The Visual Novel Thread

Maxon said:
Professor Irony said:
The finished version will allegedly contain "adult content", although thankfully for those of us who do not wish to bring shame upon the ancestors, there'll be an option to turn this off.
Heaven forbid that sex is depicted in fiction. Won't someone think of the children?
let us give the children sex, for it is a natural part of our life cycle!

THEY MUST LEARN!!!

sage.jpg

(i tired to find a picture of Saru from Seto no Hanayome dressed up in his Sage outfit, it failed so this'll do :wink: )

Maxon said:
Heaven forbid that sex is depicted in fiction. Won't someone think of the children?

I'm not concerned about them depicting sex as much as I'm concerned about them depicting sex in a manner that ends with a visit from the party van.

Professor Irony said:
Maxon said:

I'm not concerned about them depicting sex as much as I'm concerned about then depicting sex in a manner that ends with a visit from the party van.
I don't have a problem with 16-18 year olds having sex. If they're underage then maybe we have problems. However, I don't believe age restrictions for certain liberties, such as sex, are the best idea for many things, but that's another whole kettle of fish.

I finished You's route on Ever 17 just before Christmas and bricks were shat. I'm thinking time loops are involved and Kid is actually right about being a time traveller to a certain extent. I'll be starting another route to confirm this theory when I've gone through a few routes in other VNs. I'm also still going through Chaos;Head. I'd say it's just as good as F/SN, but for different reasons, and is joint first on my list of favourite VNs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I just had different expectations after seeing the anime, but I found the actual gameplay mechanic in Chaos; Head a bit dissappointing. I would have liked it better if Takumi's hallucenations were brought about by the actions you choose for him rather than just bluntly picking between positive, negative or no delusion.

so i take it no images with this thread, damn.

anyhow a game you people shod defiantly try is Brave Soul, mixture of RPG plus sim dating

for me though i've freed some space from my drive T.T
and am playing soldier at the moment

Official Visual Novel / Date Sim thread! [NSFW]

If you're reading this you are likely thinking, thank god! it's about time we had one of these! I did a search and found nothing of this, if there is already one just delete this thread.

What are Visual Novels / Dating Sims?

A visual novel (ビジュアルノベル bijuaru noberu?) is an interactive fiction game featuring mostly static graphics, usually with anime-style art. As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels or tableau vivant stage plays.
In Japanese, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL) and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV). This distinction is normally lost in the West, since both are streamlined compared to Western adventure games. Visual novels and ADVs are especially prevalent in Japan, where they make up nearly 70% of PC games released.
Visual novels are rarely produced for video game consoles, but the more popular games are sometimes ported to systems such as the Dreamcast or the PlayStation 2. The more famous visual novels are also often adapted into the light novel, manga or anime formats. The market for visual novels outside of East Asia, however, is small, though a number of anime based on visual novels are popular among anime fans in the Western world; such titles include Kanon (1999), Air (2000) and Clannad (2004) by Key; Rumbling Hearts (2001) and School Days (2005) by Age; Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2002) by 07th Expansion; Fate/stay night (2004) by Type-Moon, and the Phoenix Wright series (2005).
(courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel)

So you like VN's or Date Sims?

Well so do i! I'd like to point out some good websites to order you Visual Novel's / Dating Simulators and it seems that the popular ones are:

www.up1.co.uk
www.amazon.co.uk
http://www.mangagamer.com/
http://www.jlist.com/

(Pm me to have your trusted store added to this list.)

Gameplay

Visual novels are distinguished from other game types by their extremely minimal gameplay. Typically the majority of player interaction is limited to clicking to keep the text, graphics and sound moving (most recent games offer 'play' or 'fast-forward' toggles that make even this unnecessary).
Most visual novels have multiple storylines and many endings; the gameplay mechanic in these cases typically consists of intermittent multiple-choice decision points, where the player selects a direction in which to take the game. This style of gameplay has been compared to the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Most, however, strive for a higher level of plot and character depth than the aforementioned series of interactive children's books. These can be more closely compared to story-driven interactive fiction. While the plots and storytelling of mainstream video games is often criticized, many fans of visual novels hold them up as exceptions and identify this as a strong point of the genre.
Some visual novels do not limit themselves into merely interactive fictions, but also incorporate other elements into them. An example of this is Symphonic Rain, where the player is required to play a musical instrument of some sort, and attain a good score in order to advance. Usually such an element is related as a plot device in the game.
Some shorter works do not contain any decision points at all. Most examples of this sort are fan-created. Fan-created novel games are reasonably popular; there are a number of free game engines and construction kits aimed at making them easy to construct, most notably NScripter, KiriKiri and Ren'Py.
Many visual novels use voice actors to provide voices for the characters in the game. Often, the protagonist is left unvoiced, even when the rest of the characters are fully voiced. This is to aid the player in identifying with the protagonist and to avoid having to record large amounts of dialog, as the main character typically has the most speaking lines due to the branching nature of visual novels.

Wikipe-tan_visual_novel_(Ren'Py).png

(gameplay)

Content and genre

Many visual novels are centered around drama, particularly themes involving romance or family, but visual novels centered around science fiction, fantasy fiction, and horror fiction are not uncommon.
Traditionally, PC-based visual novels have contained ecchi scenes even if the overall focus is not erotic (similar to the "obligatory sex scene" in Hollywood action films). However, the vast majority of console ports do not contain adult material, and a number of recent PC games have also been targeted at the all-age market; for example, all of Key's titles come in family-friendly versions, and two have never contained adult content at all. Also, all of KID's titles are family-friendly.
However, most still are then followed with hentai scenes-added versions later, or have a sequel with such (Little Busters! was first released an all-ages visual novel, but a version with erotic scenes, entitled Little Busters EX, came out later, and though Clannad is also all-ages, its spinoff Tomoyo After: It's a Wonderful Life is not.) One notable exception to the rule is Myself ; Yourself, which never had a no-ero version, though it did contain mature content not suitable for younger audiences. Another is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, but that was less of a dating game per say, and more of mystery.

Although Visual Novels are released originally in Japanese there are normally English patches or a full English re-release to be found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_an ... ideo_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... e_or_manga

What do you recommend?!

Personally i haven't played that many VN's but i do enjoy them and this section is to help out someone who is either looking for a new VN to play or new to the whole genre.

Da Capo
Shuffle!
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Fate/Stay Night

(pm me to have your favorite VN's added here.)

Back