What Games Are You Playing?

Mass Effect (PC)

STEAM had it on sale for £3.25, I couldn't resist. I've never played this game, so I figure if I like this i'll pick up Mass Effect 2.

I finished the first Resident Evil on PS1 last night at about half 3 in the morning (last night ... in the morning - it was before I went to bed, anyway!). There is so much hype around this game so I can only assume that it hasn't aged well at all. So many aspects of the game seem positively ancient (loading times after every door, horrifically bad voice acting, limits on saving, overwhelming difficultly especially with chimeras and hunters and many of the puzzles are insanely frustrating, inability to discard items, etc.). Still, there are flashes of brilliance there and I can see why it was such a big hit over 12 years ago. The story (as told through the setting, the various files and letters found around the house; not as told through the cutscenes) was great, it was very atmospheric and it does seem very polished. I rate it as 7/10 (although I think 6/10 wouldn't be unfair ...). I'll still play Resident Evil 2 and 3 - the first one was good enough to warrant playing the next 2, and I adore Resident Evil 4 and 5 so it's cool to get the backstory :]

Resident Evil 2 is easily the best game in the entire series, it was the one that actually scared me the most back when I was like... twelve.

Is it any less difficult? Are saving typewriters more frequent, are the objectives for each part of the game less ambiguous, is the voice acting any better? Will I need to use a guide to get the good ending? I used a guide with the first game and I know it would have been impossible to meet all of the requirements on the first playthrough (or even second and third playthroughs!).

CitizenGeek said:
Is it any less difficult?
I'd say it's a little more difficult than the first, but not too bad.

CitizenGeek said:
Are saving typewriters more frequent

They're spread out quite a bit early on but as you progress into the game there is a little one too many, like you can save every 5 minutes or so near the end of the game.

CitizenGeek said:
are the objectives for each part of the game less ambiguous
I'd say it's a little more straight forward than the first game but still as challenging when it comes to puzzles and such.

CitizenGeek said:
is the voice acting any better?
Yes... but it's not that big a difference.

CitizenGeek said:
Will I need to use a guide to get the good ending?
Nope, there's only two possible endings for both Leon and Claire, don't worry about that though, it'll spoil the surprise if you do finish it.

I'd say try not using a guide for this one as long as you can, I got like two hours in and got stuck on one part and had to ask my friends older brother for help with it, after that though I was fine. Of course if you get -really- stuck then yeah, use one because the game is a bit harder than the first.

Also picked up on Wild Arms 4 tonight, got passed Beliel and I'm in the forest now, this game is honestly... really good, the drama isn't all that unrealistic and characters don't do extremely stupid things, I am pleased with this game so far.

Last dungeon on Final Fantasy IV DS, then onto Mass Effect. Oh, I also got Professor Layton and Pandora's Box this christmas, but my brain needs to rest a bit.

Also got the Doom pack, Audiosurf and Osmos in the Steam sales. I've already sold my old copy of the Doom 3 expansion for the same price I purchased the entire series for. Everything's coming up Millhouse.

Been working my way through Phoenix Wright for a good while now. Onto the third title now: Trials and Tribulations. Damn good i will say. Godot wasn't what i expected, but there we go.

Also about to start Cross Edge for the PS3(as i'm home). Not sure what to expect, all i know is its good to see japanese voices as an option for once.

Just started on Bayonetta an hour ago. Quite nice i will say. Still not too far in though, so can't really give a solid view on it just yet.

my mate had a splinter cell collection on his ps2 so i'm borrowing 3 of those from him.

Plus i've fired up dragon quest 8, and got further in it then i previously had the game before (I had it on loan for a while)

Finished Wild Arms 4 today, was a good experience overall, a little short but still a solid JRPG, lack of ridiculous melodrama or retarded feats such as surviving explosions at point blank range in cutscenes really made me appreciate it more so than most JRPGs this gen.

Had a sudden urge to crank out some Gamecube games today to play alongside Tales of Symphonia so I got... Resident Evil Zero, REmake and Viewtiful Joe. If I can find anywhere which still sells Gamecube games wouldn't mind filling in the gaps with what I still need for my collection.

Got a PS3 with my B'day moneys!! (plus a little savings).
Been caining Assasins Creed 2 since! Watched my old house mate play threw the first one so I thought I'd jump right into the action. Also playing Little Big Planet with the Mrs. I love sack men! (that's sack men! not men's sacks... as long as we're clear).
:p

Voddas said:
Got a PS3 with my B'day moneys!! (plus a little savings).
Been caining Assasins Creed 2 since! Watched my old house mate play threw the first one so I thought I'd jump right into the action. Also playing Little Big Planet with the Mrs. I love sack men! (that's sack men! not men's sacks... as long as we're clear).
:p

Add me on PSN bro. Mikami201

Been chipping away at Tales of Symphonia with my free hours, about 20 hours into the game, got all the party members now, some of them I like, some of them I don't. The story also has a very good back story, but the actual story for the game leaves a lot to be desired, damn.

Characters I do like:

Kratos - "FEEL THE PAIN OF THOSE INFERIOR BEINGS... AS YOU BURN IN HELL!" apart from that one terrible line, Cam Clarke is the man as Kratos.

Sheena - If she wasn't so unsure about herself and so... clumsy she'd be a very strong character.

Presea - She isn't very talkative but she's certainly an interesting character, also fairly tragic and for a female in a Tales game ISN'T a stupid female. She gets the Gold.

Characters I'm neutral about:

Lloyd - Typical dumb hero kid, can't hate him since he isn't overly emotional about things like most JRPG protagonists, but some of the things he says are so facepalm worthy.

Raine - Support character in pretty much every aspect of the game, she's alright but not a favourite.

Genis - Can make me laugh along with Zelos, but he has his good and bad, so he's stuck here.

Regal - Only just got him, he's pretty awesome in battle and he's not a teenager AND voiced by Crispin Freeman so it's a plus, once I find out more about him I'll decide.

Characters I don't like:

Colette - This bitch is DUMB, let me tell you, her happy-go-lucky ^____^ attitude doesn't cut it, obviously Japan is in love with her.

Zelos - Good in battle and can make me laugh, but his attitude and general character makes me rage, he's just a pervert but unlike Colette he has some redeeming factors. Ironically they're both the Chosen too.

Music is really good too, probably bests Vesperia in terms of music.

Also re-started Resident Evil 0, I'm 2 hours in, this game has a decent story to tell, but it can be REALLY frustrating, the drop system is so bad, why can't they have eight slots instead of six? I'll give this a bit more time over the weekend and get it done then, I want them costumes for Rebecca and Billy. Also, Resident Evil 6 needs Billy as the lead character, seriously.

Games I'm playing are, in descending order:

Batman:AA (Great game, can't wait for the second one.)

Darksiders (Just started playing and good so far.)

Assassins creed 2 (great game, just gets really repetitive like the first one.)

Resident Evil 5 (Playing through on 2 player, shame the PS version wont multi login.)

Wanted (Rented and don't recommend you buy. It's quite sort and not at all hard.)

Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (mainly just 2 player, single player gets boring quickly.)

H.A.W.X (Not hugely interesting, but a good flight game.)

At this very moment, FF12, purely cause I need to start finishing the games I started when I was really busy, I want to do that before I start playing the games I actually -want- to play. Figure I'll do it like I do food, eating the one I like least first. :p

Other in progress games to work on are (being poor keeps you pretty far behind :p): Dirge of Cerberus, Blue Dragon (not fond of it but I hear it's long >_<), Kameo.

Back