UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Gemsy-chan said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Some guy on eBay (The same guy I bought my Freedom off for cheap) has a near complete set of Gundam Unicorn DVDs up for only £7. Not as good as the blu rays and it is missing the last DVD but these DVDs seem to go for about £10 a piece on Amazon so £7 for 6 is a great bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141728685635
Its not a bad price to give a punt on but i don't know if the dvd's are region free like the Blu-rays are. Plus if its a show like Unicorn then its best on blu-ray.
I wouldn't touch them. They have a bit of a whiff of bootleg about them with the green banner stating it has English Subtitles, and that the covers appear badly cut with the Emotion logo in the bottom left which should be the Honneamise logo.

Edit: It appears the Japanese dvds have the Emotion logo on them unlike the blurays which have the Honneamise logo. The real deal still doesnt have that crappy green banner though.
pa.184443.1.jpg

IncendiaryLemon said:
Huh, didn't notice that. Good spot.

As a comparison this is what the covers look like on CDJapan

The dvd's have the Emotion logo while the blu-ray have the Honneamise logo. I would still stay away as Samurai pointed out the green banner.

Interestingly enough despite ordering items in bunches (like groups of two but under the customs limit) one of my items from Amazon.it (sold via Rarewaves) arrived today; namely Tenchi Muyo Movie Collection.

So three surprises; firstly the item had no customs declarations or markings on it (so they are being sent in a way that avoids customs) - the return address is even a UK address but it does still list a US address on the front, secondly items might be sent individually - even if ordered together - and thirdly the version I received was the artbok version (not bad considering it was only 9 EURO).

The disappointing news however; is that the person who delivered it decided to 'shove it' through the letterbox which in turn bent the chipboard box slightly.

....So if you ordered items from Amazon.IT then they should be arriving soon; furthermore they may arrive in separate parcels.

I got the Soul Eater Not! LE that I had ordered during the Amazon.it incident, it looks fine. It was the one I ordered mostly on a whim but it does seem like it could be sort of thing I'd enjoy. Now I have to decide if I should watch Soul Eater first so that I might get more of the references or just watch Not since they're apparently fairly different anyway.

At least that's a good sign, there should be two others to come so hopefully they'll arrive soon as well. I kind of wish I could have gotten more since there were some pretty good shows on offer but it's just nice to be getting anything really.

I have Red Garden, so I assume I got it the last time it was on DOTW (unless it hasn't been on, in which case it must have been cheap elsewhere).

I still haven't watched it though so I've no idea if it's any good or not. I think it got buried somewhere in my last reshuffle.

ilmaestro said:
Red Garden is really, really cool.
This man speaketh the truth.

Well, it was cool after the first few episodes, once the characters stopped spontaneously breaking out into song. What WAS that all about.

For anyone who missed it at the weekend (like me), Zavvi have T&B: The Rising for 15 quid again.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ilmaestro said:
Red Garden is really, really cool.
This man speaketh the truth.

Well, it was cool after the first few episodes, once the characters stopped spontaneously breaking out into song. What WAS that all about.

Well according to wiki musicals were one of the inspirations for this show so that should explain it.

Winkuru said:
Well according to wiki musicals were one of the inspirations for this show so that should explain it.
I was more confused over why the singing suddenly stopped after the first few episodes. Perhaps someone involved realised it wasn't the greatest idea.

Of all the shows with random singing that I've seen, I can't think of any I didn't like. Sounds like I'll have to dig Red Garden out at some point.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Winkuru said:
I was more confused over why the singing suddenly stopped after the first few episodes. Perhaps someone involved realised it wasn't the greatest idea.

They probably had enough material to fill the obligatory OST at that point! :D

eBay said:
Posts to:
United Kingdom
Oh well...

On an unrelated note, and not an anime sale per se, don't forget the Amazon gift card deal going on in some of its countries (I've seen it on UK, FR and IT so far). It may have been there for a while, I don't know, but it looks like an ad so it's possible that I've been ignoring it unconsciously until now. Basically you can gift yourself £40 Amazon gift card credit and receive a £10 promotional code 24hours later.
It does state
Amazon UK said:
Important Notification: This offer is ONLY valid for customers who have received the offer invitation from Amazon.co.uk, either on the Amazon.co.uk website, or via e-mail. If you did not directly receive an offer invitation from Amazon.co.uk, you are not eligible for this offer.
though, so I won't link it but it should be on the home page somewhere on the right.
I believe gift card balance can be used for marketplace orders however the promotional code can't.

Nothing to lose unless you plan on spending less than £40 on Amazon UK in the next ten years.

Too bad that's only until the 15th, I'd love to take advantage but I'm trying to save money haha.

Also, damn, that Eva set went for £45, hell of a bargain. Kinda makes me regret buying mine for £70 just a few months back.

Back