UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

It occurs to me that Anime Limited did a bit of a sale towards the end of last year on their store. If you do happen to pick up Kill la Kill part 1 then you might be lucky and have an opportunity to get one or two of the other parts in a similar sale. Not that it's guaranteed and they did have quite limited stocks last time. Of course, you might also be able to get part 1 as well but I don't know if it'd be close to £12.99.

I'd imagine they do something like a daily pallet to get shipping down to appropriate levels... Check your labels next time you get anything from Zavvi (I've had some). They seem to do it a lot with steelbooks - I guess these are more likely to be able to get through at the £15 mark whereas it seems to happen less with anime presumably due to typical pricing around the £30 mark...

I was weak. I re-ordered part 1, I'll probably end up streaming the remaining episodes and then picking them up when they aren't retailing at £40+ each, which no matter how much money you have is insane for 10 and 5 episodes respectively. Although if Zavvi's info is correct, it's a huge discount on the £180 RRP. :eek:)

This is my second AL collector's edition, and the first with an artbook, so I'm excited to see what they look like (assuming it still has the artbook included)

I know it's much cheaper than AoA's release, but that's not exactly an achievement...

Bearing in mind that works out as £4 an episode for part 2 (£6.33 an episode for part 3), Tokyo Ghoul's standard edition is £2.27 an episode, Danganronpa was £1.77 an episode. I can only justify stuff based on value for money at the moment (and to be honest, I only re-ordered Kill la Kill because it looks like a warehouse clearing tactic from Zavvi and I don't think it'll be around much longer), and I don't think anybody can deny these releases are not value for money, but I appreciate that it's Aniplex of America and this is undoubtedly the very best AL can do...

Smeelia said:
It occurs to me that Anime Limited did a bit of a sale towards the end of last year on their store. If you do happen to pick up Kill la Kill part 1 then you might be lucky and have an opportunity to get one or two of the other parts in a similar sale. Not that it's guaranteed and they did have quite limited stocks last time. Of course, you might also be able to get part 1 as well but I don't know if it'd be close to £12.99.
Oh I didn't know they did that. Was it a global sale or only on a few titles? It would be a good opportunity for me to get Kill la Kill part 2 as there's no way I'm buying it at the current price. International shipping is kind of expensive on their site though...

Buzz201 said:
This is my second AL collector's edition, and the first with an artbook, so I'm excited to see what they look like (assuming it still has the artbook included)
Which one do you already own? Not sure what you're expecting from the artbook but it's more of a key art & storyboard collection.

Phobos said:
Excellent news, have managed to nab it this time.
Good to hear, looks like you got the 'last' one too.

Buzz201 said:
msgeek said:
I'm right in saying the hut own Zavvi?

Zavvi ship many UK disks (if their value is under £15) to the US and then sends the BACK to the UK - because they are under the £15 limit they avoid tax on them... They have even done it to items priced over £15 - marking them under £15... although I understand the £15 is a "value" which is a little ambiguous term compared to what something was actually sold for...

Morally on avoiding tax this way... I'm not that bothered... Morally shipping stuff half way around the world and back (i.e polluting) to save themselves some cash I find questionable.

edit: source: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ing-via-us

Old article but have not seen any evidence process has changed and don't think it was too long ago I got a zavvi delivery with the customs declaration on it...

Yes, they own Zavvi.

This scam sounds absolutely ridiculous, surely the postage to the US and back would cost more than the VAT? A quick google suggests The Guardian were the only newspaper to pick up on it. I'm severely tempted to say it's absolute balls, but it's so ludicrous I don't think anybody could have made it up.

Also, this is a waste of time and money, since shipping via Switzerland achieves the exact same effect (which is what Base.com do)...

Wouldn't surprise me, Zavvi still charge UK VAT on non UK orders. These orders are then marked on the customs declaration as having 0.00 VAT paid leaving you liable to also pay local VAT if customs get a hold of it while they pocket the extra 20%.

Base on the other hand, while they do ship through Switzerland do pay and adjust for VAT in the delivery country so you don't get stuck with a second potential VAT bill.

BlackStrat said:
Which one do you already own? Not sure what you're expecting from the artbook but it's more of a key art & storyboard collection.

I own the Durarara!! LEwith the digibook and postcards. Although come to think of it, that might just be a limited edition rather than a collector's edition.

sniper_samurai said:
Wouldn't surprise me, Zavvi still charge UK VAT on non UK orders. These orders are then marked on the customs declaration as having 0.00 VAT paid leaving you liable to also pay local VAT if customs get a hold of it while they pocket the extra 20%.

Base on the other hand, while they do ship through Switzerland do pay and adjust for VAT in the delivery country so you don't get stuck with a second potential VAT bill.

That seems mean.

EU tax law is to put it bluntly a confusing mess, I'm sure I read last week that it was supposed to be paid to the country of purchase, rather than of origin, but the HMRC website seems to suggest that's only if the receiver is registered to pay tax in their home country, if not you should charge them VAT in your country. I don't envy the person responsible for setting digital tax based systems up.

Thats the way it has been for years, the only companies I've seen that actually adhere to it are Base and Amazon.

Zavvi on the other hand are sneaky, they operate and ship from outside the EU and only have a tax arrangement with HMRC to pay VAT. If the parcel goes outside the UK, they aren't liable to pay the VAT collected on that item to HMRC under EU law. They also block reshipping companies with UK addresses like Parcel Motel to prevent any tax liability on their behalf.

Play.com was similarly setup, but at least their Euro prices had the UK VAT removed.

Had a very nasty surprise having to pay an additional €18 VAT and handling charge ordering Giovanni's Island UE from Zavvi earlier in the year. I wouldn't mind without the additional VAT I was only saving €8 over Amazon.

BlackStrat said:
Oh I didn't know they did that. Was it a global sale or only on a few titles? It would be a good opportunity for me to get Kill la Kill part 2 as there's no way I'm buying it at the current price. International shipping is kind of expensive on their site though...
It was a selected item each day, I suppose that would make it less useful for international shoppers since you'd have to pay postage on each item and wouldn't be able to group them into one order. They could do things differently this year though (if they're doing anything at all).

They did have a few good deals, mostly on the films and they also did a sale to get rid of the copies of Kill la Kill that had been printed before they caught the issues. With quite a few releases being more recent, I do wonder what they might do if they have a sale again.

Has anybody else that ordered Kill la Kill got an estimated dispatch date of 12/11/15. Maybe this isn't the warehouse clearing deal I thought it was...

IncendiaryLemon said:
Speaking of slow dispatch, has anyone's Madman order shipped after ordering something from their sale? Mine is still in processing.

not yet, just says "allocated" I'd wager this is a busy period for them, so i'll allow it.

britguy said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Speaking of slow dispatch, has anyone's Madman order shipped after ordering something from their sale? Mine is still in processing.

not yet, just says "allocated" I'd wager this is a busy period for them, so i'll allow it.

Same here mine just says allocated . Yeah I would imagine it's very busy Considering how good the deals are . still got a few I'm thinking of ordering .

Back