UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Discussion in 'Anime Industry Discussion' started by Capuchin, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Blaize

Blaize Adventurer

2. Winkuru

Winkuru Student Council President

Might have been already mentioned but tomorrow MVM starts 12 days of Christmas campaign. New DVD/blueray deal every day.

3. Girls wIth Guns

Girls wIth Guns Kiznaiver

Will that sale be listed on AOL, or do they have another website for that?

4. IncendiaryLemon

IncendiaryLemon Captain Karen AUKN Staff

It's on AOL

Girls wIth Guns likes this.
  5. serpantino

serpantino Straw Hat Pirate

Is mvm's sale actually on? Their website makes it pretty hard to tell.

6. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Thousand Master

Starts the 8th. Just watch their twitter. It will link to their daily deals

7. serpantino

serpantino Straw Hat Pirate

Thanks but I don't do social networking ^_^; I hate all that invasive stuff lol.

8. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Thousand Master

You dont need an account to view their page...

9. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Za Warudo

Use code LATE8 on wordery to get 8% off everything up until 23:59 on 7/12/17

10. Dave1988

Dave1988 Straw Hat Pirate

11. Scavenger

Scavenger Brigade Leader

Don't those DVDs have the same video and audio problems as the Rhino release?

12. Dave1988

Dave1988 Straw Hat Pirate

To be honest I'm not sure I've never watched them myself so don't know what quality is like...take it that's it's bad?

13. sniper_samurai

sniper_samurai Straw Hat Pirate

Only season 1 iirc. This was caused by Rhino using incomplete materials instead of the broadcast masters.

14. Scavenger

Scavenger Brigade Leader

Reviewers on Amazon have mentioned the 5.1 audio, so I assume these are the old discs with the Rhino masters.

Rhino sourced the episodes from pre-broadcast prints with unfinished animation and errors. They also had a new 5.1 soundtrack made with terrible sound effects. I believe the original audio was also included on the Rhino DVDs, but not on every episode. The Shout Factory DVDs is also sourced from the same master, but with inserts from the broadcast tape and the original mono audio is present on every episode.

Here's a video showing the difference between the pre-broadcast and broadcast version of the episode S.O.S. Dinobots:

Rhino also sourced S2 from pre-broadcast prints. Don't know about S3 and Rebirth.

15. ayase

ayase Godhand

I was perfectly happy with the UK Metrodome DVDs based off the Rhino source - The increased clarity of the picture more than makes up for any of the errors imo (and I didn't notice the 5.1 sound since I only have stereo speakers). Transformers was always a QUALITY show anyway. I'd say for £12.85 (which is about what I paid for the singles in HMV - £2.99 each for four or £29.99 for the box. Hmm. Tough decision) it's fine. I probably wouldn't have paid £30 though, you can import the fixed US set for about that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM
  16. Scavenger

Scavenger Brigade Leader

The problem with the 5.1 track is that many new inappropriate sound effects have been added. The 2.0 tracks on many episodes are downmixed from 5.1.

Even the sound effects in the opening theme have been altered:

Original season 1 opening:

Rhino season 1 opening:

17. Jon O Fun

Jon O Fun Great Teacher

Zavvi have a 10% off code for selected products 'FLASH10' one of said products is Your Name (deluxe edition) so £44.99 ;)

D1tchd1gger likes this.
  18. Just Passing Through

Just Passing Through Guild Member

JB Hi-Fi are doing the 20% off all DVDs and Blu-rays thing for the next 5 days.

19. Ferensviel

Ferensviel Kiznaiver

MVM's Christmas deals, Chobits, Fate Stay Night, Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy. DVD's £9.99, Blurays £19.99.

UK Anime Store

20. Ferensviel

Ferensviel Kiznaiver