What Games Are You Playing?

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Except that Trophies and Gamerscore are usually for playing "the most", not "the best".

That is why trophies are better than achievements. Check the platinum trophy count. Lots of platinum trophies shows that someone is fairly good.
Platinum trophies are the same as having 1000 gamerpoints in a game, it's just that the Xbox method doesn't give you an extra free trophy "for getting all the other trophies" to stroke your ego a bit more.

Pokemon Black, Final Fantasy II and Wii Sports Resort. I found it funny, while playing the Table Tennis on Sports Resort, that the mii for my opponent was also in crowd :lol:

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Except that Trophies and Gamerscore are usually for playing "the most", not "the best".

That is why trophies are better than achievements. Check the platinum trophy count. Lots of platinum trophies shows that someone is fairly good.
Same problem on XBL not all games are equal, not by a long shot.

Some achievements are a total joke to get (like ones for reaching plot milestones). Many games have mostly ones like that.
Something like DDP:DFK get into the URA loop one is as bad as have a k:d ratio of 2000:1 in some multiplayer CoD game. (and I'm fairly sure they don't ask for things like that)

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:

Platinum trophies are the same as having 1000 gamerpoints in a game, it's just that the Xbox method doesn't give you an extra free trophy "for getting all the other trophies" to stroke your ego a bit more.

On the 360 you could get 1000 points by splitting it between several games. On PS3 the only way to get a platinum is to get all the trophies in a game. Therefore trophies are better than achievements.

Reaper gI said:
Something like DDP:DFK get into the URA loop one is as bad as have a k:d ratio of 2000:1 in some multiplayer CoD game. (and I'm fairly sure they don't ask for things like that)
Wat?

DDP:DFK?
URA loop?

Que?

Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:

On the 360 you could get 1000 points by splitting it between several games. On PS3 the only way to get a platinum is to get all the trophies in a game. Therefore trophies are better than achievements.

Reaper gI said:
Wat?

URA loop?

Que?

If you'll read ilmaes' post he did say "get 1000 points in a game" and you can see which games have been 1000/1000'd in a players profile much like you can see how many platinums they've got, so it's exactly the same.

I second your comment about the DDP:DFK URA whatever though.

A quick google suggests it's a japanese shoot em up.

ilmaestro said:
Mutsumi said:
ilmaestro said:

They're not quite the same. DLC extends the upper limit of gamer score and the number of trophies, the Platinum trophy can only be reached by getting all of the original trophies, but you can get to 1000 points by doing some of the DLC content.

My honest opinion on achievements/trophies is that they're decent (generally), don't really interfere with actually playing the game and it can be quite useful to find out how far friends are through games.

Of course they're are a lot of ridiculous and stupid trophies out there that we'd be better off without.

On 360, does a person's profile display a count of how many games they had 1000/1000'd in as clear and concise a manner as the number of platinum trophies a PS3 player has earned?

Several more convenient methods exist if you want to check that (although again we are back at the backwards logic of vain, egotistical preening somehow changing The Real World), such as Giant Bomb's "S" rank. Apparently, according to MikeP, trophies are massively flawed in that you can gain the Platinum without getting all of the DLC achievements. You can never score the maximum number of gamerpoints for a game in such a roundabout manner. :s

(It is super fun to watch you defend Sony to the death in any and all matters, though)

MikeP said:
They're not quite the same.
Hopefully people understood that by "1000 gamerpoints" I was representing "the achievements the game ships with", but thank you for the clarification.

Might play Skyrim later. Haven't played it much recently, kind of blitzed it after release. My character is a female wood elf, thief/archer type, married to Aela.

Past couple of days i've been on the Kingdoms of Amalur demo a lot. You guys tried that yet? At first I only did it because I wanted the free items you unlock for Mass Effect 3 by playing it but it's actually a really good game. Got it preordered, so when that arrives in a couple of weeks time it should keep me busy until Mass Effect 3 comes out!

Oh jeez who even cares anymore? They're all just meaningless numbers, why argue over whose meaningless numbers are better? They aren't worth **** to anyone unless you have e-peen envy.

When I entered into this discussion I was trying to explain why achievements/trophies can be a good thing, but now it's just devolved into a dumb ps3 vs xbox argument which never goes anywhere so I vote we just stop now before things get ugly.

Cathe said:
Might play Skyrim later. Haven't played it much recently, kind of blitzed it after release. My character is a female wood elf, thief/archer type, married to Aela.

Past couple of days i've been on the Kingdoms of Amalur demo a lot. You guys tried that yet? At first I only did it because I wanted the free items you unlock for Mass Effect 3 by playing it but it's actually a really good game. Got it preordered, so when that arrives in a couple of weeks time it should keep me busy until Mass Effect 3 comes out!

You get items for playing a demo? That's pretty generous... normally you'd have to at least play the game proper surely?

Loading up the Amalur demo gets you an armour set to be used in Mass Effect 3 as well as a couple of things for the full version of Amalur. If you complete the Amalur demo you get a gun for Mass Effect 3.

