What Games Are You Playing?

Rolling along with Skyward Sword. I must admit I haven't really felt this iteration. I'm also not convinced on the dungeon design, all so far being 'A puzzle a room' affair, rather than 'Entire dungeon is one giant puzzle that ultimately slots together'. A Link to the Past is sorely missed :(

But now currently flying around the thunderhead trying to wallop some giant Wind Fish wannabe. Trying is the word.

MercenaryRaiden said:
To give my new rig a decent test I thought I'd fire up Sonic Generations. I was going to wait till I had a wired 360 pad...but I got pretty impatient D:

I'm fairly surprised actually, this is rather good! So far the level designs seem pretty damn good and have a decent mix of variety in the way you can tackle them, the game itself looks gorgeous and the music has some wonderful remixes. The first 3 levels being Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary are spot on for me. I adored each and every one of them in their respective games - and it seems as though Sega have a sense of humour about the past games in these early cutscenes.

If you've never played Sonic Colours, then please excuse the Planet Wisp level - it is a truly atrocious imagining of it. Completely screwed it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Takeshi said:
MercenaryRaiden said:
To give my new rig a decent test I thought I'd fire up Sonic Generations. I was going to wait till I had a wired 360 pad...but I got pretty impatient D:

I'm fairly surprised actually, this is rather good! So far the level designs seem pretty damn good and have a decent mix of variety in the way you can tackle them, the game itself looks gorgeous and the music has some wonderful remixes. The first 3 levels being Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary are spot on for me. I adored each and every one of them in their respective games - and it seems as though Sega have a sense of humour about the past games in these early cutscenes.

If you've never played Sonic Colours, then please excuse the Planet Wisp level - it is a truly atrocious imagining of it. Completely screwed it up.

I have not actually! I have heard good things about it though and am looking to purchase it when i'm done with my current Wii backlog (Which only consists of Xenoblade but...It's Xenoblade.) I shall be wary of that level then :D

Although speaking of levels, serving me with Speed Highway and City Escape after the initial three? I think this game wants me to love it. Heck I think I do love it...I enjoyed the small challenges that it throws to you once you beat the initial three levels. It does feel like padding in a way, but a good kind of padding and not one that goes against the game.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lo5HIkCvXkc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lo5HIkCvXkc?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

On Torneko's chapter right now.

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the weekend. Loved. Every. Bit. Of. It.

Playing Alpha Protocol - Cute girls, cool spies, terrible stealth and AI, fun run-n-gun.

Somewhere around a third of the way through FFXIII-2, maybe. Trying to choose between my Behemoth and my Puchinero as the attacker in my monster party.

Started Resident Evil: Revelations. I want to be different to everyone else and say: 'Graphics? Bah! No real time shadow effects, except on your partner. Poor.' Just to be antagonistic.

But with the CCP it feels like a hybrid of REmake and RE4 (that is after you get used to it and you're not pirouetting around like a drunken ballet dancer on ice). So far the ship IS the mansion, feels so similar. That scanning mechanic, though... bringing Metroid Prime into this feels weird. It also does seem that it's building up the events for 6 (nicely ignoring 4 and 5 ever existed), and I'm not even an hour into it. Also being able to change the voices into the original Japanese is a treat, can't remember, but surely this is a first for the series?

At the same time playing through RE3: Nemesis. First time in about 10 years. Infinite machine gun and rocket launcher is the only way to navigate the streets. I swear I also only had 1 more epilogue to unlock, getting Sherry's years ago. But apparently not :?

Max Takeshi said:
Started Resident Evil: Revelations. I want to be different to everyone else and say: 'Graphics? Bah! No real time shadow effects, except on your partner. Poor.' Just to be antagonistic.

But with the CCP it feels like a hybrid of REmake and RE4 (that is after you get used to it and you're not pirouetting around like a drunken ballet dancer on ice). So far the ship IS the mansion, feels so similar. That scanning mechanic, though... bringing Metroid Prime into this feels weird. It also does seem that it's building up the events for 6 (nicely ignoring 4 and 5 ever existed), and I'm not even an hour into it. Also being able to change the voices into the original Japanese is a treat, can't remember, but surely this is a first for the series?

At the same time playing through RE3: Nemesis. First time in about 10 years. Infinite machine gun and rocket launcher is the only way to navigate the streets. I swear I also only had 1 more epilogue to unlock, getting Sherry's years ago. But apparently not :?

Yeah pretty sure that's a first. How unusual, but any additional feature is a good thing I guess =) In fairness, RE4 was Leon's thing so it would be unlikely to reference it since all the RE4 stuff was tied up neatly at the end of that game really.

