The Nintendo Switch Thread

And that's £500 before adding anything like a Charging Grip, Pro Controller, case, etc.

The further out from the presentation we get, and closer to March, the more tempted I am to cancel my pre-order.

It's £500 with 7 games......and tbh I don't need any extra accessories :shrug:

Yeah it's a lot of money, but it's a new console, new tech, and more importantly to me, new Nintendo games.

Personally, I've just gone for the console, BOTW and Bomberman for now. I'll probably get I Am Setsuna and Snipperclips close to launch too, but they're digital, so I'll have to see how they're priced.

I'm going all out at launch (probably stupidly as If I wait long enough I can get a lot of this for much cheaper) because I want this to do well out of the gate:

£320 - Switch and Zelda: Breath of The Wild (GAME UK)
£45 - Skylanders (£10 off with BIGTHANKS)
£38 - Super Bomberman R
£32(£37) - Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (plus £5 shipping)
£30 - I am Setsuna (guessing at the price, but it should be this digitally at most)

(if available at launch - guessing prices based on previous games prices)

£15 - Fast Racing RMX
£15 - Shovel Knight

£500

Beyond that I am very interested in the following just during Spring, and have budgeted accordingly so that If I want them all, I can buy them all....

Mario Kart 8
Arms
Disgaea 5
Lego City Undercover
Redout
Puyo Pop and Tetros
Sonic Mania
Rime

Some good choices there. I've gone for Switch and Zelda at launch and may get snipperclips if the price is right (it's digital only). Interested in SuperBomberman R but with Horizon, Nier:automata, KH 1.5 and 2.5, Andromeda and Persona 5 out within the month, I may wait a little.

Mario Kart 8 is a must-buy but Arms only seems to be worth it if you have a friend with an additional two joy-cons? Seems very much targeted to local multiplayer at the minute. I was interested in Yooka Laylee for the switch, but a delay and being digital-only has put me off a little.

With Arms, i'll likely pick it up as long as there is a decent single player component, anything less than decent and i'll avoid it, same with Splatoon 2.

I can only get so much because i've lost interest in my PS4 for gaming as well as buying anime. I'm saving for my mortgage atm, around £500 a month, but allow myself £100-£150 a month to spend on entertainment (films, games anime) and even though I want things like Nier, Yakuza, Horizon, Mass Effect....i really cant be arsed right now. I havent played my PS4 since early november :/ Any money I havent spent in the last few months has gone in to the Switch fund.

Y-L I might be interested in getting on PC, but depending on how long a delay it gets, I might just wait for the switch version

Personally, I'm thinking:
Switch console: £280 (-£140 from Mum, as a late birthday present)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: £80 (undecided on if I want to keep with the LE though)
Super Bomberman R: £36
Zelda Bokoblin amiibo: £12
Carry case: £20 max
Total: £288

I currently have speculative pre-orders for the other BOTW amiibo (so, +£60), but I'm waiting to see what my financial situation is like before I keep them. I'm not bothering with the Charging Grip or Pro Controller until I'm convinced that I actually need them; @Teapot said the regular grip feels just fine to use as a controller. I really want ARMS and so does Luke, so we'll just use the additional Joy-Cons from his Switch to play multiplayer too.

Just getting the Neon Switch and BOTW, can't wait. The wait for Splatoon 2 is going to kill me, nothing comes close to that for me. All the cases look like garbage as per usual. We made this slick device, now carry a chunky suitcase with you, no thanks.

I'm still unsure if I'll pick one up as I was thoroughly unimpressed by the whole thing, but if I do I'll just be grabbing the console and a copy of Zelda as everything else looks kinda garbage tbh. I wish I hadn't just bought a 3DS recently as it would make my decision much easier (and the extra £250 would have nearly pay for it) but I did so meh, perhaps I'll sell it, my wii u and my xbox one and buy a switch as they're just dust collectors anyway lol.

On the other hand I already have a Wii U, I guess I could just get Zelda on that, also the leaps in Wii U emulation right now it probably wouldn't take too long before I could just play the Wii U version on my PC, no doubt look and run better than the Switch version too.....

Urgh, why do I have such a love/hate relationship with Nintendo (great software, awful hardware) lol.

