The Visual Novel Thread

I finished it with all the ending now done - just need to 100% it if I desire so. Not even had it for a month - I'm ill.

But now this is one of my favourite VNs of all time. Getting most of the flags wasn't hard in it, but there is a couple of routes that you need to do specific things on the phone to accomplish them - and after I got 4 of the other route endings, I needed a help guide. There is just so much that can lead you into another round of the same ending again and again. I would of missed it time and again if it wasn't planned out before me.

You can get some games which you can love some characters in the game's main cast and some with lesser attachment to. I loved everyone of the cast. But there are 2 characters that really need a mention in the spoilers:
Faris NyanNyan has the greatest imagination of a character when it comes to role playing and is 100% devoted. The way she can talk to you, then you make a serious point in the discussion and still she finds a way to make it into her fantasy. I could be great friends with a person like that. :D I promote her to waifu.
However - that may be fun, there is someone I can always have feels for. The BEST damn "niece" ever! Suzuha is kick-ass, rash, dependable and adorable. Hell, even when I 1st saw her I thought - "This girl's John Titor, isn't she?" No one wears fully grey sports gear and those twin tail-bags - and still pull-it-off. I didn't mean literally... I mean... What kind of uncle would I be... hahaha... /o\ Can I have one, please?

But yeah, had a gret time with Steins;Gate. Through all the manic laughter and some seriously touchy moments, I had a blast with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will throw a mention of Her Story into this thread. Not perhaps the exact same type of content as the games people have been playing and talking about in here, but I'm pretty sure my game of the year for 2015.

Rightstuf Xmas Sale Round-Up of Days 1-28: Visual Novel Edition

Rightstuf Xmas Sale Round-Up of Days 1-28: Visual Novel Edition

Quick round-up - Includes Days 1 to 28. I'll be making these types of posts at least once a week (16th, 23rd) until the sales end (unless no one posts in which case I'll update the current one).

Disclaimer: Prices do not include postage and VAT.

LccckWB.gif

JAST USA
[spoilerbutton]Absolute Obedience [NSFW] - $5.99
Amorous Professor Cherry/I'm Gonna Nurse You 1-2 [NSFW] - $14.97
Cat Girl Alliance [NSFW] - $14.97
Come See Me Tonight 1-2 [NSFW] - $14.97
Cosplay Fetish Academy [NSFW] - $17.97
Crescendo/Target: Pheromone [NSFW] - $14.97
Do You Like Horny Bunnies? 1 & 2 [NSFW] - $14.97
Hanachirasu [NSFW] - $11.97
Hitomi: My Stepsister/Gibo: Stepmother's Sin [NSFW] - $14.97
Idols Galore/Slave Pageant [NSFW] - $14.97
JAST USA Memorial Collection Game Set [NSFW] - $7.97
Kana ~ Okaeri/Sensei 2 [NSFW] - $14.97
Let's Meow Meow! [NSFW] - $11.97
Lightning Warrior Raidy [NSFW] - $14.97
Lightning Warrior Raidy II [NSFW] - $17.97
Princess Waltz [NSFW] - $17.97
Sagara Family/Chain [NSFW] - $14.97
Secret Wives' Club/Pick Me Honey! [NSFW] - $14.97
Snow Sakura [NSFW] - $14.97
Tsuki: Possession/Virgin Roster [NSFW] - $14.97
X-Change 1 & 2 [NSFW] - $11.97
Yin Yang/X-Change 3 [NSFW] - $14.97
Yukkuri Panic: Escalation [NSFW] - $14.97
Yume Miru Kusuri/Little My Maid [NSFW] - $14.97[/spoilerbutton]

MangaGamer
[spoilerbutton]Armored Warrior Iris [NSFW] - $14.97
Cho Dengeki Stryker: Limited Edition [NSFW] - $26.97
ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two: Limited Edition [NSFW] - $35.97
Valkyrie Svia [NSFW] - $14.97[/spoilerbutton]

You can still check out the others available from the previous days, these will all last until December 27th.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.Mon.. | .Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
******** | ******** | ******* | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | Day 04
Day 05 | Day 06 | Day 07 | Day 08 | Day 09 | Day 10 | Day 11
Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14 | Day 15 | Day 16 | Day 17 | Day 18
Day 19 | Day 20 | Day 21 | Day 22 | Day 23 | Day 24 | Day 25
Day 26 | Day 27 | Day 28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:p

A lot of extreme VNs listed on sale, there are some notable ones (that aren't as extreme but actually have story) like Cho Dengeki Stryker, ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two and Hanachirasu available.

