The Visual Novel Thread

fabricatedlunatic said:
Again, though, most of what's been released in the US ranks poor to average, usually high in adult content and low in story.
I don't find this the least bit surprising when stuff like SHUFFLE! gets releases. Thankfully Saya no Uta and Chäos;HEAd are getting releases at some point in the future from JAST USA (they're working with the group that did translation patches for both VNs). Both seem to be heavy on psychological horror. However, as much as I want to check out Saya no Uta, it looks like the creepiest thing I've ever seen. :twisted:

Thats another thing, since you brought up translation groups. I've noticed a fair few translation groups actually getting the go ahead by the actual producers to translate the game, which i find it be pretty good. If i remember rightly, the one that works on the Umineko games was given the go ahead by the creator himself, which is probably something you would never see outside of something like this. Something you'd probably never see with other things.

I might try one out some time, but not Type-Moon, hate it. Also, I've just recently noticed, the only threads that usually get 2 pages+ in this section are all anime related games. Man.

Arbalest said:
Thats another thing, since you brought up translation groups. I've noticed a fair few translation groups actually getting the go ahead by the actual producers to translate the game, which i find it be pretty good. If i remember rightly, the one that works on the Umineko games was given the go ahead by the creator himself, which is probably something you would never see outside of something like this. Something you'd probably never see with other things.
http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... 68&start=3

The thing is that they worked with the creators to ensure you have a purchased copy of umineko.

I'd love to see such relationships working together in the future to release more stuff, even if I don't play these games myself.

Rui said:
Ahaha, I had True Love too. I loved the very British accents all the ladies had in text; such a shame all of those Otaku versions seemed to disappear without trace after a few years. I wouldn't mind picking up some of the others one day.
I might be imagining this, but didn't the word "snogging" appear in one of their games? If not, it should have.

@ayase: That's Paradise Heights. It's completely linear, so the main character just bangs his way through the entire apartment building regardless of what you do. And it sold well enough to justify a sequel o_O

That's the one. I didn't think it was very challenging.

I was digging around and I found the OEL Visual Novel 'Heileen' (nothing to do with Nazis, surprisingly) which I've now downloaded the demo of. Seems quite good fun and the lead is female for a change. No real sexiness I don't think, but I did manage a lesbian kiss in the demo by sufficiently alienating the main male love interest. The dialogue's a bit clunky but I like the art and the unusual 17th Century seafaring theme.

Playing Higurashi at the moment, gotta say it's a lot different from the DEEN adaptation, artwork is god awful though.
Finished playing Umineko last week, oh why won't 07 hire an artist, but i love the mystery.

Maxon said:
Thankfully Saya no Uta and Chäos;HEAd are getting releases at some point in the future from JAST USA
Huh, I didn't know they had Saya no Uta. Given that they're currently working on Demonbane and considering their slow release schedule, it might be a while before they get around to it. I wouldn't expect Demonbane until March/April at the earliest. Should be worth the wait, though.

In terms of official English language releases, I can certainly recommend MangaGamer's KiraKira, which I'm playing at the moment. It's about four friends who form a band to commemorate the closure of their school club. Needless to say, what was originally intended to be a one-off perfomance at the school festival ends up propelling them into a much larger adventure. And it really is absoultely massive; I've been playing on and off for several weeks and I still haven't got an ending.

Here's a good review.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Huh, I didn't know they had Saya no Uta. Given that they're currently working on Demonbane and considering their slow release schedule, it might be a while before they get around to it. I wouldn't expect Demonbane until March/April at the earliest. Should be worth the wait, though.
Here's a bit of the official statement.

Here's your official statement regarding our Nitro+ translations.

We are currently trying out a bit of a partnership with JAST USA in order to do a few different things:

1) Increase the speed at which the finished products are released. This is probably the item of most interest.
2) Ensure that Nitro+ fans are working on the projects, in order to provide the highest localization quality possible.
3) Simply get more Nitro+ titles translated in general and help support the companies involved. The fact that we can do this with Nitro+'s blessing is even better.

As for details of the partnership... Basically, we'll just let them have our current work and continue to work with them to finish anything we're not done with. We're also interested in working with them on games that haven't seen any sort of translation attempt as of yet.

Obviously, since we'll be working with JAST to have our translations released officially, we've taken the script files and patches offline. This was done in order to both support future official releases and to provide incentive for others to actually buy the damn games.
http://www.tsukuru.info/tlwiki/index.ph ... aya_no_Uta

After Fabio pestered me, I followed his instructions, downloading Utawarerumonobonosalono. I now have it fully installed, in English.

SRPG elements + masturbation material - how can it fail?

I never thought it'd be so easy; this VN piracy lark.

"Oh.... Ah...."

"I..... I'm burning....."

^ Good start, this. I'm just waiting for this: "Don't worry; my penis will make you better."