Last edited:
The Switch hardware is awesome tho, the one thing that everyone has unanimously praised, especially those that have held one in person.

SSqe8aD.jpg

So beautiful.

Personally, I'm thinking:
Switch console: £280 (-£140 from Mum, as a late birthday present)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: £80 (undecided on if I want to keep with the LE though)
Super Bomberman R: £36
Zelda Bokoblin amiibo: £12
Carry case: £20 max
Total: £288

I currently have speculative pre-orders for the other BOTW amiibo (so, +£60), but I'm waiting to see what my financial situation is like before I keep them. I'm not bothering with the Charging Grip or Pro Controller until I'm convinced that I actually need them; @Teapot said the regular grip feels just fine to use as a controller. I really want ARMS and so does Luke, so we'll just use the additional Joy-Cons from his Switch to play multiplayer too.

If you are looking for a case, I got this one and it looks good to me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Armor-...F8&qid=1486228133&sr=1-5&keywords=switch+case. It might be a bit bulky, but it has space for everything you might need :)

If you are looking for a case, I got this one and it looks good to me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Armor-...F8&qid=1486228133&sr=1-5&keywords=switch+case. It might be a bit bulky, but it has space for everything you might need :)
That does look really cool; especially as it has room for the Joy-Con grip. Although I might prefer something wide enough to contain the Switch in portable mode as a single unit, as I'll likely be needing a case when out and about, where portable mode makes the most sense (I wouldn't trust the kickstand on a moving train). Obviously, I could just take the unit out and pop the Joy-Cons on, but that might be a bit too much faffing around for easy access.

Although that's definitely the best value for money I've seen so far. I'll be interested in knowing how deep it is, considering the size of my bags.

Slide on and off controllers looks to be asking for trouble to me.

I kinda wonder just how damage resistant they are. I give it maybe 30 minutes after launch, until somebody's already broken theirs.

Everyone who's had extensive hands on time with it have stated that the whole thing feels sturdy with no give, flex or wobble from the joycons when attached, of course using them on a daily basis is different, I nevertheless have no worries with stuff like that. I'm sure people snapped their DS' and 3DS' on the first day too, and the first day of the all glass iPhone's were full of people smashing theirs, and who can forget bendgate, people will find ways to break things but I don't feel like this is going to be a weak point in the systems contrcution. The Switch from a construction standpoint seems to be very well thought out, the Joycons attach via a rail and it seems to be a very elegant solution, you'll have to be trying real hard to break it. Close up of the Rain System:

2623OAn.jpg

6tLzMeS.jpg

Everyone who's had extensive hands on time with it have stated that the whole thing feels sturdy with no give, flex or wobble from the joycons when attached, of course using them on a daily basis is different, I nevertheless have no worries with stuff like that. I'm sure people snapped their DS' and 3DS' on the first day too, and the first day of the all glass iPhone's were full of people smashing theirs, and who can forget bendgate, people will find ways to break things but I don't feel like this is going to be a weak point in the systems contrcution. The Switch from a construction standpoint seems to be very well thought out, the Joycons attach via a rail and it seems to be a very elegant solution, you'll have to be trying real hard to break it. Close up of the Rain System:

How do they send data to the console? Even if the rail system doesn't break, if the data isn't transferred wirelessly that could be a problem

Gonna cancel my pre-order and wait until there's a few more games I want to pay. I decided to take the money and buy a Wii U instead from Ebay and its coming with a pro control and about 10 games I want to play and catch-up up on. Unless I hear its absolutely terrible, I'll probably end up getting Breath of the Wild on it as well.

I'm cancelling my pre-order too.

The planned software is totally underwhelming to me, apart from BOTW and the Mario game.

I'd rather just get BOTW on the Wii U and save some money, rather than have a Switch sitting under the TV collecting dust.

Well, at the moment its still cheaper, so I'll probably get the Wii U version now. Maybe it'll be like the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess which is probably still worth at least the £40 I paid for it on launch :)

And yeah, got my Wii U today. Only played Smash and Pokken so far, and they look great, so even if I do go with the Wii U version of BotW, I'm sure I'll still be happy with how it looks. I know there's a huge difference between fighters and open-world adventure games, but I'm sure it'll still look pretty good.

Back