The Visual Novel Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MaxonTreik, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Professor Irony

Professor Irony Cardcaptor

Possibly more of an adventure game than a true VN, but if you have a DS, Hotel Dusk might be one to check out.

2. Greenmeido

Greenmeido Kiznaiver

Regardless of the speed, it's a machine translation so the quality is bad.

3. Professor Irony

Ah, oh dear. Still, at the present rate, I probably won't get to it any time soon...

4. black1blade

black1blade Thousand Master

The ending is pretty awesome but it only gets better from fate.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  5. Lutga

Lutga Mad Scientist

Is Fate Stay Night particularly explicit? I haven't read many VNs, but going by the anime version, it's hard to know how 'far' it goes?

6. ilmaestro

ilmaestro State Alchemist

If you're worried about that you can just play Realta Nua instead.

7. black1blade

black1blade Thousand Master

There is this epic relta nua patch on beast's lair that has options pretaining to having the sex scenes on or off. While the sex scenes are stupid, they actually have a purpose plot wise and the things they are replaced with are even more stupid. It would probably better just to cover your eyes and skip through the sex scenes as the do happen and can b important to the characters (last route mainly).

8. Professor Irony

Was away on holiday for a few days, so I thought I'd fire up the DS and try to finally finish Hotel Dusk. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the cartridge, so I started into Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors instead, with which I was suitably impressed. The puzzles aren't greatly taxing and there's some dubious localisation going on in the script, but I've found the story very engaging and I love the 'sinking ship/solve convoluted puzzle rooms to advance' conceit - it reminds me of nothing so much as the Crystal Maze.

9. Chaz

Chaz Chuunibyou

Funny that you mention "holiday = VN Catch-up."

Got Steins;Gate for a b-day present earlier this month - And I've rarely stepped out the house in this week whilst using my vacation time.
    Eating a meal - Turn on PS3.
    Iron clothes - Turn PS3 on.
    Nothing planned for the day - Turn PS3 on.
    Free time between 2 activities - Turn PS3 on.
    I think if someone puts a VN in front of me - I become addicted to it and use all my strength to complete it. orz

This VN has given me so many laughs and so many things I cannot unsee. I think I'm on the last leg of it now, and I wanna go back to finish all the trophies off. This is bad... But at least it's not a continuous game you can play over and over with new ideas or results - like sports games and MMORPGs... otherwise - I'd have no chance of survival. lol

10. IncendiaryLemon

IncendiaryLemon Captain Karen AUKN Staff

I've been wanting to play Steins;Gate myself for sometime, the anime is one of my all time favourites. Hoping to pick up a Vita copy some time in the near future.

11. Chaz

Chaz Chuunibyou

I finished it with all the ending now done - just need to 100% it if I desire so. Not even had it for a month - I'm ill.

But now this is one of my favourite VNs of all time. Getting most of the flags wasn't hard in it, but there is a couple of routes that you need to do specific things on the phone to accomplish them - and after I got 4 of the other route endings, I needed a help guide. There is just so much that can lead you into another round of the same ending again and again. I would of missed it time and again if it wasn't planned out before me.

You can get some games which you can love some characters in the game's main cast and some with lesser attachment to. I loved everyone of the cast. But there are 2 characters that really need a mention in the spoilers:
    Faris NyanNyan has the greatest imagination of a character when it comes to role playing and is 100% devoted. The way she can talk to you, then you make a serious point in the discussion and still she finds a way to make it into her fantasy. I could be great friends with a person like that. :D I promote her to waifu.
    However - that may be fun, there is someone I can always have feels for. The BEST damn "niece" ever! Suzuha is kick-ass, rash, dependable and adorable. Hell, even when I 1st saw her I thought - "This girl's John Titor, isn't she?" No one wears fully grey sports gear and those twin tail-bags - and still pull-it-off. I didn't mean literally... I mean... What kind of uncle would I be... hahaha... /o\ Can I have one, please?

But yeah, had a gret time with Steins;Gate. Through all the manic laughter and some seriously touchy moments, I had a blast with it.

12. ilmaestro

ilmaestro State Alchemist

I will throw a mention of Her Story into this thread. Not perhaps the exact same type of content as the games people have been playing and talking about in here, but I'm pretty sure my game of the year for 2015.

13. NormanicGrav

NormanicGrav Hai Hai Grav desu Moderator

14. NormanicGrav

Rightstuf Xmas Sale Round-Up of Days 1-28: Visual Novel Edition

Rightstuf Xmas Sale Round-Up of Days 1-28: Visual Novel Edition

Quick round-up - Includes Days 1 to 28. I'll be making these types of posts at least once a week (16th, 23rd) until the sales end (unless no one posts in which case I'll update the current one).

Disclaimer: Prices do not include postage and VAT.

