UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

Just had my Gad Guard DVDs arrive, 6 discs, the sixth disc has 6 eps so it's volume 6&7.

Thank you sooooo much for emailing the ADV sales guy Aion, that info is greatly appreciated. Chris doesn't half seem to have a tough job though, it sounds like he has to do everything himself, get him a helper ADV.

I make it a general rule just to avoid ebay, everything seems to be a cheap knock off on there.

Everythings back in stock at ADV for anyone that missed out.
http://www.advfilms.co.uk/acatalog/SPECIAL_OFFERS.html

Otaku-san said:
guess I by bootlegs, i think I can live with that though
(plus they work, which is a bonus)
But hey guess what. Believe it or not you're actually funding organised crime by buying bootlegs. Just saying.

Otaku-san said:
Well have you seen any of then, there are plenty of photos to go by,they seem pretty authentic to m.

plus, most of them have Japanese printed on the back

[wait a minute that means noting]

well OK, how can I tell that these DVD's are not bootleg, is there a ID number or some inprint I should look for.

What's the point of buying at all if you're not going to support the creators, and just reward the people who feed off the talented artists and animators? If you continue knowing that they're bootlegs, you're even worse than people who just leech digitally. Think about it.

Very, very few actual Japanese discs have any English on them, especially for TV series. Learn who thelegitimate companies are releasing anime (there really aren't very many, it's not tough to remember them) and don't touch anything released by anyone else. Never trust anything with Chinese subtitles, or which claims to be from Japan but has subs and is very cheap (real Japanese discs are actually VERY expensive and often Japanese only).

R

Rui said:
What's the point of buying at all if you're not going to support the creators, and just reward the people who feed off the talented artists and animators? If you continue knowing that they're bootlegs, you're even worse than people who just leech digitally. Think about it.

R

Well I let you do that for me, paying out 256p per ep

Otaku-san said:

If that's your attitude, why do you even bother buying bootlegs? You're still spending money on something so just don't bother spending any money at all.

Bootlegs are wrong in every single way, there are absolutely no good points to buying them/watching them/whatever you want to do with them. So if you stay on that side of the arguement don't expect people to listen to anything else you have to say. To be honest.

Sorry to say it like that, but that's just how it goes.

Of course, if you can think of a reason as to why bootlegs are good, then go ahead and say.

melonpan said:
Otaku-san said:

If that's your attitude, why do you even bother buying bootlegs? You're still spending money on something so just don't bother spending any money at all.

Bootlegs are wrong in every single way, there are absolutely no good points to buying them/watching them/whatever you want to do with them. So if you stay on that side of the arguement don't expect people to listen to anything else you have to say. To be honest.

Sorry to say it like that, but that's just how it goes.

Of course, if you can think of a reason as to why bootlegs are good, then go ahead and say.

Just adding something onto Dan's post. Your paying money towards a piracy company. If you must be illegal, Why not just download the fansubs, I think thats better (slightly), They are made for the fans by the fans and no money is going anywhere. And besides with bootlegs your paying for cheaply burnt fansubs half the time.

You'll see the light soon enough I hope. :S

Otaku-san said:
Rui said:

R

Protip. If you stop buying bootlegs, even though you'll have fewer DVDs (and really, it's extremely easy to find very good deals in anime if you shop around), the ones you have will actually mean something. Nice comeback though, I bet it works well in the playground.

You call yourself an Otaku? You're not even a fan, with that attitude towards the creators of what you enjoy.

R

Holy shite im being ganged up!

OK I get what your meaning, and I think theres no piont me continuing as I know Im goin'r lose.

Look i put it to you all straght, im only a poor student, the only reason I started was cause they were cheaper/less space (only 3/4 inch box sets)
and then can use the rest of the money I havn't spent can go to another series
consider this
£20 for 26ep over £60 for 26ep = £40 increase (which could be used for something eles)

I'm sorry OK, if I affended, I like this thread to continue on the disscusion of sales rather than what I buy/bittorrent/use open source

Rui said:
You call yourself an Otaku? You're not even a fan, with that attitude towards the creators of what you enjoy.

Oh plus Rui, I like to consider myslef an Otaku cause I like to think I have an astemed knowledge on what goes beyond the anime you see on the screen, not just buying companies DVDs

Gah, I hate being right...

The only stuff worth ordering are the Yugo DVD's 1-4 at £2 each. Aside from the extremely poorly rated Gravion, everything else is £4+, including Gilgamesh.

These ADV sales will now turn into £4-4.99 sales with 1-4 week deliveries. I can't blame ADV in truth, they were giving away DVD's in the past and can't really keep it, but it's still disappointing as **** when I was expecting to get Vol. 1-7 of Gilgamesh for £2 each.

On the brightside, Yugo is meant to be both something good and a little different. I've wanted to watch it ever since seeing the trailer on my ADV DVD's.

Yugo reviews: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/viewtitle.php?aid=1133
Gravion reviews:: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/viewtitle.php?aid=1122

Oh, and to the idiot who posted before me...

I linked you to 2 examples of where you could get official, highly rated series for £17 - Perfect for people without much cash, like myself. All you need is a region free DVD player and a credit card. The Anime Legends sets may not be flash, but I'd take them over paying for fansubs or worse quality in unofficial box sets.

I'd highly recommend you leave this forum until you understand your username better.

