The Q & A Thread (for questions that do not need a thread)

Emulsion

Stand User
What packaging does UP1 use when shipping a Blu-ray that comes with an art box?, AoT S3 CE for example. Haven't ordered anything that comes with an art box from them for years. I think the last art box I got from them came in a padded envelope, can't be sure though.

I know they put a stardard Blu-ray in a padded envelope, and the last time I got two manga's, they too came in a padded envelope.

NormanicGrav

Yume no Shima Shinen Kōen
AUKN Staff
What packaging does UP1 use when shipping a Blu-ray that comes with an art box?, AoT S3 CE for example. Haven't ordered anything that comes with an art box from them for years. I think the last art box I got from them came in a padded envelope, can't be sure though.

I know they put a stardard Blu-ray in a padded envelope, and the last time I got two manga's, they too came in a padded envelope.
I believe they tend to use packaging similarly to Rightstuf so if it's a chipboard rigid box set then it'll come in a box with paper to wrap it up. Granted it's been months since I had last used UP1.

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Didn't entirely mean the PQ, but the show itself. 3.5/5 was for the show, but the reviewer gave it a highly recommended, which doesn't make sense to me.

Luna

Stand User
Solid slight above average I'd say. (It's 5.5 to 6/10 in my books.)
The premise is kind of pretty dumb and most of the setting is hard to take serious, which fits the comedic tone. The title's biggest asset is that it manages to incoporate a good bunch pretty real RL issues into it. But almost all of them are high school-student-school-education-family-build your identy-related though, so if you're out of that age, there is probably not as much identification value anymore. (And even if, the west has by far not as much pressured cramming.) It's also somewhat more episodic in S1. There is some adult side, too, but it mostly comes around S2-wise, along with getting more dramatical, as the premise's plot comes looming.
Anime production wise it's neither terrible nor anything special, was just servicable to me. (Read: it's visually pretty static for the most part, but stays on-model about all the time.) S2 had its moments at the midline at some drama parts (FukuJun doing a really good job) and some low lights at some action mini-arc. (Too much shacky cam trying to hide that they just couldn't get someone specializing in action animation for a fight that was even quite pivotal.)
S1 ist kinda slow imo, almost felt streched compared to the source material. S2 in turn picks up the pace a good deal in order for fit everything in. (S1 was I think 8 volumes. Total volumes are 21.) It's not really butchered in the anime, also is ok if you have it to some snoballing effect. But it's conceivable.

Trivia side note: There is a character in this show, which looks extremely like of Doramon's Gian and even has the same voice actor. (Kimura Subaru.) A recurring trait of Doraemon is that every episode (or even half episode) resets itself into having never happened, so every single lessons learned the characters ever have gets scrapped along with that. Watching AC was like seeing how that Gian actually managed to grow up.

Last edited:

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Solid slight above average I'd say. (It's 5.5 to 6/10 in my books.)
The premise is kind of pretty dumb and most of the setting is hard to take serious, which fits the comedic tone. The title's biggest asset is that it manages to incoporate a good bunch pretty real RL issues into it. But almost all of them are high school-student-school-education-family-build your identy-related though, so if you're out of that age, there is probably not as much identification value anymore. (And even if, the west has by far not as much pressured cramming.) It's also somewhat more episodic in S1. There is some adult side, too, but it mostly comes around S2-wise, along with getting more dramatical, as the premise's plot comes looming.
Anime production wise it's neither terrible nor anything special, was just servicable to me. (Read: it's visually pretty static for the most part, but stays on-model about all the time.) S2 had its moments at the midline at some drama parts (FukuJun doing a really good job) and some low lights at some action mini-arc. (Too much shacky cam trying to hide that they just couldn't get someone specializing in action animation for a fight that was even quite pivotal.)
S1 ist kinda slow imo, almost felt streched compared to the source material. S2 in turn picks up the pace a good deal in order for fit everything in. (S1 was I think 8 volumes. Total volumes are 21.) It's not really butchered in the anime, also is ok if you have it to some snoballing effect. But it's conceivable.

Trivia side note: There is a character in this show, which looks extremely like of Doramon's Gian and even has the same voice actor. (Kimura Subaru.) A recurring trait of Doraemon is that every episode (or even half episode) resets itself into having never happened, so every single lessons learned the characters ever have gets scrapped along with that. Watching AC was like seeing how that Gian actually managed to grow up.
Wow, that was actually a bit lower than what I had hoped for lol. I'll try to see if I can get into Funimation's streaming service and watch a couple of episodes before I decide then.

Would $42 be worth it for the blu-rays? Both seasons.

kevers7290

Completely Average High School Student
Can anyone provide pictures of the innards of the AL Patema Inverted collector's edition? I can only find pictures of the Kickstarter "ultimate edition."

