UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Yeah, I got excited for a second too but I made a mistake - Blu Ray tracker was bringing through DVD updates onto the Blu-Ray page for some reason.

I got it bang on at 12. I was one of the first 25 orders so i'll get a free film too :excited:

Forgot to post it here as I got distracted by work.

msgeek said:
101 Films have launched their own web shop and for are selling Elfen Lied Blu-Ray metal case edition for £30.

For the next 3 hours you can claim an extra 15% off by using code Launch101TW bringing the total cost to £25.50. Shipping is free! Thanks to Emo185 for the source on this one.

https://101-films-store.myshopify.com/c ... se-blu-ray

Nice one, Picked this up at that price.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Also worth noting the DVD version is also fairly cheap on there, £15. £11.75 with discount code, assuming my maths isn't off.

£12.75 but that's still a good price

msgeek said:
Looks like I made first 25 too despite only ordering it a few mins ago. Shipping notification turned up really fast :)

doesn't bode well for their site then if you're still within the first 25!

Yeah I'm not too sure if they've actually shipped yet, no matter what the email says :hmm:

msgeek said:
101 Films have launched their own web shop and for are selling Elfen Lied Blu-Ray metal case edition for £30.

For the next 3 hours you can claim an extra 15% off by using code Launch101TW bringing the total cost to £25.50. Shipping is free! Thanks to Emo185 for the source on this one.

https://101-films-store.myshopify.com/c ... se-blu-ray

Thanks I picked it up too.

For anyone wondering about the code. If you go through the checkout as opposed to the paypal checkout you'll get a chance to put it in and there will be an option to pay with paypal after entering the delivery address.

I'm unsure about whether I want to double dip on Elfen Lied. 101 Films' release does look pretty and does include the OVA, but I've owned ADV's release for years. What's the blu-ray upscale like?

I'm just not sure if I can justify the money for a series that I largely already own.

Joshawott said:
I'm unsure about whether I want to double dip on Elfen Lied. 101 Films' release does look pretty and does include the OVA, but I've owned ADV's release for years. What's the blu-ray upscale like?

I'm just not sure if I can justify the money for a series that I largely already own.

Is it an upscale or is it HD-Native? either-way after watching the first three episodes it looks just as good as I had hoped it would.

---EDIT----

I've posted an unboxing over on AnimeBlurayUK for anyone that's interested in seeing what it looks like in more detail.

Emo185 said:
Is it an upscale or is it HD-Native? either-way after watching the first three episodes it looks just as good as I had hoped it would.

Hmm...
Blu-ray.com said:
Elfen Lied first aired in 2004, just on the cusp of when series, either animated or not, were making the transition into full time high definition. Cursory research has uncovered sources which differ about whether this show was produced and aired in HD, but my hunch is, after having seen this Blu-ray edition, that it probably wasn't. While ADV's AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.78:1 doesn't look like a typical upscale to me (there's little if any telltale signs like rampant stairstepping on line detail, and the previously released Japanese Blu-rays were reportedly sourced from true HD masters), this is still a very soft looking presentation. There are some occasional problems with image stability (the opening credits in particular suffer from quite a bit of shimmer), but overall things look solid here if not especially mind blowing. Colors are nicely saturated, and the series' kind of minimalistic design aesthetic comes through decently. Fans of the series will already know this is not the most detailed animation to begin with, and so some slack has to be granted the perhaps incremental improvement in appearance this Blu-ray offers. This is therefore going to be one of those "glass half full, glass half empty" Blu-ray releases for fans of the series. Those who only caught the broadcast version and skipped the DVD releases will probably be at least reasonably pleased with this new Blu-ray. Those who have the DVDs and were hoping for a major uptick in resolution and clarity may be disappointed by this release.
Best to assume it's an upscale.

MVM Deal of the Week is: Chobits Complete Collection - £9.99

A country boy from Hokkaido, Hideki arrives in the big city (Tokyo) to go to college. Instantly, he is shocked and amazed by the variety and prevalence of Persocoms: personal computers designed to look and act like animals or even people! Too poor to afford one of his own, Hideki is overjoyed to discover a discarded Persocom in a trash heap. However, this gift of fate turns into a mystery as his Persocom, Chi, appears to be able to operate without her OS... How real is real?

I got this last time it was on DOTW but not watched it yet... (It seems like I say that everytime DOTW comes around)

First DOTW I already have in quite some time. Definitely a bargain to pick up at that price though - it's a strong series, and anything CLAMP is a win in my book.

Back