Wargamers of AUKN, unite!

Necrobump!!!

After recently playing the Space Marine Demo on the PS Store I’ve rekindled my fandom of Warhammer 40K! (haven’t played the tabletop version since high school but the games on consoles I’ve played since – fire warrior and squad command for psp and kill team demo on ps3)

Anyway, this post is basically to say that I’ve re-started painting the remainder of my fire warriors and the devilfish, looking to order a 3 man stealth team and then some broadside battle suits because… well look at them, they are armoured cores!!!! Lol And a hammerhead tank if I can get hold of one for less than £15 *sigh*

Anyone else still game? I haven’t played in ages and the rules we played by are fairly simple compared to the proper rules. (basically infantry moved 6, tanks moved 12 and you rolled once for firing, take away any dice that didn’t get 4 or above, then roll them dice for hits, taking away whatever was less than 4 again - then roll again, if they got 4 or above on this third roll it killed. Those who weren’t killed where injured 3 injuries = death)

Unsure on what the exact rules where I bid on a codex… so yeah, given some time I might get into a match at a local place that I know do them weekly.

I *still* need to paint that huge box of Space Marines I bought a couple of years ago with the intention of getting back into 40K. Really used to enjoy it too, I don't know where the time goes (well I do really, I'm just too much of a perfectionist with my painting so it takes me weeks to paint even half a dozen minis).

How good at painting are you? i've got 1 maybe 2 that i'm really pleased with because i got the shadowing on the face right and even so it still looks a tad - amateur at best.

I used to collect space marines but moved to Tau for the Mecha look (yes i know, i don't like mecha anime but figures are fine, lifes fickle lol) plus they can fire from long ranges with pulse rifles and that meads to their whole army set up being akin to a sniper class, something i'm very adapted to in other games.

Might put up a picture of what i've got so far (got some nids but only 4-5 only undercoated)

Customised a tau to hold 2 pulse rifles like some sort of action hero in a hollywood film lol surrounded by scout droids.

Not professional standard but my minis look better than a lot that I've seen. Accuracy concerning aesthetics is one of many things I'm pedantic and obsessive about, but also happens to be one of my few skills.

I can't see that link you posted, just a recap - is that the £50 box that came out years back with a tank and about 20 space marines, battle of something or other?

Post up a pic of some of your best ones :) i know mine are far from pro, looking at This link Some of the detail that goes into the painting is just crazy.

Undecided on my colour scheme. Devilfish is currently Tau's normal colour but down the centre is completely black. I'm undecided on if i should paint them white as its abit basic. Silver was an idea till i thought against it.

Just want to customize them, as i did with my space marines (shoulder guards where blue and red not gold/yellow)

This has just reminded me of the fact that I still need to assemble/paint all of my Space Marines, I quit cause my bro kept nagging me to do his Tau for him.

Currently working through my Grey Knights, which I am painting pale gold just to be different. Also got to finish my Iron Hands, Tyranids and Necrons.

For painting, I have found some good short cuts you can take to get a good result: inking! My Tyranids are an awesome alien grey because I put purple ink over a green undercoat. The Grey Knights are sepia ink over a silver undercoat. People at my local club have commented on how good they look with this method. I'll have to post some photos sometime.

Space Wolves here 8)

Tachi: Be aware (I play Tau too) that you can't really 'do' a Sniper class in 40K. Even if you set up touching the edge, your opponent will only be 36 inches away, bearing in mind they can fire back and you have a 30 inch range it won't take much time to reach you if they're assaulting! Especially any jump packs that may be utilized; and Tau in combat are just embarassing.

Yeah i know, but for one turn (if i'm first) i can attack with my further away radius.

Also, i learnt a tactic from a guy on youtube, if your playing tau vs say; blood angels. They have set up their rhino's in the centre of their side of the map. If you place hammer heads in each corner of the map then if they take the bait and send the tanks forward individually then you can use the long distance attacks of the tau to your advantage, instead of fighting the rhino right infront of you, you instead fire at the side of the other tank (as shown by the red lines) therefore protecting yourself by having the front of your hammer head facing the nearest rhino but flank shooting the other rhino for more damage.

Getting my stealth unit soon, should arrive within the next few days :)

(got some ultramarines too, just for old times sakes)
Have some ideas on how to use kroot as cannon fodder whilst using hammerheads, devilfish and broadsides to fire from afar and stealth teams to flank in a pincer move. Got my friend coming over at the weekend so fully painted or not well have a match.

If it's of any help to you, I used to fied a few Stealth Suit units; a favorite tactic of mine was the 'Hop n Gun' (no, not run n gun :p ) tactic! Since you have a free assault, move into double fire range, then assault back into cover. You can get lots of shots off; and still stay quite well protected.

Also it's good to remember that while Kroot may be able to serve as cannon fodder; they're also some of the best melee units at your disposal! So it's worth spending time to ponder how you can best use them. This changes drastically depending on which army you're facing though; so it's never worth taking more than 2 units unless you plan to beef them up with Kroot Hounds & Krootox.