Finally finished Skyward Sword today, I don't think it's as good as some of the reviews made out, but I do think it could be considered a flawed masterpiece.
SOME of the game is truly excellent - the visuals are far and away the best on the Wii (although they do remind you of the limitations of the Wii), the orchestral soundtrack is excellent, the story focus and dabbling with new features like upgrading your items are great.

This being said, the game is let down by far too little variation and too much repetitions; unlike previous Zeldas where you'd often get used to at least 5-6 fairly diffent zones, in SS, you spend much of your time in just 3 zones, which get slightly rejigged.

So yeah, flawed masterpiece, it does some thing very right, other things, it didn't quite get.

I'm near the end of Skyward Sword now. It frustrates more than entertains, sadly :(

I haven't the foggiest where the last heart pieces are! Three left for one whole heart, and another two hearts after that. Madness.

What is most splendid about it, though, is that Nintendo saw fit to make it one of the humorous entries in the series; that is very much welcome.

Skyward Sword. Still.

Just done the Triforce dungeon in Skyloft. After bemoaning that the dungeon design seemed to lack spark and concept... this turned it around and felt like the glory days of A Link to the Past's of the entire dungeon being one huge puzzle. It done good, so it did, yep.

Also the music afterwards during Zelda's awakening was brilliant.

Commencing Operation Snake Eater >=3

Gonna play all the MGSs I have in sequence since getting the HD collection 3, Peace Walker, Metal Gear 1 and 2, Twin Snakes, 2.

THe new camera and 360 controls are SOOOOOOOOOO much better. I also remembered how much I dislike EVA. I think she's a poor character, not especially attractive despite what her chest might have you think. The way she throws herself at Snake is pretty undignified too.

She's also just kinda dumb. I mean wearing perfume in a sneaking mission? DUMB. Spending more than a split second staring at a gunshot in a gas tank? SUPER DUMB. Whining loudly about how hungry and tired she is when there are guards everywhere? MEGA DUMB >=C I dun liek her.

But then again, while it has the best gameplay 3 is probably the silliest of the MGS games, what with the insane bosses and such. I also thnk that, outside of the Boss/ Snake backstory, the main plot isn't all that super either, but it's still my favourite overall by a long way, mainly due to Snake, Boss and Ocelot. Also I kinda like the Fury just because the idea of a flamethrower wielding astronaut is so insane. (not that the other Cobras are any less sane...)

Yeah it is probably the silliest, at least of the first three games. But I loved the story and the setting and gameplay and pretty much everything. There's so much goodness in that game. Though, I think the poor dialogue and voice acting always make the games seem even more silly then they might do otherwise.

vashdaman said:
Yeah it is probably the silliest, at least of the first three games. But I loved the story and the setting and gameplay and pretty much everything. There's so much goodness in that game. Though, I think the poor dialogue and voice acting always make the games seem even more silly then they might do otherwise.

I think the voice acting's pretty good, it's just full of large hams :p It's like a full on bacon buffet. KUWABARA KUWABARA. I agree about the setting too. Jungle, 60's very cool. I'm trying to play it without resetting this time. Often with stealth games if I get spotted or am not satisfied that I've been stealthy enough, I'll let myself get killed or soft reset. I'll never do a no alert run, but being that it's a stealth game I feel like I'm letting the game down if I mess up lol. THis time I'm trying to deal with the consequences of my actions though and it's actually pretty fun, I love doing that smashdown thrown thing.

FYI any other 360 owners planning on getting the collection, it is possible to keep you rifle raised when using automatics, you just click the stick when it recoils after your last shot and it will stay raised. I'm actually finding it a lot more intuitive using stick-clicks instead of pressure-sensitve.

Yeah, that's what I meant, it's pretty damn hammy! David Hayter especially. Sometimes when he's saying a line, it's almost like he has no idea what the meaning behind the line is, so it sounds terribly odd. Some times it even sounds like he's concentrating so hard on making each syllable as gravelly as possible that he forgets how to pronounce words properly. Some of the other VA's do fare a lot better, however.

Saying that, David's voice is hilarious and he is dedicated to Metal Gear, so I give him props.

When I do get around to playing them I'm gonna go in order of release date rather than the chronological timeline, peace walker isn't part of the collection anyway and I'd worry that by the time I get to MGS2 I'll just be spoiled by the camera/controls of MGS3/PW... and maybe graphics of MGS3.

But I'll also need to dust off the wii and play twin snakes.

Back