UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

The Dandy life isn’t for everyone and that’s fine, baby!
Comedy is probably the most subjective genre in entertainment so I can understand why people don’t find SD funny. It’s like me and Friends, everyone thinks it’s hilarious, I find it insufferable.

I think anime is the worst at comedy. Never really found a comedy anime funny. Like Maid dragon I appreciated for character moments not comedy. (It was the comedy anime of 2017 is why I mention it) Konosuba s2 I hate due to everything that funny in s1 is made not funny via overuse

I generally enjoy most of the comedy anime that I’ve seen, especially more recent watches such as Gintama and Seiki K (S2 dub when.) I do find at times that I laugh more at subtle humour and the odd joke than full on comedy moments though. Recent seasons have had some great comedies like Chio and Honda-San. The problem with some is that once you’ve seen the set-up and the joke once it doesn’t have the same impact the second time around.

I love SD because of the variety of scenarios and world building it does whilst being humorous in the process. If it was too repetitive in its plots then I wouldn’t regard it with such fondness.

Last edited:
With Gintama there’s serious arcs scattered throughout. I think I’ve yet to get to the fully serious ones, though I have watched 265 episodes so I daresay it isn’t far off.

Seems the regulars a a bit split on dandy, I'm thinking the main culprit is subjective sense of humour, with dandy being a bit random and treating it's main cast like idiots pretty much all the time

original.gif

😜

I found plenty of anime funny:
Nozaki-Kun, Chio's School Road, Honda-san among the best. Even shows that aren't strictly comedies have their funny moments like Yuru Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe.

I tried Space Dandy a couple of times subbed but couldnt get into it, but then I tried the dub recently and found it a lot more enjoyable! (I rarely watch dubs)

Gintama, Nichijou, Asobe Asobase, Saiki K and Tonari no Seki Kun were all very funny for me also. Love Friends too. 😝

I tried Space Dandy a couple of times subbed but couldnt get into it, but then I tried the dub recently and found it a lot more enjoyable! (I rarely watch dubs)

Gintama, Nichijou, Asobe Asobse, Saiki K and Tonari no Seki Kun were all very funny for me also. Love Friends too. 😝
Space Dandy’s dub is superior IMO and technically came before the sub too. The dub cast make a lot of the humour work a lot better for me, plus Ian Sinclair is sublime in the title role.

I found plenty of anime funny:
Nozaki-Kun, Chio's School Road, Honda-san among the best. Even shows that aren't strictly comedies have their funny moments like Yuru Camp and A Place Further Than the Universe.
Nozaki-Kun is the only anime that actually had me laughing out loud. Space Dandy wasn't as funny but I did watch it with a big smile on my face.

I disliked Space Dandy because of its inconsistency - it's an experimental show with a lot of different people taking creative control across different episodes and it just wasn't for me. It gave me too much tonal whiplash. Great if you're an artsy type or studying animation/film though, since it runs the whole gamut of styles.

Death Parade is pretty cool.

R

I disliked Space Dandy because of its inconsistency - it's an experimental show with a lot of different people taking creative control across different episodes and it just wasn't for me. It gave me too much tonal whiplash. Great if you're an artsy type or studying animation/film though, since it runs the whole gamut of styles.

R

I was a graphic designer for over 25 years, maybe that explains why I liked it 🤔

I think anime is the worst at comedy. Never really found a comedy anime funny.

This. Anime comedy is not just not-funny to me, but is highly irritating to the point I have to turn it off if it is used repeatedly. I especially despise those screaming, jumping-up-and-down chibi art style scenes, due to some character's panic or anger attack - and it's even more obnoxious with the English dub actors, because they over-exaggerate everything.

I was a graphic designer for over 25 years, maybe that explains why I liked it 🤔

Is that where your official Ghibli portrait artist gets it from? :)

I do think that being more open to art for the sake of art helps a lot with shows like Space Dandy. I'm about as artistic as a rock and don't appreciate it fully even when I can see they're going for some cool stuff.

R

Back