What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

New arrivals!

Demon-Slayer.jpg

Talesof-Hey-Listen.jpg

Full-Metal-Slayers.jpg

Received today, from Anime Blu-ray:

Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Parts 1 & 2 - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)

20220914_114813.jpg

Part 2 Bonus Booklet.

20220914_115118.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Film & OVA - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) (with bonus storage box)

20220914_115006.jpg

Received today, from UP1:

Sword Art Online Platinum Collector's Edition Novel Box Set

20220914_115535.jpg

Received today from cdjapan proxy service

Liz and the bluebird (no English subs/dub) - I already have the pet slipcover version but i wanted a proper slip to match the JP eupho sets, I went with the Amazon version with an outer box just to be extra posh.

Full metal panic season 1-3 (English audio with forced JP subs) - these are a lot smaller than I was expecting, they’re square shaped rather than the usual size but I’m still happy with them at £30ish a pop.167C67DF-E80F-41A9-AA43-C0515571FB57.jpeg3BA8228C-97AA-43E4-B93B-04C63498FA8D.jpegDDBB3892-3E67-4747-89F4-13BCE216716B.jpeg412F9E8D-4F38-4430-97B8-8034E682CDEE.jpeg0B29E901-B9C6-40A4-A758-DEA0037537F3.jpeg0C925881-5A1C-410F-BB6C-404E9907169B.jpegFEAA171B-B71A-4362-A8F2-5E2A4C8E886E.jpegE49F370D-E311-48E7-A13F-482FEB2D10F3.jpeg77B13A12-DDCC-453C-A765-B75729CD70D8.jpegA9A5E41A-5E1E-49F5-A76D-6E3F5D4A4B79.jpeg

The end of consistency 😢
If it makes you feel any better, you never had consistency from the start! The age markings aren't aligned between Season 1 and Season 2 plus it's a different color/fill. Add in different font sizes for "My Hero Academia" and the Season boxes (which are also not aligned), it was a lost cause to begin with.

I understand your pain. Yen Press does the exact same crap with their manga/LNs.

Liz and the bluebird (no English subs/dub) - I already have the pet slipcover version but i wanted a proper slip to match the JP eupho sets, I went with the Amazon version with an outer box just to be extra posh.

Full metal panic season 1-3 (English audio with forced JP subs) - these are a lot smaller than I was expecting, they’re square shaped rather than the usual size but I’m still happy with them at £30ish a pop.View attachment 26152View attachment 26153View attachment 26162View attachment 26164View attachment 26161View attachment 26156View attachment 26157View attachment 26158View attachment 26159View attachment 26163
Loving the Liz set, it's beautiful. Shame there is no engrish at all in that otherwise I'd definitely have put an order in.

Absolutely gorgeous set, the outer box looks amazing, just like the Amazon limited box for the 3rd movie. I've been on the fence about this myself, I might eventually get it but for now, it's hard to justify shelling out 14,000 yen for the Amazon version with the outer box.

If it makes you feel any better, you never had consistency from the start! The age markings aren't aligned between Season 1 and Season 2 plus it's a different color/fill. Add in different font sizes for "My Hero Academia" and the Season boxes (which are also not aligned), it was a lost cause to begin with.

I understand your pain. Yen Press does the exact same crap with their manga/LNs.
Very true but with regards to a Manga/Funimation release different logo sizes and alignments are a given. Don't even look at the steelbooks 🤦‍♂️
I was referring to the MHA Season sets coming with slipcovers though 🙂

Also recieved from Zavvi delivery purgatory which I ordered about 4wks ago 🤷‍♂️ better late than never!

View attachment 26166

This is one thing that bugs me to no end. How is it so hard for companies graphic design teams or people to keep consistency with releases. Its like they don't even put them on the shelf next to each other to see how it would look. Manga UK/Funimation are the worst offenders by far but MVM with there shifting bbfc logos from top to middle to bottom can't escape it either. For the most part AL is pretty consistent with their CEs and SEs but their SEs graphic design is straight up the ugliest design I have ever seen for Blu Rays. So for me theres no winning unless I make my own covers which I do for AL SEs.

This is one thing that bugs me to no end. How is it so hard for companies graphic design teams or people to keep consistency with releases. Its like they don't even put them on the shelf next to each other to see how it would look. Manga UK/Funimation are the worst offenders by far but MVM with there shifting bbfc logos from top to middle to bottom can't escape it either. For the most part AL is pretty consistent with their CEs and SEs but their SEs graphic design is straight up the ugliest design I have ever seen for Blu Rays. So for me theres no winning unless I make my own covers which I do for AL SEs.
100% agree, it pisses me off more when it's simply parts 1 & 2 of the same series! MVM I kinda cut some slack because they're a smaller company and just add their logo & BBFC to whatever art the US or AU put out.
Disagree on AL CE consistency 😂 their CE spine design is like someone threw darts at a board overall.
Their SE's are what I'd call 'overdesigned' if that's even a word. They're designed to be consistent at the cost of aesthetic. I get why, AL want that brick and mortar shop placement and the normies to buy it.
Which is good in theory and I'm sure sounded good when they were drawing up plans originally but when you're years deep and got 100's of releases they all blend into one on the shop shelf and nothing differentiates them or makes them stand out...

