What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

Received this a couple of days ago

Slayers - Season 1 - BD from Selecta Vision (Spanish Release)
That still looks a damn sight better than the DVDs even if it is an upscale. Slayers has always suffered from particularly crappy DVD picture quality which is a shame because it's a pretty nice looking show, the movies and OVAs (which have had a proper HD release in Japan) especially.

I despair every time I see other European countries get awesome stuff at a reasonable price that companies can't get licences to cover the whole of Europe so they can at least have English subs. I've not paid a lot of attention to Spain (though I'm aware they have Mazinger Z on Blu-ray which I'm not sure any other territory outside Japan has) but France and Italy - They have tons of stuff we don't.

Italy gets all the friggin' Gundam faster than just about anywhere else - They already have, on BD, a box set of the complete Unicorn OVAs, Thunderbolt December Sky and local releases of Origin (they're getting Origin V in a week's time) with first press limited packaging but at a fraction of the price of the Japanese release. And they have Shin Mazinger. The only issue of course being that there's no English support. And the amount of classic '70s and '80s stuff that gets released in France makes me weep salty tears my French isn't good enough to understand it. And the only Italian I know is a combination of Winx Club songs and searching for car parts on eBay, so unless the plot of a show is "Le streghe hanno maledetto il mio carburatore" I'm out of luck.

I wonder if there's a gap in the market for a show about a magical girls' garage? I will get on the phone to Japan.

Last edited:
Italy gets all the friggin' Gundam faster than just about anywhere else - They already have, on BD, a box set of the complete Unicorn OVAs, Thunderbolt December Sky and local releases of Origin (they're getting Origin V in a week's time) with first press limited packaging but at a fraction of the price of the Japanese release.
Yes, but keep in mind that in the end the Italians are only getting a tiny fraction of the Gundam titles because there's only demand for Universal Century titles according to Dynit. Even then they're not guaranteed to perform well sales-wise, so they're only focusing on the more recent UC OVAs. Dynit has already said they're not interested in Zeta.

Hana has a badly crushed slipcover (which seems to have happened in the factory, as I don't see how being chucked about in the post could crumple the back of it like that without damaging everything under the slip as well).
Any chance of a pic of the back? I'm kinda curious to see it...

I will get on the phone to Japan.
What a great image:

"Hello, is that Japan speaking? This is ayase..." ;)

DQTGUxhW4AEtAWg.jpg

The Rightstuf package arrived! FREEDOM is here. Looked through the discs and I can confirm that the UK issue surrounding the prologue is not a problem on this set (TL;DR the Prologue segment was never dubbed so you had to manually turn on the subs in the UK release, on this version there are subs supporting the English audio option for it).

DQTGbhPW0AE_57w.jpg

DQTGc8GXUAcqPjk.jpg

DQTGZ1HWAAANFck.jpg

Items due for later this month include Ajin: Demi-Human, Claymore, and Genius Party. More to follow if Anime Ltd Xmas sales are still up to my tastes.

DQTGUxhW4AEtAWg.jpg

The Rightstuf package arrived! FREEDOM is here. Looked through the discs and I can confirm that the UK issue surrounding the prologue is not a problem on this set (TL;DR the Prologue segment was never dubbed so you had to manually turn on the subs in the UK release, on this version there are subs supporting the English audio option for it).

DQTGbhPW0AE_57w.jpg

DQTGc8GXUAcqPjk.jpg

DQTGZ1HWAAANFck.jpg

Items due for later this month include Ajin: Demi-Human, Claymore, and Genius Party. More to follow if Anime Ltd Xmas sales are still up to my tastes.
Awwwww that toradora

DQTGUxhW4AEtAWg.jpg

DQTGbhPW0AE_57w.jpg

DQTGc8GXUAcqPjk.jpg

DQTGZ1HWAAANFck.jpg

That set is a lot thicker than I thought it would be, god damn!

Yes, but keep in mind that in the end the Italians are only getting a tiny fraction of the Gundam titles because there's only demand for Universal Century titles according to Dynit. Even then they're not guaranteed to perform well sales-wise, so they're only focusing on the more recent UC OVAs. Dynit has already said they're not interested in Zeta.
I wasn’t actually aware of that (since it’s not about magic alternators I’d have no way of knowing) but it’s interesting to know. Surprising they’re not interested in Z if it’s UC that sells. I didn’t really notice the absence of non-UC stuff since really, I can take or leave most of it.

What a great image:

"Hello, is that Japan speaking? This is ayase..." ;)
I think their first question would probably be “Which one?”

DawuEM2.jpg

My copy of The Ancient Magus Bride Set 1 arrived today from Amazon JP. This includes the early-purchase benefit of the illustration seen behind.

The set is absolutely great with the box being made out of really thick chipboard, and having a textured print on one side, and a foil embossed book cover design on the other.

I've only glanced at episode 1, but can't spot any changes footage wise from the TV broadcast.

SVo2GlA.jpg

yiQwt2B.jpg

3hPlEWq.jpg

mIF4m1z.jpg

A5Mg6Si.jpg

5gFrdzf.jpg

LDjshJx.jpg

lXA6Ppj.jpg

72CCX3G.jpg

ptXOPxU.jpg
Closeup of Amazon exclusive item
y5x1pvT.jpg
Very quick two screenshot comparisons in Episode 1.

DawuEM2.jpg

My copy of The Ancient Magus Bride Set 1 arrived today from Amazon JP. This includes the early-purchase benefit of the illustration seen behind.

The set is absolutely great with the box being made out of really thick chipboard, and having a textured print on one side, and a foil embossed book cover design on the other.

I've only glanced at episode 1, but can't spot any changes footage wise from the TV broadcast.

SVo2GlA.jpg

yiQwt2B.jpg

3hPlEWq.jpg

mIF4m1z.jpg

A5Mg6Si.jpg

5gFrdzf.jpg

LDjshJx.jpg

lXA6Ppj.jpg

72CCX3G.jpg

ptXOPxU.jpg
y5x1pvT.jpg
I really wanted to get that set but I couldn't justify it since it doesn't have English subs. :(

DawuEM2.jpg

SVo2GlA.jpg

yiQwt2B.jpg

3hPlEWq.jpg

mIF4m1z.jpg

A5Mg6Si.jpg

5gFrdzf.jpg

LDjshJx.jpg

lXA6Ppj.jpg

72CCX3G.jpg

ptXOPxU.jpg
y5x1pvT.jpg

That's absolutely beautiful :eek: I didn't know it was so nice. One of the first ever series I wouldn't mind paying Japanese BD prices for.

yeah, too bad it's not English friendly at all, or I'd snap that series up even more anxiously than the nine volumes for the LWA TV Series. How many volumes will this one be? I actually have two JP releases arriving today that are not English friendly, but I had to have them anyway; I'd like to add subs to them at some point.

I really wish there would be a lot more English-subbed JP anime releases than there are - although I'd have probably lost my house by now if there were, lol...

Back