What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

Received Journey to Agartha from @Gemsy-chan and Gangsta from AL.
fuqLHex.jpg

Received this a couple of days ago

Slayers - Season 1 - BD from Selecta Vision (Spanish Release)

GIt2Q6U.jpg

For my thoughts on the release open the spoiler below :3 (Tad lengthy, and quite a few pictures. Shows what the PQ of a few episodes is like)

The release is an upscale based on the Japanese DVDs I believe. This was released in Spain this year, and apparently the encode matches the work of a Korean fan (something like that) in terms of where detail is lost, and how parts of the footage ghosts due to some aggressive upscale techniques used.

Pictures of the digipack artwork
n0SdC1j.jpg

fcb9oR7.jpg

PXdjWT9.jpg

The release itself isn't that bad as long as you can forgive the fact its an upscale, and not a rescan of the original film. The release is presented on three discs stored in a 4 panel digipack featuring art of the characters, and contains a booklet containing the history of the slayers world, character introductions and design work, and a map showing their journey across the continent as they travel through the season.

The book also contains artwork from the sets, Anime references that you may of missed, and a history of the shows broadcast in Spain.

Pictures from the booklet

Lina Design Page
zkcy1Bb.jpg

XQLJLBw.jpg
The Journey they traveled
imz5tVV.jpg
Anime references you may of missed, and History behind the show in Spain
NL9OW1L.jpg

misIfao.jpg

In terms of Picture quality the anime as stated is a slightly aggressive upscaling of the original DVD masters of the show. This means the lines aren't that sharp, and the upscaling process has removed some detail in far background scenes such as the tiles on houses being harder to see, and so on. The colour has been somewhat improved. While you could make some of the better improvement yourself if you have the right technology knowledge to the DVDs for many its easier to just own a set with a somewhat decent upscale than trying to upscale a DVD themselves.

Here are some example scenes between MVM's DVD release of Slayers S1, and the Spanish BD
Episode 4
MVM's
KKfw9ku.png

Selectia Vision
dFjtqsX.jpg
Episode 7
MVM's
sFi2pSf.png

Selectia Vision
48Ylwqp.jpg
Episode 9
MVM's
2kvBmZx.png

Selectia Vision
0uz86ev.jpg

The episodes are provided roughly 3.61GBs per, and contain two audio tracks, and two subtitle tracks. The audio on the release is Japanese, and Spanish but unfortunately for Spanish listeners the dub was retrieved off old VHS masters meaning the quality of the Spanish track is quite low.

The set does lack any english options so while I find the set a good release for Slayers in a world lacking proper BD masters I'd say unless your willing to either provide your own subtitles, or mux in the English dub yourself then the release will not be for you.

The Mediainfo on Episode 1
General
Unique ID : 194186885378984454140666049531606032612 (0x921708A2E9F0EF368E92953228A160E4)
Complete name : E:\Plex\SLAYERS\Slayers - S01E01 - Angry Lina's Furious Dragon Slave!.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 3.61 GiB
Duration : 22 min 24 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 23.1 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2017-11-30 20:29:13
Writing application : MakeMKV v1.10.7 win(x64-release)
Writing library : libmakemkv v1.10.7 (1.3.3/1.4.4) win(x64-release)

Video
ID : 1
ID in the original source medium : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 20.0 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate : 35.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.402
Stream size : 3.13 GiB (87%)
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Original source medium : Blu-ray

Audio #1
ID : 2
ID in the original source medium : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 242 MiB (7%)
Title : Stereo
Language : Spanish
Default : Yes

Audio #2
ID : 3
ID in the original source medium : 4353 (0x1101)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 242 MiB (7%)
Title : Stereo
Language : Japanese

Text #1
ID : 4
ID in the original source medium : 4608 (0x1200)
Format : PGS
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration : 22 min 8 s
Bit rate : 6 037 b/s
Count of elements : 78
Stream size : 979 KiB (0%)

Text #2
ID : 6
ID in the original source medium : 4609 (0x1201)
Format : PGS
Codec ID : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration : 22 min 21 s
Bit rate : 46.6 kb/s
Count of elements : 628
Stream size : 7.45 MiB (0%)

The last week's arrivals, all from Zavvi (and only because they had a discount code). The risk of buying from Zavvi is that they tend to use jiffy bags. Overlord and Anthem made it in perfect condition thankfully, though Hana has a badly crushed slipcover (which seems to have happened in the factory, as I don't see how being chucked about in the post could crumple the back of it like that without damaging everything under the slip as well). The others have dented corners, but nothing horrific. An acceptable trade-off for the lower price imo.
IMG_20171203_021013442.jpg

I just received my shipment from the Funimation Black Friday Week sales today - Yona of the Dawn Parts 1 & 2, Snow White with the Red Hair Part 1, and The Mystic Archives of Dantalion DVD. Oddly, Funi included a hardcover AoT book which I didn't order, and it wasn't on my Packing Slip either - no idea if this was some sort of freebie Bonus Item they were including, or if their shipping department just messed up yet again. Oh well, if I don't end up reading it, I'm sure my two daughters definitely will, since they're both heavily into AoT...

bffuni1.jpg

I find it bizarre how slipcovers are now disappearing for Funimation sets these days, I guess Funimation decided to go 'screw it' and make the slip-covers first print only or something.

Back