The Nintendo Switch Thread

Luckily, I pre-ordered my console in-store at GAME on Wednesday - midnight launch w00p! I'll probably buy my games elsewhere though, because online retailers will no doubt be cheaper.

My biggest success of the night, was easily the removal of region-locking. It's been something I've been very involved with for a while! I just wonder how it will be implemented like the PS4 or Vita; although the Parental Control video mentioned multiple accounts so...hopefully like PS4, with digital store access? If not , Game Card-only is still better than locking!

I know that there's been a lot of concern about the launch day line-up, but when you think of Year One as a whole, this is amazing from Nintendo:
Launch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch
March: Snipperclips
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Spring: Arms
Summer: Splatoon 2
Winter: Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors*, Xenoblade Chronicles 2*
That's Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade in just the first year!
* = Mentioned in Nintendo of America's trailer descriptions. Could be later here.

For launch, I'll likely be picking up Zelda and Super Bomberman R - the latter if the price is right; because current listings for £60 are a bit...much. Down the line, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are must-buys from me. Will see how I feel about Arms after trying it out and what the price is like for Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers.

The pricing of the console fits into my original estimate of £250-300; albeit slightly on the higher-end. I'm personally fine with that, but we'll see how the mass market responds. I think the cost of accessories is ridiculous though; I mean, £60 for the Pro Controller? £25 for a simple spare USB-C charger? I much prefer the look of HORI's Wired Controller anyway - which is half the price. I'll judge on whether I need either after trying the Joy-Con grip though; might as well shave additional costs as much as I can. Joy-Cons being £39.99 separately or £69.99 as a bundle is high, but the tech inside does sound impressive, so I'll give them a pass. I think the only accessory I'll need is a travelling case; because I'm worried about damaging the screen in transit.

C2B4H3sVQAQbQXj.jpg
I...I might want the coloured ones now.

I was hoping this would be my first early purchase nintendo console but the price is just too high.

Nintendo need to be quick to react to the current reactions and bring out a cheaper, android box type unit, without the tablet, for pure home usage (though it should be easy enough to take to a friend's house too.)

Mirosoft made this same mistake insisting on the Kinect 2 being bundled with Xbone.

The tablet is where all the tech is. The dock is just an hdmi pass through from what I can see with some input and output ports

What ur asking for is for them to fesign a whole different unit. Just wait for It to go down in price. It wont kill you

The tablet is where all the tech is. The dock is just an hdmi pass through from what I can see with some input and output ports

What ur asking for is for them to fesign a whole different unit. Just wait for It to go down in price. It wont kill you

Not really. The touchscreen doesn't feature at all when docked so all they'd need to do is transfer the board to a screenless casing. Heck with the design of the dock they can even just sandwich it in between and encase the lot. Yes they could redesign the board, reduce the form factor etc but at the end of the day it's not really necessary, it's still going to be small compared to other home consoles.

24 hours later and i'm back on the hype train after it wobbled on the tracks a bit :D

Impressions of the hardware and controllers seem great, chances of me having to actually buy a pro controller for TV play have dropped significantly as most have said that the joycons in their grip feels great in your hands.

Watched some footage of Zelda running on the handheld screen and it looks fantastic, chances are I will be playing it in this mode when I get it.

Plenty of negatives are still there being the cost of accessories being offensive (£75 for two more joycons, £65 for the pro controller, £28 for a second charger!), initial line up is lacking -if they can put solid single player components in Splatoon 2 and ARMS then i'll be buying both of those and I will also likely buy LEGO City for it as well as I never got round to playing it on the Wii U - and questions remain over the online service.

If Nintendo can get Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey out this year and Xenoblade 2 before the end of March 2018, supplement it with Wii U ports (Mario Kart confirmed, Smash and others rumoured) and show us a couple of new games at E3 for release ASAP (Pokemon stars, Retros project, Pikmin 4 - which has been talked about for so long now that it must be finished soon) then the year 1 for the machine may well have a fantastic line up of Nintendo titles.

Confirmed Third Party games are clearly still lacking but hopefully we hear more between now and E3 and beyond.

I do hope Nintendo succeed this time. The switch is a great idea on paper but I think, after the Wii U, they should have played it safe and given up on any gimmicks or advancements and just played it safe with a good solid successor to the Gamecube. Sega kept pouring money into trying to revolutionize and advance the industry and that was a large part of their downfall.

I grew up as a Sega kid so I've never been big on Nintendo's licenses but it's nice to see one of the old guard still consistently capturing & churning out that magic of the 8bit-16bit generations in their first party games. There's just not enough games that capture that bright, vibrant escapism today that also manage to be a lot of fun.

24 hours later and I'm still pretty down on the thing, as are most of my friends (even the Nintendo fanboy ones, which actually surprised me as they're usually pretty loyal/annoying....) but the more I see Zelda the more I think "yeah, I'm gonna need one of these things day one.....".