If ya' ever want some advice I'm happy to give you some pointers (^_^)

Cheers for the heads up,

As for tactics with kroot, i'd hold them in reserve until turn 3 or 5 and then have them enter to the flanks of whater enemy (which by that time should have come to me to fight up close)

I'd hold back some fire warriors (maybe a squad of 6) in a devilfish aswell if there are any objectives. Basically try to keep my kill count down for as long as possible then get the kroot and devilfish units to clean up from the sides, using my first few turns to take out any and all armour. My mate plays chaosSM and i know he's got a tank so my devilfish may get 5 attacks off but doubt i can take on the tank (5 attacks because according to the rules, if 1 gun is working on a devilfish then both droids can fire in the same attack, 2 guns per droid and the machinegun thing on the front of the devilfish = 5), which is why i'm after a hammerhead or broadsides to sort that out.

Once saw a guy playing imperial guard who sat in a tower the whole game and lolfragged eveything until a group of nids got to em. Least to say his luck ran out lol.

Just got my power-armoured **** handed to me this evening by some pansy Eldar. My own fault though, I spread my forces out too thinly.

I did have six Dreadnoughts though. :D

Tachi said:
Cheers for the heads up,

As for tactics with kroot, i'd hold them in reserve until turn 3 or 5 and then have them enter to the flanks of whater enemy (which by that time should have come to me to fight up close)

If I recall, an average game of 1500-2000 points would normally last 6 turns. I'd advise acting with the Kroot with more haste. They have fairly punchy guns that need to be used at close range; and if I recall they have free movement through rough terrain? (I could be wrong!) Keep them in the rough, pepper the enemy, falling back if needs be until you're ready for the fight!

Tachi said:
I'd hold back some fire warriors (maybe a squad of 6) in a devilfish aswell if there are any objectives. Basically try to keep my kill count down for as long as possible then get the kroot and devilfish units to clean up from the sides, using my first few turns to take out any and all armour. My mate plays chaosSM and i know he's got a tank so my devilfish may get 5 attacks off but doubt i can take on the tank (5 attacks because according to the rules, if 1 gun is working on a devilfish then both droids can fire in the same attack, 2 guns per droid and the machinegun thing on the front of the devilfish = 5), which is why i'm after a hammerhead or broadsides to sort that out.

This isn't a bad idea; but if you're objective hunting Pirannah's are far more effective! Stick a few in a unit, take two units, and you'll be speeding up to objectives in those ending turns to tip the game! Also, equip the Pirannah's with the alternative to Burst Cannons (I forgot the name now; Plasma _____ I think?) - Suddenly you have two units of highly maneuverable tank hunters! Your friends tanks will get hit hard from the flank or rear with these! If you would prefer the Burst Cannons though, you can use them to pepper light infantry well!

The Devilfish, just to warn, will never take a tank down. It's guns are far too weak. You need something with more punch! Broadside suits, Hammerheads, Sky Missle ship-thats-name-I-forgot, and suited up Pirannah's are the way to go! The Devilfish is nothing more than a troop carrier with a couple of light inf. guns! Try to be sure to treat it as such, and you'll do well ^_^

In general, just remember Tau play the ranged game very well; but the board isn't big enough for that. Use the 'Fish of Fury' tactic to be sure at least one squad of Fire Warriors get double rounds against the enemy and be sure to take pathfinders! By locking onto enemies you can make those big guns hit with deadly precision! You must be sure to use those if you want maximum efficiency from your ranged weapons ^_^ You can destroy a squad in a turn easily by setting a markerlight onto it, and sticking a unit or two to fire onto it!

Hope that helps ^_^ And hopefully guides your future purchases ;)

(You can convert Pathfinders from average Fire Warriors easily if you need to save cash!)

Mutsumi said:
Just got my power-armoured **** handed to me this evening by some pansy Eldar. My own fault though, I spread my forces out too thinly.

I did have six Dreadnoughts though. :D

Ouch lol i always thought the Eldar (and the dark ones too) where pretty badass looking, i presume they are a "for show" army but are probably as weak as Tau lol.

@Spyro,

I ordered a Piranha lastnight (£11 on amazon) I've been looking online for a Broadside or hammerhead but as of yet i lack the cash to spare on it, maybe when i get my bonus at the end of the month then i'll be able to buy em no problem. (my order of 11 space marines arrived lastnight so i've undercoated them only cost a fiver lol.)

For an assault against his army its more a case of "how to deal with that tank" when it comes to infantry i have a massive advantage, having over 20 fire warriors and various drones not including the dettachable ones from the devilfish. The Stealth team should come in handy for flanking and/or defending the piranha long enough to take out his tank (i swear theh have a fusion gun or something that enables them to take on armoury?), i've done abit of searching online and found that he hasn't got a rhino APC tank, but a Land Raider and a leman russ that he's painted in CSM colours as if they "stole it" and i'm okay with him using it.