I expect the likes of Aselia the Eternal, Bible Black, DearDrops, Deus Machina Demonbane, Eroge!, If My Heart Had Wings, Go Go Nippon, Kara no Shoujo, Koihime Muso, Saya no Uta, School Days HQ, Shuffle! and Steins;Gate to appear at some point.

I started playing Steins;Gate today and I'm really enjoying it so far! I've already seen the anime so a lot of the mystery aspects are lost for me as I know the answers but it's been awhile since I've seen the show so I actually think I've forgotten a lot of the finer details. Playing this is reminding me why I loved the show so much, the story is completely engrossing. Managed to get through the prologue and first chapter today and it took me about 3 and a half hours. I'm probably going to aim to go through a chapter everyday as that seems like a good pace. I've not really played through a VN before and most of my knowledge about them comes from watching OreImo (And I have no idea how accurate their depiction is in that show) so I was wondering, how easy is it to get all the different endings/scenarios? Will it auto save at all the decision points so I can take all the branching paths or will I have to play from the start?

IncendiaryLemon said:
I started playing Steins;Gate today and I'm really enjoying it so far! I've already seen the anime so a lot of the mystery aspects are lost for me as I know the answers but it's been awhile since I've seen the show so I actually think I've forgotten a lot of the finer details. Playing this is reminding me why I loved the show so much, the story is completely engrossing. Managed to get through the prologue and first chapter today and it took me about 3 and a half hours. I'm probably going to aim to go through a chapter everyday as that seems like a good pace. I've not really played through a VN before and most of my knowledge about them comes from watching OreImo (And I have no idea how accurate their depiction is in that show) so I was wondering, how easy is it to get all the different endings/scenarios? Will it auto save at all the decision points so I can take all the branching paths or will I have to play from the start?

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I've had a lot of fun playing it and Kurisu's expressions are amusing at times.

Chapter 4 is when the story will change depending on your phone conversations. I recommend you at least make a save at the start of that chapter (it's important for the True End Route).

As for the other endings, there will be a moment when you (minor spoiler for those who haven't played/seen Steins;Gate) decide to make a decision and you have like numerous lines saying you should do it (you'll see a phone icon pop up on the sentence). Ignore that and you get one type of ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi guys, i've been meaning to ask here about a kind of "essentials list" for visual novels

i've done a few of them before (va-11 hall-a, hatoful boyfriend, katawa shoujo, et al), but right now i want to go a bit deeper but i thought it would be nice to have a bunch of titles i can run through that might give me a good grasp of what i should look for in these things

thanks, in advance

I've been playing through a bit more of 9 Hours, 9 Persons lately - had two of the bad endings and, having identified the path to a third, working on getting that out of the way next.

It feels a little bit like the first ending I got was the one I was supposed to get (mc is killed, although the murderer is not revealed), but it never seemed like I was being guided down that path specifically. The second ending also saw the mc killed off, albeit this time following a confrontation with the murderer. I think it reflects well on the game's structure though that I'm in no way sure that the killer in the second ending was the same person as the first ending - it still feels like the game has a lot of secrets left to divluge.

At the moment, I'm guessing that Santa is probably trustworthy, Ace is clearly hiding something and Snake wasn't the body in Room 3.

Now had the third of six endings for 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors; another bad one :/

Everyone died. It also felt bleaker than the previous as this one has an additional scene of Junpei holding Akane as she succumbs to her wounds. It does show, however, that there is at least one extra person onboard besides the nine.

I kind of wonder if this was considered a harder ending to get. The save screen shows an icon for each ending you've cleared, and this was the last one, not to mention that you need to make a slightly aberrant choice to get to it. I have at least learned that your response to Clover's suggestion that the murderer is one of the nine appears to be branching point I hadn't noticed before.

In any case, I've really enjoyed the game so far. It gets a bit silly at times, but it's kept me guessing all the way along and still hasn't given up all its secrets yet. Might even go as far as to say this is my favourite VN to date, and I'm including Steins;Gate in that.

Visual novels almost never get dubbed. There's usually so much dialogue and the games are so niche that it'd be a lot of time and money for little gain.

I think the only novelty, is that anyone could extract those voice clips and place them in some SFM feature. Personally I prefer it spoken in Japanese if only for the fact I'm going to have to read the text box even if they spoke in English

Back