Playing the Mass Effect 3 demo gives you daggers for Amalur but the ME3 demo doesn't come out until valentines day which is the week after Amalur's release so a bit lame but eh it's a free item. Since KoA: Reckoning is a new IP it's a good way to get people to play the demo and learn about the game since a lot of people are excited for Mass Effect 3 and thus the free items may appeal to them :)

Cathe said:
Loading up the Amalur demo gets you an armour set to be used in Mass Effect 3 as well as a couple of things for the full version of Amalur. If you complete the Amalur demo you get a gun for Mass Effect 3.

Playing the Mass Effect 3 demo gives you daggers for Amalur but the ME3 demo doesn't come out until valentines day which is the week after Amalur's release so a bit lame but eh it's a free item. Since KoA: Reckoning is a new IP it's a good way to get people to play the demo and learn about the game since a lot of people are excited for Mass Effect 3 and thus the free items may appeal to them :)

Well played Bioware...

ilmaestro said:
Several more convenient methods exist if you want to check that (although again we are back at the backwards logic of vain, egotistical preening somehow changing The Real World), such as Giant Bomb's "S" rank. Apparently, according to MikeP, trophies are massively flawed in that you can gain the Platinum without getting all of the DLC achievements. You can never score the maximum number of gamerpoints for a game in such a roundabout manner.

That is not a flaw. It would be unfair if you had to purchase DLC to get the platinum. Not everyone wants to buy all DLC.

I am not defending Sony here, I am merely emphasising the fact that they use a better system than achievements, and that both of these systems are positive additions to gaming.

Mutsumi said:
URA loop?

Que?
Hardest achievement I could think of, normally needing years of dedicated training.

DDP:DFK= DoDonPachi : DaiFukkatsu (DoDonPachi Resurrection in English)
URA loop= a hidden second loop of a shmup.

Means you have to do the first loop very near perfectly. In this case no deaths allowed, only one bomb use allowed, and collect all the hidden bee items. Not dying and collecting the bees also makes the difficulty skyrocket towards the end.

Should take approx 1 year of solid training (maybe longer), or 5+ years playing the genre very seriously.

Suffice to say no one who plays this looks at the achievements much, they look where your highscore is ranked.

Mutsumi said:
That is not a flaw. It would be unfair if you had to purchase DLC to get the platinum. Not everyone wants to buy all DLC.
Feels like the best players would though, if they really wanted to show Mummy that they were the best. :s

Sparrowsabre7 said:
When I entered into this discussion I was trying to explain why achievements/trophies can be a good thing, but now it's just devolved into a dumb ps3 vs xbox argument which never goes anywhere so I vote we just stop now before things get ugly.
A more than fair point.

Mutsumi said:
I am not defending Sony here, I am merely emphasising the fact that they use a better system than achievements, and that both of these systems are positive additions to gaming.
Can I just say that I think neither of these systems are a positive addition to gaming, and that they've always struck me as a laughable attempt to make people feel like they're achieving something while all they're actually doing is enjoying an entirely pointless, time-wasting game? I'd be the last person to judge anyone for enjoying games to the point of obsession (I'm rather embarrassed that my friends on Steam can see the amount of time I've spent on Skyrim in the last few days) but... why not just be comfortable with the ultimate futility of gaming?

ayase said:
Mutsumi said:
Can I just say that I think neither of these systems are a positive addition to gaming, and that they've always struck me as a laughable attempt to make people feel like they're achieving something while all they're actually doing is enjoying an entirely pointless, time-wasting game? I'd be the last person to judge anyone for enjoying games to the point of obsession (I'm rather embarrassed that my friends on Steam can see the amount of time I've spent on Skyrim in the last few days) but... why not just be comfortable with the ultimate futility of gaming?
They may be ultimately superficial, but they can help create competition between friends who do not necessarily play the same games. For many years, games have had little extra things to unlock for completing certain tasks. Trophies and achievements are simply a universal way of recognising these that exists outside of the game itself, where what you have done can contribute to a universal high score.

ayase said:
Mutsumi said:

I'm very comfortable with it. I've acknowledged I'm going to have to sink over 70 hours into Persona 3 to finish it (over 100 if I continue on to the FES epilogue) and that's time I ain't gettin' back :p

To give my new rig a decent test I thought I'd fire up Sonic Generations. I was going to wait till I had a wired 360 pad...but I got pretty impatient D:

I'm fairly surprised actually, this is rather good! So far the level designs seem pretty damn good and have a decent mix of variety in the way you can tackle them, the game itself looks gorgeous and the music has some wonderful remixes. The first 3 levels being Green Hill, Chemical Plant and Sky Sanctuary are spot on for me. I adored each and every one of them in their respective games - and it seems as though Sega have a sense of humour about the past games in these early cutscenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm being really slow with my gaming recently, dabbling in Runespell and Shogun 2 with my brother on the PC recently, still making my way through Zelda Skyward Sword on the Wii at the same time.

I have a really hefty list of titles to get through on both platforms, so combined with other things going on, they should keep me going for some time!
That said I would like to pickup Skyrim when it goes under £20 again, as a lot of people who know I didnt get on too well with Oblivion have recommended this one to me as probably more aligned with my tastes.

Back