UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Bargains

-Danielle- said:
Yeah I might go take a goosey gander in my HMV. I hate the new one in the Arndale though, it's a shame they couldnt afford to keep the huge Market Street one. I loved it :(

Waiting for the new AOL DOTW to appear!!! :p

MY local one just bit the dust, something about the landlord wanting more rent, a sign in the window said thank you for the last 46 years :cry:

Patlabor OVAs i the deal of the week? Surely thats unmissable!

Trust me folks - I have the blu ray. it's kind of hard to see what it offers that the DVD wouldn't. Snap it up!

antonusklesk said:
-Danielle- said:
Yeah I might go take a goosey gander in my HMV. I hate the new one in the Arndale though, it's a shame they couldnt afford to keep the huge Market Street one. I loved it :(

Waiting for the new AOL DOTW to appear!!! :p

Ah another Manchester resident! I agree about that HMV, it's quite barebones really considering how big the market street store was.

Likewise waiting for the DOTW.

-edit- It's Patlabor OVA series 1 collection for £9.99 http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/product.php?productid=24214&cat=&page=1

Wahey, always nice to see some locals (to me lol) around here! I feel so alone, its like you either live south, north (me) or waaaaay north here and ive only seen the former and latter here so far...to my knowledge :p

Damn, it's a shame Patlabor doesnt look/sound like my thing. I guess it's good though as means I can carry on making my way through my "to watch" list :)

The anime section in Carlisle HMV was small, most of the titles weren't anime (Batman animated series), didn't see the Blood.

Maybe the people of the north don't like Anime, unlike those in the Mid-North of Manchester :p

hehe maybe! :p

FOPP which is a sister company to HMV had way better anime that HMV used to and now the space/selection FOPP has left is rubbish, as Kite said it's all like batman, hellboy etc. be great again FOPP! I remember when I bagged the 3 vols of ah! my goddess season 1 for £6 from you!!!!!

HMV tends to just have all the mainstream popular stuff atm. it's like i already own them or their cheaper online. boo hiss HMV.

I got the two parts of season 2 of D. Gray man for £2 each, and the 2 parts of season 1 for £5 each from Fopp in Edinburgh a while back. Still to this date, I think it's the lowest I've ever paid for a ~50 episode series.

Shiroi Hane said:
Don't think anyone has mentioned this here yet:
The Limited Edition combo pack of Blood C: The Last Dark is now £9.99 in HMV (exclusively).

It's in the HMV in Birmingham if anyone is looking to get it, i got it from there today :)

I miss it when Andover had 2 Fopps (in the months before they went under after buying out Music Zone), within a minute walk of each other. Now one is Bright House and the other is Simply Health

Kite said:
I miss it when Andover had 2 Fopps (in the months before they went under after buying out Music Zone), within a minute walk of each other. Now one is Bright House and the other is Simply Health
I miss when we had plenty of choice on the high street - HMV, MVC, Virgin etc.
Mind you, anime DVDs were £19.99 for a handful of episodes back then too (or £18.99 with an MVC card...) so it wasn't like the competition helped or anything (in fact I once payed £20.99, higher than RRP, for one volume of Angelic Layer in Virgin because no-one else had it). I still remember that one magical sale in Virgin that actually included ADV titles for the first time ever, with titles like Noir and Rahxephon.

The best sale I ever saw was at the HMV in Islington before they closed it down at the start of the year - they were basically getting rid of all the individual volumes of stuff like Bleach, Ah My Goddess and Soul Eater and were selling them for like 2.99 each - it was brilliant.

I got the Voltron steelbook for a few quid when Zavvi were closing down, although I got their last copy of Gunbuster vs Diebuster before the prices went right down in case someone beat me to it. They had Robotech sets ridiculously cheap, but they didn't have all of them so I didn't bother.

ilmaestro said:
Shiroi Hane said:
I miss when we had plenty of choice on the high street
Really? I much prefer having choice right at my fingertips. Mingling with the public is preeeeetty overrated.

I'm all for Amazon taking over the world if they keep prices low. There's a reason why they're succeeding, and it's as simple as a) lowest prices and b) quick, reliable, convenient delivery. When the high street can't match that, they don't have a hope in hell.

Our whole society is based on the notion of being 'time poor' these days, and companies will keep catering to that.

Lutga said:
ilmaestro said:
Shiroi Hane said:
I miss when we had plenty of choice on the high street
Really? I much prefer having choice right at my fingertips. Mingling with the public is preeeeetty overrated.

I'm all for Amazon taking over the world if they keep prices low. There's a reason why they're succeeding, and it's as simple as a) lowest prices and b) quick, reliable, convenient delivery. When the high street can't match that, they don't have a hope in hell.

Our whole society is based on the notion of being 'time poor' these days, and companies will keep catering to that.
The only problem with this is that without competition Amazon can raise the prices back up. A couple of months ago I purchased the UK bd of Kids On The Slope for my brother for around £22 but now it is listed at £32. The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is also listed at around £32 currently while the Gurren Lagaan UE is listed at £108.

My bigger problem with Amazon (as mentioned elsewhere) is how dominant they are becoming at all points along the production line. Other than that, I basically agree with Lutga. ^^;

Back