UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

IncendiaryLemon said:
I'm super excited to hear your thoughts on K-On. You're going to absolutely love it.
Even if it does arrive without any problems, I'd imagine it'll take a while till I get around to watching it. My backlog tends to be big anyway but at the moment I seem to have more shows I'd consider "high priority" than usual. Still, I guess holidays are coming up so I might manage to fit it in before the end of the year. Or, knowing me, I might just put it on as soon as it arrives (which is part of the reason for my big backlog, I watch some of the shiny new stuff then get distracted by other shiny new stuff before I've watched it all).

I do wonder if it'll make a difference seeing K-On after so many other similar shows. I think K-On was a lot of people's first show of the type, which might make it rate higher to them (I probably rate Hidamari Sketch higher than some, I'm interested to see what you think of that when it comes around).

Hmm, was hoping the Lucky Star complete collection would be a little more discounted, since I've been looking to buy that for a while... until I noticed that buying parts 1 and 2 combined is cheaper, with part 1 being just AUD$5. Awesome.

Also picked up that K-On BD with the artbox even though I already own the standard version, can't pass it up at that price, as well as that $10 FMA box. And Street Fighter II V. lol.

I think this is my first post here. Hello. I mostly just lurk.

Ordered Escaflowne (showed up as 27.27 for me!), Wolf's Rain, S-Cry-Ed and FMA Brotherhood OVAS. 1st and 3rd was in the sale, 2nd and 4th wasn't. The first 3 is to replace bootlegs I bought misleadingly off Ebay forever and a day ago, FMA is to complete my Brotherhood collection :)

I know ALs eventual release if Escaflowne won't ever be that cheap so I'm VERY happy with finally getting that :D

I remember that Nightwalker had a few issues, I haven't actually gotten around to watching it though. It must have been on sale before, I can't think why I'd have picked it up otherwise (maybe it was a sale somewhere else).

I really really want to go for it, but with Tokyo Ghoul's SE coming up unexpectedly soon, I've spent too much money this month (and if we're being perfectly honest, I'd never be able to afford Parts 2 & 3 anyway). :(

Buzz201 said:
I really really want to go for it, but with Tokyo Ghoul's SE coming up I've spent too much money this month (and if we're being perfectly honest, I'd never be able to afford Parts 2 & 3 anyway). :(
I would say do it as it was worth the £30 i got it for in the first reduction zavvi gave it in Jan

thedoctor2016 said:
Buzz201 said:
I really really want to go for it, but with Tokyo Ghoul's SE coming up I've spent too much money this month (and if we're being perfectly honest, I'd never be able to afford Parts 2 & 3 anyway). :(
I would say do it as it was worth the £30 i got it for in the first reduction zavvi gave it in Jan

I ordered it and then cancelled it. Stop making me re-order it you bastard... :p :(

I know the release will be amazing, but I'm not sure I can justify spending upwards of £60 on blu-rays in a month (before even the 10th of that month). Especially since I'm massively behind on my simulcasts (I've still only seen the first episodes of The Perfect Insider and One-Punch Man) and still have DVDs/BDs I'm planning to watch, and let's not forget the 120 episodes of Hunter x Hunter left, 60 something episodes of JoJo's and 30 something episodes of World Trigger I'm behind on...

That's a bargain for KLK Part 1. You won't see Parts 2 & 3 being reduced that much though, the whole point of Part 1 being cheap is to get you to buy it and then buy Parts 2 & 3 at £30-40. MVM do the same with their DOTW, they usually only put Series 1 in the deal but never a Series 2 and they've stated they wouldn't put a 2nd series/part of a show on it.

Insane price on the KLK set. What can I say... If you don't have it buy it! You can always watch part one and from that make a decision as to what you value the subsequent parts at.

Makes you wonder what amazon / zavvi etc buy price is off AL... unless there is some kind of agreement in place where AL only get paid after a sale I'd imagine it would be something like a tenner... so most of the price we pay initially is profit for amazon/zavvi etc... I'd much rather that profit were heading in the AL direction...

msgeek said:
Insane price on the KLK set. What can I say... If you don't have it buy it! You can always watch part one and from that make a decision as to what you value the subsequent parts at.

Makes you wonder what amazon / zavvi etc buy price is off AL... unless there is some kind of agreement in place where AL only get paid after a sale I'd imagine it would be something like a tenner... so most of the price we pay initially is profit for amazon/zavvi etc... I'd much rather that profit were heading in the AL direction...

