UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

serpantino said:
Ah OK. At a guess I'd say that the pal encode is the problem as they don't seem to have altered the timing from NTSC (it gets worse as it goes on) the dub is decent enough though.
If they're using the original ADV UK masters.. then they were usually converted to PAL (25fps) from the NTSC (30fps) masters using pulldown so the timing is the same. The timing changes when using 24fps masters; you can get away with a 4% framerate change but not 20%. I have the old ADV discs but haven't watched them in years and can't remember if there were any issues (and if I would have discussed it anywhere at the time it would probably have been on Anime on DVD...). Last time I can recall encountering subtitle drift was actually on a simulcast

Shiroi Hane said:
serpantino said:
Ah OK. At a guess I'd say that the pal encode is the problem as they don't seem to have altered the timing from NTSC (it gets worse as it goes on) the dub is decent enough though.
If they're using the original ADV UK masters.. then they were usually converted to PAL (25fps) from the NTSC (30fps) masters using pulldown so the timing is the same. The timing changes when using 24fps masters; you can get away with a 4% framerate change but not 20%. I have the old ADV discs but haven't watched them in years and can't remember if there were any issues (and if I would have discussed it anywhere at the time it would probably have been on Anime on DVD...). Last time I can recall encountering subtitle drift was actually on a simulcast

Yeah I meant they hadn't bothered to synchronize the subtitle timing with the video or used the wrong subtitle source.

Robbl said:
Do NTSC Blurays have more fps than PAL Blurays?
NTSC has a higher framerate than PAL, and both are higher than film standard.
NTSC/PAL only applies to SD material on BDs (they are colour standards). 1080p video has to be stored at 24/23.976fps (24p, film rate) and 1080i can be either 25fps (50i, PAL rate) or 29.97fps (60i, NTSC rate). You can also store SD video at either 25i or 50i.

The Most Epic Anime Sale Ever! say Madman Entertainment, and it is indeed a pretty nifty clearance sale with 500 items plus, especially for some obscure older titles like Cyber City Oedo 808.

I just placed an order for the Slayers OVA Collection, the Slayers Movie Collection, Berserk the Movie III on Blu-ray, Junkers Come Here, Honey and Clover the Complete Collection, His and Her Circumstances Collection, Good Luck Girl Blu-ray, Boogiepop Phantom, the Freedom OVAs Blu-ray (I've never read a complaint about the AU BD audio being out of sync, so I thought I'd take a chance). 9 titles, around £70 including P & P.

Note that the K-On! Blu-ray singles that I thought I'd bought at a steal for AU$ 10 each are now AU$ 3 each.

and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is AU$ 10

BlackStrat said:
Epic sale indeed.
Do you know if Madman undervalue international orders to avoid customs?

They have done in the past for me, but that hasn't stopped UK customs from opening the package up and charging me anyway. Expect to pay customs (or just spend less than AU$ 30 on any one order.)

Really weird that they have the first and third Berserk movies on sale but not the second.

EDIT: OH GOD K-ON SEASON 2 WITH THE ART BOX IS ONLY £8.71 SHIPPED. I ALREADY HAVE IT WITHOUT THE ARTBOX BUT I NEED IT.

Just spent around £60 on madman sale:

K-On Blu-rays Volume 1-4
K-on BD Season 2 Part 1 and part 2 with artbox
Gosick Parts 1 and 2 DVD
X'Amd Collection 2 Blu-Ray
Darker Than Black Season 2 + OVAs Blu-Ray
Good Luck Girl COmplete Blu-Ray
Nichijou Part 2 DVD (will order part 1 elsewhere)
Junkers Come Here DVD

Wow madman sale is great. Never ordered from them before. Do they charge in your local currency or in their local (bank charges) also do they try to avoid import duties?

Ordered:
(DVD)
Strait Jacket,
Noir Collection,
Guyver collection,
Brave Story,

(Bluray)
Fullmetal Alchemisst Collection 2 (ltd),
K-On 1-4,
Michikio & Hatchin 1&2,

If you order all that to go in one box then it's highly likely people will get caught by customs. I had 2 items in one box and madman marked it under the custom limit but RM opened the box, found the true invoice and charged me customs, but just 1 item I had in a box got through fine.

Thanks for pointing out the Madman sale, I've ordered a few things as well. I hope they don't run out of stock to fill the orders.

Ordered K-On Season 1 Vol. 1-4, K-On Season 2 Parts 1 & 2 (the second part seems to be cheaper with the box for some reason), Good Luck Girl and Junkers Come Here.

It'd be quite good if I got those, I was just thinking of picking up the Sentai releases of K-On and I was considering Junkers at the standard price anyway. Even with customs it seems like a pretty good deal (though it does remind me how silly the customs handling fees can be).

Back