What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

How is it so hard for companies graphic design teams or people to keep consistency with releases.
Preaching to the choir there. That’s been a consistent complaint of mine for what, about fourteen years now? And apparently no-one responsible for cover design has yet seen fit to employ something like say, a template that keeps things like company logos and BBFC ratings the same size and in the same place.

Speaking of p*ss-poor graphic design, I recently received my new Tory blue passport. To say this was supposed to be the most British and patriotic crowning (and apparently only) achievement of brexit, this thing looks positively Soviet. Where my old burgundy booklet of subservience to our EU overlords had colourful scenes of British landscapes and nature on every page, this one just has the same washed-out geometric shapes. Where once there were seagulls, sailing boats and country cottages the only decoration adorning the pages of my new passport is my own miserable black-and-white gulag mugshot. I at least expected a laughing Nigel Farage watermark, perhaps a hologram that gives the bearer Boris Johnson’s hair or a little flip book of a barely moving queue of lorries at Dover. Instead, the hologram of one of the petals of the Welsh daffodil over my portrait just appears to give me a Hitler moustache in a certain light.

Preaching to the choir there. That’s been a consistent complaint of mine for what, about fourteen years now? And apparently no-one responsible for cover design has yet seen fit to employ something like say, a template that keeps things like company logos and BBFC ratings the same size and in the same place.

Speaking of p*ss-poor graphic design, I recently received my new Tory blue passport. To say this was supposed to be the most British and patriotic crowning (and apparently only) achievement of brexit, this thing looks positively Soviet. Where my old burgundy booklet of subservience to our EU overlords had colourful scenes of British landscapes and nature on every page, this one just has the same washed-out geometric shapes. Where once there were seagulls, sailing boats and country cottages the only decoration adorning the pages of my new passport is my own miserable black-and-white gulag mugshot. I at least expected a laughing Nigel Farage watermark, perhaps a hologram that gives the bearer Boris Johnson’s hair or a little flip book of a barely moving queue of lorries at Dover. Instead, the hologram of one of the petals of the Welsh daffodil over my portrait just appears to give me a Hitler moustache in a certain light.
Ah yes the blue passport.
The most British and patriotic crowning achievement of brexit*

*produced in Poland by a French-Dutch company.

Most of my collection is Baccanno style with a few showing the logo, I think the early days had the mentioned issues but I would say most of AL (at least what I own) is pretty consistant. (ignore the gaps, I lent a few shows to my brother)

View attachment 26171
Yeah you've been very lucky in your purchase choices, the only ones you really own with the SE spine are Durarara as both Lupin & Eden of the East have the plain spine with logo under the O-Cards.
I think I notice it more because I've been there since day 1, I had Perfect Blue & Cowboy Bebop pre ordered (their 1st releases) and up until about 2 years ago I bought almost every release they did so It stood out more to me 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much the only AL CE's I have unpacked at the moment:
16632526526661208914385688561935.jpg

When I'm back at home I'll post some pics of a really cute set of coasters I got from Homesense that have lovely seaside art with seagulls and various other Brighton-y things, to cheer you up a bit :) But yes I agree though my passport is long out of date and I haven't gotten around to replacing it cuz the form is sooo complicated 😭🤔😅

I have been debating making a thread in the creative section about my home made covers for awhile but just never got around to it, I would be more than happy to share the ones I have made so far. I could even show you what they look like in Blu Ray cases since I have replaced the old AL covers and I could give a tutorial on how to print them off as its quite simple.
Custom covers are interesting and I tried dipping my toe in it once myself. If you had any suggestions for what paper you need for consitency with official covers I am all ears.
Yes please, advice on custom covers would be be greatly appreciated! Though I'm sure I'd still likely be atrocious at it... Nevertheless, ever since getting the season 2 sibling-less Monogatari boxset, I have always thought how nice it would be if I could just make my own covers/digipaks/boxes/whatever.

Some more new items!

Black-Butler.jpg

Macross-Delta-Movie.jpg

Madoka-Magica-Box.jpg

OddTaxi.jpg

When I'm back at home I'll post some pics of a really cute set of coasters I got from Homesense that have lovely seaside art with seagulls and various other Brighton-y things, to cheer you up a bit :) But yes I agree though my passport is long out of date and I haven't gotten around to replacing it cuz the form is sooo complicated 😭🤔😅
As long as you're still in possession of your most recently issued passport (regardless of whether it's still valid or not) the process is massively simplified. You don't really need anything other than the old passport and new photos (well, and to be aware of who you are and where you live) and you only have to fill in a small fraction of that daunting form. The rest is only if you're applying for your first adult passport, or can't provide your previous one due to loss.