Otaku-san said:
Oh plus Rui, I like to consider myslef an Otaku cause I like to think I have an astemed knowledge on what goes beyond the anime you see on the screen, not just buying companies DVDs

First of all, if you take the time to spell words properly you will have an easier time winning debates; half of what you said makes no sense. No, I don't usually nitpick this, but "plus Rui"? Use actual English. Or any other language, I'm fluent in several. But use it readably, for heaven's sake.

I don't consider you an anime Otaku because you are not supporting the industry in the slightest, only your own greed and laziness. Perhaps you are a fan of yourself. That I will believe. If you think you're more of an otaku than me that's your delusion to hold, but at least I can spell the names of the shows I like and can hold my head up high as a supporter of the talented artists and musicians I love. I'm sure your "asteemed" knowledge of your super hardcore bootlegs will serve you well.

Student? Sorry, most fans are. It's not an excuse to rip the companies you pretend to like off. Get a paper round if you have no money. If you have enough to buy bootlegs, you have enough to buy real DVDs, so I don't see what your point is aside from that you're too greedy to play by the rules. This entire thread is full of great offers for discs for a couple of pounds each which real fans have taken the time to share with people like you. Or just buy from the US! The dollar is doing terribly right now, which means cheap (and legit) anime for us. There's no excuse for your attitude whatsoever.

And where are you paying £60 for 26 episodes? And the space complaint - have you never seen an official Thinpack? They're tiny, and gorgeous. Put as much thought into smart shopping as you do into being irritating and you'll go far in life.

Grow up. And don't post in a legit Sales thread with piracy talk until you understand what it means, please. You lost all respect the moment you realised you were buying bootlegs and didn't care.

On topic: Thanks for the ADV updates, and Gravion is actually pretty good if you like that kind of thing; well worth it despite the bad reviews it seems to attract. Worth a look for the excellent Jam Project musical setpieces if nothing else.

Rui

Rui said:
And where are you paying £60 for 26 episodes?

All 26 episode Beez series cost £60 - .hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. I spent £58 on Cowboy Bebop from Benson's World years ago and the prices haven't changed.

Aion said:
All 26 episode Beez series cost £60 - .hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. I spent £58 on Cowboy Bebop from Benson's World years ago and the prices haven't changed.

Ouch. I used to pay more than that in the VHS days, of course - just the modern cutthroat discounts and global market work for me.

He's taken it to PM now so the peace is restored I think...

Rui

Aion said:
Rui said:
And where are you paying £60 for 26 episodes?

All
26 episode Beez series cost £60 - .hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain. I spent £58 on Cowboy Bebop from Benson's World years ago and the prices haven't changed.

I would like to add something to that, Not ALL Beez 26 episode series' cost £60, I got Planetes boxes 1 & 2 for £45.

Aion said:
Gah, I hate being right...

The only stuff worth ordering are the Yugo DVD's 1-4 at £2 each. Aside from the extremely poorly rated Gravion, everything else is £4+, including Gilgamesh.

These ADV sales will now turn into £4-4.99 sales with 1-4 week deliveries. I can't blame ADV in truth, they were giving away DVD's in the past and can't really keep it, but it's still disappointing as **** when I was expecting to get Vol. 1-7 of Gilgamesh for £2 each.

On the brightside, Yugo is meant to be both something good and a little different. I've wanted to watch it ever since seeing the trailer on my ADV DVD's.

Yugo reviews: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/viewtitle.php?aid=1133
Gravion reviews:: http://www.animecritic.com/_metareview/viewtitle.php?aid=1122

I was kinda interested in the Yugo DVDs too, after having a skim through some episodes on veoh.com I'm not so sure if it's something I'd really enjoy, hmm tough decision, it's the best deal there after all.

edit: okay after watching a bit more of Yugo it does look pretty good and heck it's only £8...bought! :D

If you didn't see Gilgamesh on Rockworld TV (ch 368 currently showing DNAngel & Divergence EVE) I found it to be not as great as it sounds like it should be, interesting characters but very repetitive especially the music (clang, dong, dong, dong anyone), also the ending is quite confusing, I think it would've been better as a 14 episode series.
Still that might just be my personal taste, you might really like it, it does seem to have high scores just about everywhere after all, I probably watched it in the wrong mindset.

Saw this while randomly checking US DVD prices:

.hack//SIGN Ver. 05: Uncovered (Limited Edition) - £1.91 + £3.38 P&P

51JGS4MF80L._SS500_.jpg

It's obviously a misprice, the next best US price being around $26-27.

Jayme said:
I would like to add something to that, Not ALL Beez 26 episode series' cost £60, I got Planetes boxes 1 & 2 for £45.

Jaime, all Beez 26 sets I'm interested cost £60 or very, very close. It's rare to see any Beez sets drop in price at all.

The best current price for both Planetes sets together is £52.14, thanks to Sendit pricing the first box £5 below all other prices.

Raz:
I only read reviews of stuff like Yugo (unwatched stuff I've ordered) - I like watching when it arrives. I do check reviews before ordering, though.

Sadly, I don't have access to any anime channels as I only have freeview. The internet provides me with every show I want to watch. :D

Humm, about the above item, and the website. How sure are you it's the limited version? As far as I know, the limited versions of most .hack//SIGN items have been discontinued for a long time. The only thing I see as an indication of it being the limited version is the list price of $40 (I'm guessing that's the RPP of the limited version, the regular being $30, which is how most R1 releases tend to be now). The rest of the product information doesn't mention limited anywhere, or there being any limited items. EDIT: Oh and it lists it as a Geneon product, not Bandai : o.

Apart from that, it's a brilliant price =).

Back