As for markerlighting, im not sure if you actually have to add something to the guys to say "these have markerlights" or if its just something thats accepted as "you don't need an attachment, the squad just has it by default" either way, the stealth team have them anyway IIRC.

I don't think well stick to an official board size, we will no doubt use his table again. Which is big enough to work in my favour, Devilfish will be bait, 1 squad of 6 fire warriors infront, and the rest in a horseshoe shape and hope they come forward to attack at short range, surround them and see what happens.

Tachi said:
@Spyro,

I ordered a Piranha lastnight (£11 on amazon) I've been looking online for a Broadside or hammerhead but as of yet i lack the cash to spare on it, maybe when i get my bonus at the end of the month then i'll be able to buy em no problem. (my order of 11 space marines arrived lastnight so i've undercoated them only cost a fiver lol.)

That's a good purchase. I'd give it the Fusion Cannon; as I explained, it works wonderfully against tanks. You need to be sure to position it correctly though! It has to has to get those rear or flank strikes and close range!

Tachi said:
For an assault against his army its more a case of "how to deal with that tank" when it comes to infantry i have a massive advantage, having over 20 fire warriors and various drones not including the dettachable ones from the devilfish. The Stealth team should come in handy for flanking and/or defending the piranha long enough to take out his tank (i swear theh have a fusion gun or something that enables them to take on armoury?), i've done abit of searching online and found that he hasn't got a rhino APC tank, but a Land Raider and a leman russ that he's painted in CSM colours as if they "stole it" and i'm okay with him using it.

I can see what you say here; but you make a mistake that beginners frequently make; thinking numbers = advantage. As a Tau and Space Wolf player, I can assure you that you need to ignore your Fire Warriors when you think of 'infantry'. If just Imperial Guard got into combat with your Fire Warriors; they're gonna get battered. Chaos Marines? You're stymed I'm afraid! You must avoid combat for as long as possible; and when you do go into combat be sure to have something like Kroot or a Crisis Battlesuit to help hand out the whoopin'!

The Land Raider will be an issue; The Lascannons (iirc) will cause havoc if left to their own devices - but if you can't beat it (yet; due to lack of high end Anti Tank troops/vehicles) then you can minimize its effectiveness! I can't recall, but I do believe a Lascannon is a single hit, high powered shot. It will look to aim at your Broadsides, Crisis suits, and Tanks. In short; hide them. Be sure to have the jump packs so you can pop out of cover, fire something off, and hide again. Refuse him the chance to use that Lascannon on anything worthwhile! If he can't use it; it's a massive waste of his points.

As for markerlighting, im not sure if you actually have to add something to the guys to say "these have markerlights" or if its just something thats accepted as "you don't need an attachment, the squad just has it by default" either way, the stealth team have them anyway IIRC.

Tachi said:
I don't think well stick to an official board size, we will no doubt use his table again. Which is big enough to work in my favour, Devilfish will be bait, 1 squad of 6 fire warriors infront, and the rest in a horseshoe shape and hope they come forward to attack at short range, surround them and see what happens.

Mhm. I can't say a horse-shoe setup will do you much good. I'd personally go with refused flank. If you're determined to get distance between you; that's the best way.

I'm sort of confused though- are you using the official rules, except the suggested board size? Or have you made up a lot of house rules?

im mainly going off what i can remember of the rules when we used to play it 5-6 years ago. So some of the rules maybe abit off to say the least.

Battle plan for my first turn will be to move fire warriors forward and make use of cover saves. I'll let him set up first so i can think about my set up before i place them (giving me the advantage of planning due to knowing where his tanks are) Using the devilfish i'll hide behind ruins and wait it out (a squad of 6 fire warriors inside) move the piranha round to the left flank, hoping between ruins (trying to fight as if it was in a town so cover plays to my advantage, as does the unofficial table size) stealth squad flanking round to the right of the table and hopefully use the ruins themselves as cover (think he said something about making a tower in the centre of the town) so if i can get my mitts on pathfinders with railrifles and get to that tower then advantage is mine for a time.

basically, following my own battle plan of wait to see if he advances, if he does then i'll get the piranha and stealth team to flank and get some juicy side shots... if i can glare the tank it should put it out of action for a while (think its 1 turn but unsure) i'll go over the rulebook 5mins before we set up.

Most of his CSM have bolters and no flame throwers or anything for wide areas so outgunning him is actually a viable option.

Hopefully the piranha and stealth and 2 books arrive today, not that i can paint with a swollen black middle finger but i should be able to glue em atleast :p

Really want a Broadside but they are £15 and i'm not sure i can fork out that much money on just 1 model, if it was a team or a couple then it wouldn't take a second thought to buy.

Bought a crisis suit, just missed a bid for 12 kroot for £6.50 :/ if only i'd have set my highest bid to £6.50 instead of just £6.

Anyway, painted up my Stealth suits and they look good, hopefully the crisis suits and the Piranha arrive today, i can then assemble them and have the majority of my small army set up.

Ended up holding off the game against my mate because 1, half my orders are still on their way in the post and 2, he was out of town again.

Hopefully this weekend!

Back