September Haul - Batch #3

Another month has passed, and we now have another Discotek Media haul! This haul was £287 ($330) worth of stuff, with a big emphasis on classics and cult hits.

48VQMVfh.jpg

5m43o6Nh.jpg

7rPAGKch.jpg

MZwYsRIh.jpg

HOxECkth.jpg

gEiQanCh.jpg

5gpjfqYh.jpg

BbvBTLHh.jpg

K53Xv7Rh.jpg

DLAfRFPh.jpg

0FVIxi9h.jpg

gYuXHi8h.jpg

DS646qhh.jpg

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, from Yuzo Takada and Ashi Productions. The Discotek set covers both the TV series, OVAs & DASH!!, plus a UK dub for 3 OVA eps. Looked like a hidden gem and came from the 90s so I picked it up! Blue Seed, also written by Yuzo Takada and co-produced by Ashi Pro & Production I.G in the 90s. The Discotek set does include the OVAs as well. I was going to acquire this sci-fi series in the previous batch but now it's here!

Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth, the classic 1982 Toei film. Admittedly I've not watched the original series, but I did watch the Harlock: Space Pirate film many years ago and always wanted to revisit the franchise since. Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!, studio Ufotable's cult classic 2007 series. While many people prefer Ufotable's recent stuff (Demon Slayer, Tales of, Fate) I always found their older catalog interesting, so it was really cool that Discotek licensed this slice-of-life series.

N5ScTkhh.jpg

OCXya5Kh.jpg

xcUXHPth.jpg

jWhaB1Fh.jpg

Avljafmh.jpg

COldJSBh.jpg

tQbJGf9h.jpg

yyb1om3h.jpg

stmwxh3h.jpg

hkPadXzh.jpg

ep2aWyAh.jpg

LuLx8Ish.jpg

z9e0t7Ah.jpg

FdgaenUh.jpg

VTbm2Ouh.jpg

Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos, 1986 mecha series from Ashi Productions. I heard this was a fun series and worth owning so I picked it up, especially since Discotek is releasing Battle Hackers in the future. This release also includes the OVAs. Ninja Senshi Tobikage (Ninja Robots), 1985 studio Pierrot series known for its infamous English dub. The dub alone was the reason why I was interested in owning the series, heck it took Discotek about 18+ months to search for all of the dub stuff so that's an achievement alone.

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer, the second film in the series and directed by Mamoru Oshii back in 1984. Pretty excited to own a film from this franchise and nice to finally check this one out. Urusei Yatsura: Only You, the first film in the series and also directed by Mamoru Oshii in 1983. Yep, I also grabbed this one as well, so I now own the first two films so far. Will be picking up the rest.

GDvsdVZh.jpg

And now that's 8 more added to the Discotek section. More to come.

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, from Yuzo Takada and Ashi Productions. The Discotek set covers both the TV series, OVAs & DASH!!, plus a UK dub for 3 OVA eps.
I still have that old UK VHS tape. It was the only title released under the Crusader Video label, and is probably the only time you'll hear an anime character speak with a scouse accent.
Blue Seed, also written by Yuzo Takada and co-produced by Ashi Pro & Production I.G in the 90s.
Great show with an interesting story that builds on Japanese mythology in a memorable way. Also the surreal omake videos are hilarious.

Bargain basement VR headset for Switch. Since I have astigmatism, I wanted to check if I can focus on the screen before considering something more expensive like PSVR2. It turns out that my eyes are more compatible with VR than they are with reality. I didn't even need my glasses, and I normally wear those for everything.

View attachment 26240
history repeats itself
maxresdefault.jpg

Got collector's edition for one of my favorite RTS games. They could have gone with more interesting image on the box but it's still a nice box. The content is nothing too fancy (same sort of stuff as the WOW CE's) but the artbook is nice.

View attachment 26243
Aaah, this takes me back. Don't recall anticipating a game more than this one after the first trailer and boy did it live up to expectations.

Back