That's not how it works, if AL put up stock prices, the price would go up for consumers too. All that would happen is they'd sell even fewer copies than they are now...

And judging from Andrew's comments on the podcast about how AL took a conscious decision to replace the Durarara!! discs for people, even though many people had started buying it at insanely cheap prices after the replacement scheme began, I'm assuming AL get the same amount regardless of how much Zavvi/Amazon charge and they actually have very little say in pricing strategy. Which must mean retailers are making huge per item profits or taking a slight loss on some of their deals.

On the basis that MVM's store was selling Flowers of Evil for £8 less than Zavvi were on release IIRC, I'm going to assume it's the former...

Buzz201 said:
msgeek said:

That's not how it works, if AL put up stock prices, the price would go up for consumers too. All that would happen is they'd sell even fewer copies than they are now...

And judging from Andrew's comments on the podcast about how AL took a conscious decision to replace the Durarara!! discs for people, even though many people had started buying it at insanely cheap prices after the replacement scheme began, I'm assuming AL get the same amount regardless of how much Zavvi/Amazon charge and they actually have very little say in pricing strategy. Which must mean retailers are making huge per item profits or taking a slight loss on some of their deals.

On the basis that MVM's store was selling Flowers of Evil for £8 less than Zavvi were on release IIRC, I'm going to assume it's the former...

I think that is what I was trying to say... except worded better... I mean there's a good argument there for buying direct from AL's store... I'd much rather my hard earned cash was going to a company who were going to re-invest in anime rather than companies that take a huge chunk of profit for doing very little. That's before you even start thinking about what those companies are doing tax wise...

msgeek said:
I think that is what I was trying to say... except worded better... I mean there's a good argument there for buying direct from AL's store... I'd much rather my hard earned cash was going to a company who were going to re-invest in anime rather than companies that take a huge chunk of profit for doing very little. That's before you even start thinking about what those companies are doing tax wise...

The Hut Group are based in the UK, chances are they pay their tax here, and Amazon have announced they're going to start paying tax here too, so your moral compass needn't be too upset by having to use them.

The only AL title I have on pre-order atm is Tokyo Ghoul SE which AL aren't even selling on their site. But they have MSG for about the same price as Amazon, so if I am able to buy that, I'll definitely give them a look.

Buzz201 said:
msgeek said:

The Hut Group are based in the UK, chances are they pay their tax here, and Amazon have announced they're going to start paying tax here too, so your moral compass needn't be too upset by having to use them.

The only AL title I have on pre-order atm is Tokyo Ghoul SE which AL aren't even selling on their site. But they have MSG for about the same price as Amazon, so if I am able to buy that, I'll definitely give them a look.

I'm right in saying the hut own Zavvi?

Zavvi ship many UK disks (if their value is under £15) to the US and then sends the BACK to the UK - because they are under the £15 limit they avoid tax on them... They have even done it to items priced over £15 - marking them under £15... although I understand the £15 is a "value" which is a little ambiguous term compared to what something was actually sold for...

Morally on avoiding tax this way... I'm not that bothered... Morally shipping stuff half way around the world and back (i.e polluting) to save themselves some cash I find questionable.

edit: source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ing-via-us

Old article but have not seen any evidence process has changed and don't think it was too long ago I got a zavvi delivery with the customs declaration on it...

msgeek said:
I'm right in saying the hut own Zavvi?

Zavvi ship many UK disks (if their value is under £15) to the US and then sends the BACK to the UK - because they are under the £15 limit they avoid tax on them... They have even done it to items priced over £15 - marking them under £15... although I understand the £15 is a "value" which is a little ambiguous term compared to what something was actually sold for...

Morally on avoiding tax this way... I'm not that bothered... Morally shipping stuff half way around the world and back (i.e polluting) to save themselves some cash I find questionable.

edit: source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ing-via-us

Old article but have not seen any evidence process has changed and don't think it was too long ago I got a zavvi delivery with the customs declaration on it...

Yes, they own Zavvi.

This scam sounds absolutely ridiculous, surely the postage to the US and back would cost more than the VAT? A quick google suggests The Guardian were the only newspaper to pick up on it. I'm severely tempted to say it's absolute balls, but it's so ludicrous I don't think anybody could have made it up.

Also, this is a waste of time and money, since shipping via Switzerland achieves the exact same effect (which is what Base.com do)...

Back