UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

I've read a hell of a lot of bad things about Amazon recently. Worker conditions, strong arming independent shops, and let's not even mention the tax avoidance. Wherever possible I will shop elsewhere, case in point I've moved the majority of my preorders to Base.com, play.com and zavvi (I've never had a problem with them)

Speaking of zavvi and seen as this is the sales thread, did anybody else get one of their mystery discount emails? I got 10% off so toradora bluray for £31.50 :)

Yeah, the dominance is worrying - and I've definitely noticed prices creeping up a little recently (and free delivery times!) - I'm convinced they're trying their hardest to push people to subscribe to prime.

As soon as HMV folded, I was straight on over to Amazon for absolutely everything though.

Jon O Fun said:
I've read a hell of a lot of bad things about Amazon recently. Worker conditions, strong arming independent shops, and let's not even mention the tax avoidance. Wherever possible I will shop elsewhere, case in point I've moved the majority of my preorders to Base.com, play.com and zavvi (I've never had a problem with them)

Speaking of zavvi and seen as this is the sales thread, did anybody else get one of their mystery discount emails? I got 10% off so toradora bluray for £31.50 :)

There was a show on BBC a few months back where someone worked for Amazon in one of the depots to see if it was as bad as some people were saying it was like and it did not do Amazon any favours. It showed how bad the working conditions were - a set time time to get each item, lights went out, having to push a trolley around (which would get heavier with more items in it) and the health aspect since the worker had to constantly run to try and keep up with the list he was given.

As for the Zavvi discount code, I am not surprised it was 10% since whenever I have used a mystery code of theirs it has always been 10% but I guess people might be more likely to use it if they think they have a chance of more.

Lutga said:
Yeah, the dominance is worrying - and I've definitely noticed prices creeping up a little recently (and free delivery times!) - I'm convinced they're trying their hardest to push people to subscribe to prime.

As soon as HMV folded, I was straight on over to Amazon for absolutely everything though.
They keep trying to get me to use Amazon Prime as well. A few days ago I ordered some CDs for my brother. The default shipping setting was First Class (even though I always use FREE Super Saver Delivery). When I changed it to FREE Super Saver Delivery I was taken to another page which asked if I wanted to try out Amazon Prime. I clicked on 'No' and completed the order with FREE Super Saver Delivery instead.

We've been using Prime for a while now. At first with account sharing before buying our own and using the official share feature.

It's been great for years, and it's normally my first destination when looking for something (anything). However over the last couple of months their prices are going up and up, especially for anime and niche products. I'm finding Up1, Base and MVM to be much cheaper lately as a result, and my Prime is barely getting used.

mangaman74 said:
A few days ago I ordered some CDs for my brother. The default shipping setting was First Class (even though I always use FREE Super Saver Delivery). When I changed it to FREE Super Saver Delivery I was taken to another page which asked if I wanted to try out Amazon Prime. I clicked on 'No' and completed the order with FREE Super Saver Delivery instead.
And "FREE Super Saver Delivery" is now actually "Have your order dispatched in about four days time".

The last time I got sick of waiting and cancelled, at which point it the order was immediately (and I mean literally, within seconds of cancelling) marked as "dispatched" and an e-mail sent saying "Sorry, we weren't able to cancel your order in time, if you want to send it back you can, but you'll have to pay for postage". Amazon are becoming very dodgy.

tbh Super Saver delivery always used to be kind of like that. The end of your story is a bit dodgier though. ^^;

One thing I will say is I have always found their customer service to be swift and helpful.

Brought to my attention thanks to AnimeBlurayUK via Twitter:
> £12.99 - [Zavvi] - ACCEL WORLD: part 1
> £12.99 - [Zavvi] - ACCEL WORLD: part 2 (Pre-order!)

A few other deals I noticed on Zavvi:
> £10.99 - [Zavvi] - BLOOD-C: THE LAST DARK (regular edition)
> £12.99 - [Zavvi] - GIRLS UND PANZER: OVAs [UP1]
> £12.99 - [Zavvi] - NEKOMONOGATARI BLACK (Pre-order!)

PS: Also, Evangelion 1.11 and Evangelion 2.22 are ridiculously expensive at the moment. (Reverse sale. xD)

PS2: The Accel World deal is tempting, but I expect this to get a complete collection down the line and I always prefer a complete collection over parts... So I'll hold off.

PS3: Amazon is going downhill, I haven't seen a good deal I wanted to get on there since march.

XB1: Blood-C The Last Dark... Now the regular edition dropped in price I feel less tempted to ask somebody to buy me the LE. (as I don't live in the UK..) The big problem I have with this title is that the series doesn't have a slipcover, but the movie's LE HMV-exclusive does... And while I prefer slipcovers over nothing, also the spine proves to be inconsistent in this case for both the LE and RE next to the series. And that kind of bugs me a bit...

The Wind Rises is only £12.99 to pre-order on Zavvi too, time to cancel my amazon pre-order.

Amazon is joke with their anime prices, all the dvd prices must be at least £10 more than they were at the start of the year. Base and Zavvi seem to be the best place for anime now, zavvi is generally good pre-orders 2 out of 3 of my pre-orders from them have arrived the thursday before release.

Lawrence said:
I have to admit, I am semi-tempted by Accel World at that price yet the first light novel is released in what, three weeks?
Do eet. Accel World is very good, especially for that price.

Speaking of Accel World, I pre-ordered part 2 for myself, as well as ordering parts 1 + 2 for a friend. It'll be interesting to see whether this is a misprice.

Lawrence said:
Mangaranga said:
Lawrence said:
I have to admit, I am semi-tempted by Accel World at that price yet the first light novel is released in what, three weeks?
Do eet. Accel World is very good, especially for that price.

Speaking of Accel World, I pre-ordered part 2 for myself, as well as ordering parts 1 + 2 for a friend. It'll be interesting to see whether this is a misprice.

How far does it go in terms of adaption?
If you're asking how many of the LNs it covers, apparently the entire series covers the first four volumes.
Unlike SAO it doesn't feel like a rushed mess.

Dannielle said:
All over that Neko. Gonna move my base order over to zavvi.

AW part 1 is out of stock now :( Bummer but put a order in for the second part.

Sorry I must have just pipped you to one of the last Part 1s since I ordered it around 11.40 today and it is listed as processing (and the cancel button has disappeared meaning it must be due to go out soon).

I also preorder Part 2 while I was there. I figured if there was a complete collection it might not be as cheap as this anyway - this works out at £25.98 while complete collections for Toradora and Bodacious Space Pirates are around £35 on Zavvi.

It'll be interesting to see if Zavvi honour that pricing mistake. They cancelled my order for the mispriced second Fairy Tail BD collection. (£9.99 instead of £29.99 IIRC)

Back