Luna

Stand User
Wow, that was actually a bit lower than what I had hoped for lol.
Well, going by premise I'm not really the target audience, so it was actually a neat surprise that it managed so many down to earth-relatable level topics within this absurd premise. Also gotta give it to the manga author for having the galls to have a protagonist with a literal smiley face head whilst making it work at the same time. (Think about what a genius move that is to reduce the deadly workload of drawing the weekly chapters!) The covers of the manga are equally just Koro's Smiley faces, but as the volumes go on it's also an example of how even smileys can have quite a variety. (And then comes the last volume that breaks the combo, whilst still having a smiley facing, by utilizing the moon.)

If you are mean, this is the child-friendly version of GTO as it can hide everything questionable behind a gag. It never really gets really perverted (beyond recurring gags), nor is sexuality really ever a thing. (Beyond miss Bitch-sensei who is equally played for a gag in almost all cases.) That is, if you ignore what questionable reputation tentacles have. But they are never used like that in the show. (Though at some scenes it's probably very much playing with it without every saying it.)

About the dub btw - I rather discourage from it. The show lives and falls with the voice actors (as it's not really all that visually engaging for the most part) and Koro's FukuJun voice is pretty hard to beat. At least I didn't last more than 5 minutes in the English dub.

Would $42 be worth it for the blu-rays? Both seasons.
It's 2 seasons of two cour episodes. price wise for the length that's pretty cheap. It's also decidedly cheaper than what I paid for the half sets, lol.
Btw. Everything aside those two seasons is pretty dismissabl. The movie is just a recap with some new scenes and those new scenes aren't saying much new that's not kinda obvious from the end of S2. Koro quest is a RPG parody on what could be considered a parody of real life already. It found it entirely forgettable. (But then, I'm also no gamer.)

farzam1999

Straw Hat Pirate
Well, going by premise I'm not really the target audience, so it was actually a neat surprise that it managed so many down to earth-relatable level topics within this absurd premise. Also gotta give it to the manga author for having the galls to have a protagonist with a literal smiley face head whilst making it work at the same time. (Think about what a genius move that is to reduce the deadly workload of drawing the weekly chapters!) The covers of the manga are equally just Koro's Smiley faces, but as the volumes go on it's also an example of how even smileys can have quite a variety. (And then comes the last volume that breaks the combo, whilst still having a smiley facing, by utilizing the moon.)

If you are mean, this is the child-friendly version of GTO as it can hide everything questionable behind a gag. It never really gets really perverted (beyond recurring gags), nor is sexuality really ever a thing. (Beyond miss Bitch-sensei who is equally played for a gag in almost all cases.) That is, if you ignore what questionable reputation tentacles have. But they are never used like that in the show. (Though at some scenes it's probably very much playing with it without every saying it.)

About the dub btw - I rather discourage from it. The show lives and falls with the voice actors (as it's not really all that visually engaging for the most part) and Koro's FukuJun voice is pretty hard to beat. At least I didn't last more than 5 minutes in the English dub.

It's 2 seasons of two cour episodes. price wise for the length that's pretty cheap. It's also decidedly cheaper than what I paid for the half sets, lol.
Btw. Everything aside those two seasons is pretty dismissabl. The movie is just a recap with some new scenes and those new scenes aren't saying much new that's not kinda obvious from the end of S2. Koro quest is a RPG parody on what could be considered a parody of real life already. It found it entirely forgettable. (But then, I'm also no gamer.)
The premise seems intriguing, and I like shows that are similar to it. I might go for them then, I know what I said about not buying so much anymore, but that price really can't be beaten.

The $42 is for the half season sets. It's after I sell the DVDs, which I intended to do anyways.

I thought the movie was a sequel, damn, gotta read a bit more up on it then.

Luna

Stand User
I thought the movie was a sequel, damn, gotta read a bit more up on it then.
The frame story of the movie is indeed a sequel. But that's like... 5-7 minutes or something? of it. It's pretty much just two of the character who return a year later after their school time ended to reminicence over their life there.

Luna

Stand User
Somebody is asking if they could use their Germany blu ray player (which presumably should be B) to play my US Strawberry Panic DVD release.

I play my stuff on PC, the thing is just a bunch of Vob files and the like and I was able to play the disc with no region hacks.

Does that mean this blu ray player the person has should be able to play it with no problems either?

(I don't really have a clue about normal players and Region codes, Especially for DVDs. I've had quite some acquantainances who jumped for the DVD version a few years ago, just because their players would play the RC1 DVD with ease, but wouldn't for A BDs.)

Luna

Stand User
I do use VLC on PC... I have to set A/B codes when using it with makemkv. So that doesn't apply the same way for DVDs then?

IdiomaticLynx

Kiznaiver
Region coding is completely different between Blu-ray (A, B and C) and DVD (0 trough 8). As @Relaxo indicated VLC generally ignores the region coding for DVDs. So being able to play it back it in VLC tells you very little.

Ultimately it will depend on the actual region(s) of the DVD and if their Blu-ray player enforces DVD region codes. Some players have ways to make them region-free or switch region, but that greatly varies between devices.