I'd love to see your home made designs!
Myself I'm also no artist and also no photoshop expert, but if i was first thing I'd do is drop the film/season bar put that on the back it doesn't need to be on the spine.
Shrink the AL elephant by about 30 - 40%.
Drop the BBFC on the spine! you're a boutique label and not having it doesn't seem to hurt Arrow, Eureka, 88films in HMV, if anything they're thriving.
With that you've just freed up about 60% of you're average AL SE spine, use it to give the logo of the anime more room and the image at the top more breathing room 🤷‍♂️

100% agree, it pisses me off more when it's simply parts 1 & 2 of the same series! MVM I kinda cut some slack because they're a smaller company and just add their logo & BBFC to whatever art the US or AU put out.
Disagree on AL CE consistency 😂 their CE spine design is like someone threw darts at a board overall.
Their SE's are what I'd call 'overdesigned' if that's even a word. They're designed to be consistent at the cost of aesthetic. I get why, AL want that brick and mortar shop placement and the normies to buy it.
Which is good in theory and I'm sure sounded good when they were drawing up plans originally but when you're years deep and got 100's of releases they all blend into one on the shop shelf and nothing differentiates them or makes them stand out...

I'd love to see your home made designs!
Myself I'm also no artist and also no photoshop expert, but if i was first thing I'd do is drop the film/season bar put that on the back it doesn't need to be on the spine.
Shrink the AL elephant by about 30 - 40%.
Drop the BBFC on the spine! you're a boutique label and not having it doesn't seem to hurt Arrow, Eureka, 88films in HMV, if anything they're thriving.
With that you've just freed up about 60% of you're average AL SE spine, use it to give the logo of the anime more room and the image at the top more breathing room 🤷‍♂️
I will give MVM some slack since I think its only 2 people that work there and its probably easier to get artwork and covers approved if its just a copy of the already approved American version. For the AL CEs I have I think its pretty consistent but Konosuba sticks out.

I have been debating making a thread in the creative section about my home made covers for awhile but just never got around to it, I would be more than happy to share the ones I have made so far. I could even show you what they look like in Blu Ray cases since I have replaced the old AL covers and I could give a tutorial on how to print them off as its quite simple.

I will give MVM some slack since I think its only 2 people that work there and its probably easier to get artwork and covers approved if its just a copy of the already approved American version. For the AL CEs I have I think its pretty consistent but Konosuba sticks out.

I have been debating making a thread in the creative section about my home made covers for awhile but just never got around to it, I would be more than happy to share the ones I have made so far. I could even show you what they look like in Blu Ray cases since I have replaced the old AL covers and I could give a tutorial on how to print them off as its quite simple.
Custom covers are interesting and I tried dipping my toe in it once myself. If you had any suggestions for what paper you need for consitency with official covers I am all ears.

For the AL CEs I have I think its pretty consistent but Konosuba sticks out.
I'm gonna guess you're pretty new to the world of AL. I will fully give it to them, yes they are pretty consistent now. Now being the last 2 years but oh boy before that did they go all out on seeing what stuck.
Their first CE's were just rigid cases with the SE type spine then after a year or 2 they put out a Baccano CE clean box, clean spine, just the logo. Jobs done you've nailed it just keep doing that.... nope.
They continued to do the rigid case SE spine but also threw in top load rigid case SE spine but only the top part of the spine, the BBFC was on a bellybar (Space Dandy s1)
Top load rigid case with blank spine and SE spine on O-Card (Space Dandy s2)
Rigid case with SE spine and O-Card with SE spine (Royal Space Force)
Rigid case blank spine and O-Card with SE spine (Patama Inverted)
+ Others I'm sure but most my collection is packed away atm.

Point is they pretty much had the winning design with Baccano that they seem to have adopted for 99% of their releases now with the odd one that slips through with the SE spine (Psycho Pass: SotS, Castlevania s2) which I'm guessing is to match the previous release?
So lord only knows why they decided to mix and match the other designs for years before thinking yup we had it right already 🤷‍♂️

This arrived today from Zavvi. Thankfully the BBFC stickers were removable but be careful with removing the info sheet as the glue is very stubborn.

I guess I'll be cursed into eternity with the info sheets on all of AL's Collector Edition sets... Because I can't find plastic box protectors to fit those size sets, I don't remove the shrink wrap from them, but instead cut "door flaps" in the wrap on the open side of the boxes with a razor blade to get the internals out, in order to protect the boxes from shelf wear. So, I haven't been able to remove any of the info sheets from the back of the chipboard boxes. The glue dots on the older sets must be like cured epoxy by now, ne'er to be removable, lol.

Back