Just started playing Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, and damn this game is brutal. The guy in charge of the main character shot one of his fellow cadets just because she was late at the very beginning.

I agree that Ever17 is an amazing Visual Novel and a must play for anyone interested in getting into VNs.

One of the best I've played recently is Katawa Shoujo, and best of all it's absolutely free! Katawa Shoujo's one of the best written and endearing VNs out there. I'm excited to play the finished product when it's finally complete.

I like your Saya avatar. I played through the game recently, getting all three endings, and it was all kinds of disturbing yet utterly compelling. It's one of those stories that lingers in your mind for a good while after you finish it. And it's just about the right length as well; a lot of visual novels pad out their stories with extraneous ******** and I end up barely resisting the urge to utilize the skip text button. There are, of course, exceptions to that: KiraKira is a very, verrrrry long game but it never drags. Well, rarely.

Soul Link is out at the end of the month, so I'll most likely be picking that up. It's a sci-fi themed game and sounds as though it could be quite dark and dramatic. I also have Cross Channel, Sharin no Kuni, and Family Project, all of which I hope to start playing sometime in the next decade.

You should check out Princess Waltz (similar to Fate/Stay Night), Family Project and Yume Muri Kusuri, great games in themselves.

Kira Kira was certainly excellant, its one i quite enjoyed

RetroRainbow said:
Surprisingly, when I finally got around to playing it, it wasn't gory enough.
Yeah, it wasn't especially graphic. I don't think it really needed to be, though, as the way the story played out was disconcerting enough. But in a good way! I'd venture to say it was more suspsenceful and intense than any anime horror I've seen (aside from the first arc of Higuarashi perhaps). The music certainly played a big part. One track I'll always remember is that sickening, grinding industrial track with the dissonant guitar, which seems to represent the descent into madness of various characters.

What was your favourite ending? I personally liked the one where Koji goes insane. There was something oddly surreal about a dazed Koji offering an imaginary Ryoko with her arm falling off a cup of tea. Deliciously dark at the end with the thing about the bullets in the gun, too.
That was the first ending I got and at first I remember thinking "what the hell"? But shortly afterwards I stopped being dense and realized what was happening and, yeah, I loved the dark twist at the very end. In my typically indecisive way I'm not able to pick a favourite, but I liked the "true" ending where Saya found love and regained her instinctive drive to reproduce, releasing her spores and transforming humanity into her kind. It's a testament to the strength of the writing that I wanted Saya and Fujimori--characters who did some nasty things--to be together even if it meant the end of the world... the one we know, at least.

The so-called "good" ending, where Fujimori chooses to return to normal and Saya selflessly grants his wish, was the most emotive. The conversation they had via the mobile phone was heartbreaking, total emotional devastation.... excusemeIhavesomethinginmyeye

It wasn't really the length that killed me about Kirakira, it was actually the translation. Incredibly awkward, and totally took away from the feel of the story.

Ah yes, MangaGamer's translations. Apparently Shuffle and Suika are better, but I'm not interested in either of those, so I'll have to wait until Soul Link to see if there's been the major improvement that their translation work really needs. KiraKira's writing was a lot better than the writing in their early games, which were just about comprehensible, but still, I can't imagine it was translated by a native speaker. Too many glaringly obvious grammar and syntax errors. And I can't believe they messed up with the music references! The scenario writer clearly has a lot of love for punk/post punk/new wave, but it's not shared by whoever did the translation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that finds the artwork for Yume Muri Kusuri dull? I played it for a short while just to get a feel for it when I was taking a break from a couple VNs, and everything felt static. It really felt like I was watching a Powerpoint slideshow. Now I know the graphics don't vary greatly in VNs, but this VN is just really lazily put together. It doesn't feel like you're talking to or interacting with the characters. Not to mention the hero of the story feels like he's made to be as boring as possible for the sake of self-insertion, which makes the first problem all the more jarring.

Never noticed there was a VN thread until now.

gaanbo said:
One of the best I've played recently is Katawa Shoujo, and best of all it's absolutely free! Katawa Shoujo's one of the best written and endearing VNs out there. I'm excited to play the finished product when it's finally complete.

This. More people should play Katawa Shoujo. Remarkably for a project born on 4chan, it rises above its macabre potential and proves to be a sharply written little comedy-drama about confronting one's prejudices. The finished version will allegedly contain "adult content", although thankfully for those of us who do not wish to bring shame upon the ancestors, there'll be an option to turn this off.

Also Snatcher. Frankly they had me at "Cyberpunk Adventure", but when Hideo Kojima rips off Blade Runner and the Terminator, what's not to love?

Professor Irony said:
The finished version will allegedly contain "adult content", although thankfully for those of us who do not wish to bring shame upon the ancestors, there'll be an option to turn this off.
Heaven forbid that sex is depicted in fiction. Won't someone think of the children?

Back