[​IMG]

JAST USA
    [spoilerbutton]Absolute Obedience [NSFW] - $5.99
    Amorous Professor Cherry/I'm Gonna Nurse You 1-2 [NSFW] - $14.97
    Cat Girl Alliance [NSFW] - $14.97
    Come See Me Tonight 1-2 [NSFW] - $14.97
    Cosplay Fetish Academy [NSFW] - $17.97
    Crescendo/Target: Pheromone [NSFW] - $14.97
    Do You Like Horny Bunnies? 1 & 2 [NSFW] - $14.97
    Hanachirasu [NSFW] - $11.97
    Hitomi: My Stepsister/Gibo: Stepmother's Sin [NSFW] - $14.97
    Idols Galore/Slave Pageant [NSFW] - $14.97
    JAST USA Memorial Collection Game Set [NSFW] - $7.97
    Kana ~ Okaeri/Sensei 2 [NSFW] - $14.97
    Let's Meow Meow! [NSFW] - $11.97
    Lightning Warrior Raidy [NSFW] - $14.97
    Lightning Warrior Raidy II [NSFW] - $17.97
    Princess Waltz [NSFW] - $17.97
    Sagara Family/Chain [NSFW] - $14.97
    Secret Wives' Club/Pick Me Honey! [NSFW] - $14.97
    Snow Sakura [NSFW] - $14.97
    Tsuki: Possession/Virgin Roster [NSFW] - $14.97
    X-Change 1 & 2 [NSFW] - $11.97
    Yin Yang/X-Change 3 [NSFW] - $14.97
    Yukkuri Panic: Escalation [NSFW] - $14.97
    Yume Miru Kusuri/Little My Maid [NSFW] - $14.97[/spoilerbutton]

MangaGamer
    [spoilerbutton]Armored Warrior Iris [NSFW] - $14.97
    Cho Dengeki Stryker: Limited Edition [NSFW] - $26.97
    ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two: Limited Edition [NSFW] - $35.97
    Valkyrie Svia [NSFW] - $14.97[/spoilerbutton]

You can still check out the others available from the previous days, these will all last until December 27th.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    .Mon.. | .Tue.. | .Wed.. | .Thu.. | ..Fri... | ..Sat.. | ..Sun..
    ******** | ******** | ******* | Day 01 | Day 02 | Day 03 | Day 04
    Day 05 | Day 06 | Day 07 | Day 08 | Day 09 | Day 10 | Day 11
    Day 12 | Day 13 | Day 14 | Day 15 | Day 16 | Day 17 | Day 18
    Day 19 | Day 20 | Day 21 | Day 22 | Day 23 | Day 24 | Day 25
    Day 26 | Day 27 | Day 28
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:p

A lot of extreme VNs listed on sale, there are some notable ones (that aren't as extreme but actually have story) like Cho Dengeki Stryker, ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two and Hanachirasu available.

I expect the likes of Aselia the Eternal, Bible Black, DearDrops, Deus Machina Demonbane, Eroge!, If My Heart Had Wings, Go Go Nippon, Kara no Shoujo, Koihime Muso, Saya no Uta, School Days HQ, Shuffle! and Steins;Gate to appear at some point.

15. IncendiaryLemon

I started playing Steins;Gate today and I'm really enjoying it so far! I've already seen the anime so a lot of the mystery aspects are lost for me as I know the answers but it's been awhile since I've seen the show so I actually think I've forgotten a lot of the finer details. Playing this is reminding me why I loved the show so much, the story is completely engrossing. Managed to get through the prologue and first chapter today and it took me about 3 and a half hours. I'm probably going to aim to go through a chapter everyday as that seems like a good pace. I've not really played through a VN before and most of my knowledge about them comes from watching OreImo (And I have no idea how accurate their depiction is in that show) so I was wondering, how easy is it to get all the different endings/scenarios? Will it auto save at all the decision points so I can take all the branching paths or will I have to play from the start?

16. NormanicGrav

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I've had a lot of fun playing it and Kurisu's expressions are amusing at times.

Chapter 4 is when the story will change depending on your phone conversations. I recommend you at least make a save at the start of that chapter (it's important for the True End Route).

As for the other endings, there will be a moment when you (minor spoiler for those who haven't played/seen Steins;Gate) decide to make a decision and you have like numerous lines saying you should do it (you'll see a phone icon pop up on the sentence). Ignore that and you get one type of ending.

17. IncendiaryLemon

I see, thanks for the advice. One feature I did notice is you can lock save games down so you can't overwrite them so I'll be sure to do that for Chapter 4.

18. Jinjer

Jinjer Completely Average High School Student

hi guys, i've been meaning to ask here about a kind of "essentials list" for visual novels

i've done a few of them before (va-11 hall-a, hatoful boyfriend, katawa shoujo, et al), but right now i want to go a bit deeper but i thought it would be nice to have a bunch of titles i can run through that might give me a good grasp of what i should look for in these things

thanks, in advance

19. IncendiaryLemon

I don't play VNs at all really but Steins;Gate, Clannad and Fate/Stay Night all seem to be incredibly popular.

20. NoSurprises

NoSurprises Great Teacher

While it's not exactly a pure VN, I've really enjoyed the Zero Escape series.