Impressions of the hardware and controllers seem great, chances of me having to actually buy a pro controller for TV play have dropped significantly as most have said that the joycons in their grip feels great in your hands.
That's good to hear, I was pretty worried when I saw the size of the controller as it certainly doesn't look comfortable and having to buy another controller is annoying as %$^£ (had to do it for the Wii U as the Gamepad is a monstrosity....), so here's hoping it's decent to hold.

Personally I think they could have done with delaying it a bit in order to have more titles available at launch, and I agree that the cost of the accessories is somewhat ridiculous although I'm personally not to bothered about this.

It's good to hear that the first impressions of how comfortable the joycon (in the grip especially) are to use are good, I was somewhat worried when I first saw them due to how tiny they look and the fact that the grip doesn't look entirely comfortable to hold for extended periods of time when compared to a normal controller.

I've ended up pre-ordering one anyway as I really want to play Zelda at launch and I don't want to buy the Wii U version just to end up getting a Switch a few months down the line for Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

I'm never bought a Nintendo in my life and was always a hardcore Sega supporter growing up. I'm actually interested in the Switch for my family but the price is ridiculous.

Nintendo has seriously messed up here they should have sold it as cheap as possible to get as large a user base as possible this in turn would encourage more third party development.

I see Nintendo making similar mistakes Sega made all those years ago. They have great hardware and IP's but they are pricing themselves too high for the mass market. Do they seriously expect families to pay those prices for games, accessories and some stupid play online subscription?

They are competing against more powerful consoles with huge catalogues that are now cheaper as well. I'm sure there will be people on here who will be all over this day one. This won't make the console a success. They need to appeal to people like me who don't regularly buy Nintendo products. It should have retailed with Switch 1-2 for around £250 that would have been reasonable. They should also have released it nearer xmas so they could get a larger range of games at launch.

I honestly think this could be Nintendo's last ever console. The console already faces an uphill battle and Nintendo only have themselves to blame for this.

Fire Emblem Direct just aired

1: Fire Emblem Warriors "confirmed" for Autumn 2017 (Switch/New 3DS), visuals look decent enough, this will be a must buy for me.

2. Next Fire Emblem announced for Nintendo Switch in 2018 - No other details

Amazingly they also announced a new Fire Emblem for the 3DS coming in May, beggars belief that it's not on Switch also!!

Fire Emblem Mobile should make them a ton of money in Japan at least (gatcha style gameplay)

Hmm. I wasn't a huge fan of Fates, and despite getting the LE with 3 routes, I couldn't bring myself to finish even one. However, I'll see how I feel when the new one lands. Never played a Warriors game, so I might pick that up.

Fire Emblem Warriors looks good but hardly a system seller for me, I mean it's just a warriors game and they seem to be a dime a dozen now days, not that there's anything wrong with that as I love Warriors games.....Still, we'll likely get Tharja in a Warriors game.......yeeeeeeeeeeah.

Fire Emblem Warriors does nothing for me. Outgrew Dynasty Warriors way back in the PS2 era. Such a total lack of innovation. If they have local/online co-op then I'm sure it can be fun for a little bit. Would have been amazing if they could have gotten a proper Fire Emblem entry on the Switch...

Still, we'll likely get Tharja in a Warriors game.......yeeeeeeeeeeah.

Did I mention how excited I am for Fire Emblem Warriors?

I'm actually happy that Fire Warriors is coming out for New 3DS too, I will double dip when I actually get a Switch but I'm glad I will get to play it before. Heres hoping Lyn makes it in.

I jumped on the hype train yesterday and placed a pre-order for the neon switch. I was wondering what games people were looking to buy on launch and beyond?

I jumped on the hype train yesterday and placed a pre-order for the neon switch. I was wondering what games people were looking to buy on launch and beyond?

I'm going all out at launch (probably stupidly as If I wait long enough I can get a lot of this for much cheaper) because I want this to do well out of the gate:

£320 - Switch and Zelda: Breath of The Wild (GAME UK)
£45 - Skylanders (£10 off with BIGTHANKS)
£38 - Super Bomberman R
£32(£37) - Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (plus £5 shipping)
£30 - I am Setsuna (guessing at the price, but it should be this digitally at most)

(if available at launch - guessing prices based on previous games prices)

£15 - Fast Racing RMX
£15 - Shovel Knight

£500

Beyond that I am very interested in the following just during Spring, and have budgeted accordingly so that If I want them all, I can buy them all....

Mario Kart 8
Arms
Disgaea 5
Lego City Undercover
Redout
Puyo Pop and Tetros
Sonic Mania
Rime

Last edited:
And that's £500 before adding anything like a Charging Grip, Pro Controller, case, etc.

The further out from the presentation we get, and closer to March, the more tempted I am to cancel my pre-order.

Back