UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

NormanicGrav said:
Emo185 said:
Is it an upscale or is it HD-Native? either-way after watching the first three episodes it looks just as good as I had hoped it would.

Blu-ray.com said:
While ADV's AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.78:1 doesn't look like a typical upscale to me (there's little if any telltale signs like rampant stairstepping on line detail, and the previously released Japanese Blu-rays were reportedly sourced from true HD masters), this is still a very soft looking presentation.
Best to assume it's an upscale.
The Japanese BDs were apparently remastered/recomposited rather than simply upscaled from the original SD masters.

IncendiaryLemon said:
I would but I'd rather have the Blu Ray. It's not that much more expensive.

The BDs are a 1080i up-convert. I usually don't go for DVDs when there's a BD set available, but for this one I'll probably just go for the DVDs.

Lavigne said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

The BDs are a 1080i up-convert. I usually don't go for DVDs when there's a BD set available, but for this one I'll probably just go for the DVDs.

Do you know if there are any comparisons or anything between the blu ray and dvd online?

IncendiaryLemon said:
Lavigne said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

Do you know if there are any comparisons or anything between the blu ray and dvd online?

Can't say as I found any if there are. The reviews I've read though tend to suggest that there's a sharper picture over the DVD but still looks very soft. AQ fares better though if you're an audiophile.

For a series that's nowhere near the top of my list I can probably live with the DVDs, I can't see the BDs ever coming down to anything approaching that.

Just Passing Through said:
Madman Entertainment have a 20% off sale this weekend on most items.

Just picked up Patlabor TV, and it came to £65 including P&P
Thanks for that. I got Sword Art Online part 3 & 4 (blu-ray)...came to the same price just one part would cost from manga. Also picked up Hellsing Ultimate Part 3 (blu-ray)

Might also be worth noting there are a handful of other Anime in the 2 for 12 range along with Perfect Blue such including Akira, Ninja Scroll and The Girl Who Lept Through Time.

Cactus said:
Zavvi's Mega Monday:

Perfect Blue - Standard Edition blu-ray £6.99 (or 2 for 12)
Tiger & Bunny - The Rising: Collector's Edition Combi Pack Blu-ray £14.99
Gurren Lagann - The Complete Collection Blu-ray £19.99

Elfen Lied - The Complete Collection DVD £14.99

http://www.zavvi.com/offers/mega-monday ... t_id=39274

While some of those prices are good, Tiger & Bunny was only £8.99 on zavvi before, it's also the same price on Anime limited's store. Pretty sure Gurren Lagann was a few £ cheaper before on zavvi too.

DragonBlaze67 said:
Cactus said:
Zavvi's Mega Monday:

While some of those prices are good, Tiger & Bunny was only £8.99 on zavvi before, it's also the same price on Anime limited's store. Pretty sure Gurren Lagann was a few £ cheaper before on zavvi too.

That was Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning. It's the second movie that is on offer on Zavvi at the moment, Amazon did have it mispriced for a while at around £10.75 back in April on pre order.

sniper_samurai said:
DragonBlaze67 said:
Cactus said:
Zavvi's Mega Monday:

That was Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning. It's the second movie that is on offer on Zavvi at the moment, Amazon did have it mispriced for a while at around £10.75 back in April on pre order.

Ah yes my mistake, i think i just assumed it was The Beginning as i didn't think The Rising would be that cheap so soon after release. £14.99 is a bargain for it.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Some guy on eBay (The same guy I bought my Freedom off for cheap) has a near complete set of Gundam Unicorn DVDs up for only £7. Not as good as the blu rays and it is missing the last DVD but these DVDs seem to go for about £10 a piece on Amazon so £7 for 6 is a great bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141728685635
Its not a bad price to give a punt on but i don't know if the dvd's are region free like the Blu-rays are. Plus if its a show like Unicorn then its best on blu-ray.

[EDIT] They are region 2

Back