The Visual Novel Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MaxonTreik, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Za Warudo

I'm currently playing Psycho-Pass:Mandatory Happiness. Liking it a lot and I'm glad it's the Japanese VA's

2. IncendiaryLemon

IncendiaryLemon Captain Karen AUKN Staff

Does it include the dub actors as well?

3. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Za Warudo

Nope just the Japanese ones.

4. IncendiaryLemon

Bummer.

5. Lambadelta

Lambadelta Stand User

I've been replaying Umineko no naku koro ni Chiru, and Rose Gun Days - Final Season -

I absolutely love 07th Expansion's visual novels.

6. Joe

Joe School Idol

Visual novels almost never get dubbed. There's usually so much dialogue and the games are so niche that it'd be a lot of time and money for little gain.

7. thedoctor2016

thedoctor2016 Dragon Knight

Danganronpa is the exception not the rule sadly.

8. Professor Irony

Professor Irony Cardcaptor

I've been playing through a bit more of 9 Hours, 9 Persons lately - had two of the bad endings and, having identified the path to a third, working on getting that out of the way next.

It feels a little bit like the first ending I got was the one I was supposed to get (mc is killed, although the murderer is not revealed), but it never seemed like I was being guided down that path specifically. The second ending also saw the mc killed off, albeit this time following a confrontation with the murderer. I think it reflects well on the game's structure though that I'm in no way sure that the killer in the second ending was the same person as the first ending - it still feels like the game has a lot of secrets left to divluge.

At the moment, I'm guessing that Santa is probably trustworthy, Ace is clearly hiding something and Snake wasn't the body in Room 3.

9. Professor Irony

Professor Irony Cardcaptor

Now had the third of six endings for 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors; another bad one :/

Everyone died. It also felt bleaker than the previous as this one has an additional scene of Junpei holding Akane as she succumbs to her wounds. It does show, however, that there is at least one extra person onboard besides the nine.

I kind of wonder if this was considered a harder ending to get. The save screen shows an icon for each ending you've cleared, and this was the last one, not to mention that you need to make a slightly aberrant choice to get to it. I have at least learned that your response to Clover's suggestion that the murderer is one of the nine appears to be branching point I hadn't noticed before.

In any case, I've really enjoyed the game so far. It gets a bit silly at times, but it's kept me guessing all the way along and still hasn't given up all its secrets yet. Might even go as far as to say this is my favourite VN to date, and I'm including Steins;Gate in that.

10. Otaku-san

Otaku-san Chuunibyou

I think the only novelty, is that anyone could extract those voice clips and place them in some SFM feature. Personally I prefer it spoken in Japanese if only for the fact I'm going to have to read the text box even if they spoke in English

11. Otaku-san

Otaku-san Chuunibyou

Memorys Dogma available on steam now with 10% off Steamy hot link

I hardly call these breathtaking features, but guess its mandatory so not to throw players thinking its got Breaking Sword levels of Adventure

Well that is quite an impressive list, not that I'd recognise them by sound alone

Published by Sekei Project. I remember when they were just a fan group for School Days.

12. Rayla

Rayla Completely Average High School Student

I really fancy playing little busters visual novel er probably the clean one...probably... Cause i enjoyed the anime so much. Though theres one i had my eye on that has escaped my memory seemed cool, had a shock ending like it seemed like a refular romance but if you made the wrong choices when you pick a girl at the end the sky goes red and the world goes completely mental canny mind the name of it

13. Lord Bacchus

Lord Bacchus Dandy Guy, in Space

I'm currently playing through the original Tsukihime. I haven't played many visual novels so far, only Steins;Gate Zero and Root Letter on my PS4. This is definitely the first one with eroge elements I've tried, but I saw the anime and it intrigued me. Since all of the fans of the vn hate the anime, I felt compelled to find out what was so amazing about it. but I thought I would go play the visual novel since no anime exists. So far I'm a few hours in and loving it. It's very enthralling, and the fan translation seems to flow well.

Edit: Okay, now I've been playing for almost nine hours straight. I feel as if I've discovered a part of myself I didn't know existed. It is both troubling and enlightening. My eyes hurt.

Edit: I am just finishing up the final route, and oh wow this thing is amazing. I have wasted much holiday time and made myself feel a little ill in the process, but I just couldn't stop reading. I have to hand it to Mirror Moon as well on this one, their translation is so good. I saw only a single grammatical hiccup in the entire thing, and the vast majority of professional translations from Japanese aren't anywhere near this well done, even for anime which has only an infinitesimal fraction of text compared to VNs. They must have had excellent translators, and incredibly diligent editors, because if it weren't for the honourifics/names and stuff, it would be very hard to tell that this wasn't originally written in English. Next stop is Kagetsu Tohya, and then perhaps onto Fate/Stay Night. If I keep going I will be allowed to watch Carnival Phantasm. :-D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  14. Lord Bacchus

I think my mentality on this thus far is to go for the eroge version if it was originally released as such, since the original vision would have been altered to compensate for cut scenes, but don't go for it if the original version was an "all ages" one. I believe Little Busters was originally released clean, so I would also go for the clean version. To be honest, the thought of seeing Key characters in any kind of sexual situation makes me die a little inside, so I'd probably go for clean regardless of original intent for all of their stuff. :D

15. IncendiaryLemon

Wait, there's an 18+ Little Busters?! Please don't tell me they Lewd the Kud ;_;

Lord Bacchus likes this.
  16. NormanicGrav

NormanicGrav The Eagle-Eyed Member Moderator

The main base game is all-ages, it's the EX routes (Ecstasy) that have Eroge content.

17. Lord Bacchus

I don't plan to find out. :D As Grav said, there is an expanded version which was released later with eroge content. I ain't gonna touch that **** with a ten foot pole though. It would just make me sad.

Neil.T likes this.
  18. Lord Bacchus

Just bought the bundle on steam, so I'm about to finally start playing the Clannad visual novel. I hope it lives up to the high expectations I have for it, but I doubt I'll be disappointed with it since I loved the anime!

Edit: I've completed four routes so far and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I am loving it every bit as much as the anime, probably even more. It's very satisfying to see the fully fleshed out versions of the stories which only got small arcs in the anime. The fact that there are a few people on Steam (a small minority) that don't think this visual novel is worth £30 is utterly bizarre to me, given how long it is, how beautifully it presents its story, and how endearing all of the characters are.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  19. Lord Bacchus

32 hours into Clannad and I don't think I've even completed half of it yet. Why is this thing so long? :'( And so beautiful.

20. Neil.T

Neil.T Magical Girl

Urgh [shudders]. Yeah, that's really not a pleasant thought at all, is it? Ick.

Lord Bacchus likes this.