The Nintendo Switch Thread

Out of interest, is Xenoblade 2 a story sequel or is it a stand alone deal like Tales or Final Fantasy? I didn't have a Wii (Well, the family did, but it was hooked up to the TV downstairs, so I couldn't really play long JRPGs on it) or a Wii U so I haven't played the first game or X, even though they interest me.

Out of interest, is Xenoblade 2 a story sequel or is it a stand alone deal like Tales or Final Fantasy? I didn't have a Wii (Well, the family did, but it was hooked up to the TV downstairs, so I couldn't really play long JRPGs on it) or a Wii U so I haven't played the first game or X, even though they interest me.

It's a sequel to the original Xenoblade from the Wii, but it looks like the cast of characters for this one might be different (assuming everyone hasn't had a massive makeover). Xenoblade X is like a standalone title/spiritual successor.

In regards to pay as you play online, im no a fan of it on any platform. Maybe there was a chance to take the advantage and provide a free online service something which Sony & Microsoft don't offer? Seems they are just copying their rivals

Do people really expect to pay full RRP on games and accessories come launch? In terms of games post launch, I'll look forward to E3.

I've never payed the RRP for a single Nintendo game in the last decade outside limited editions even when pre ordering.

In other news Amazon have sold out of their allotment for now, I expect many to cancel and more to come in stock soon.

Additional docks (families with one switch and multiple tvs might want to be able to switch rooms easily) are $90. There's no new or special technology in this. Just madness!!

Uk launch titles and beyond

Twitter

C2D-v0TXgAAEI8G.jpg

5 launch day titles. It'd be funny if it wasn't so depressing :/

Edit -seemingly incomplete as it's missing at least rayman from launch day.

The Nintendo Switch looks cool, I'm glad that the software will be region free. I won't be getting a Nintendo Switch immediately, but I'm happy with the titles announced like FE Warriors and Splatoon 2.

Hopefully we find out more about FE Warriors at the Fire Emblem direct on the 18th

Finally sat down to think on it for a bit, but i'm off the impression that the Switch will do well. I was really impressed with the presentation even if they didn't show what was on launch at the time. The trailers for Mario and Zelda where stunning, the Zelda one especially since i don't think i've ever seen a trailer put together by Nintendo to be as powerful as that is at all. In terms of the hardware, i'm looking forward to getting my hands on it in the next couple of months, a shame they didn't do a tester in Edinburgh otherwise i'd have been there today without any hesitation.

In terms of price point and launch, the price is about £30 more than i expected, but i think the falling pound and everything helped that(plus good old VAT). Controller for £64 though? god damn, i want it but that price tag. I'm a little taken back by the lack of titles at launch, but super bomberman and Zelda are good to start, with myself most likely to be picking up a game or two every month as it continues on. I really like ARMS, it's really well executed and seems to be a ton of fun. Mario in April is a good way to spread out the releases, and with Puyo Puyo tetris, Disgaea and RIME on the way too, i'm pretty sure i'm sorted for the Switch in the long term. Sure i could get some on the PS4, but i feel i'd be more inclined to play on the Switch, not just for the big screen, but for the portability. It adds an extra option for us who prefer to game on the way to work and so on honestly. Sure the battery life is a little shakey, but it's enough for me travelling to and fro and then to get it back onto the tv to play some more. It works, i'm content.

On other titles:

Fire Emblem Warriors - I knew something was coming from Koei Tecmo, this just seemed to fit. Just a teaser as expected, but hopefully more of what made Hyrule Warriors so good would be nice.
Super Mario Odyssey - So glad they brought back Mario Sandbox. It looks gorgeous, and that Dapper Bowser was something else. I feel we where overdue this kind of game, so to see it back is the best thing.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Well damn, now i need to finish the first one. I think it looks gorgeous too, I'm really curious now how the first one ends and it ties into this. The character design feels like it's a mash-up between the first and second. All in all though, i like the throwback on the plains too. I hope they music is just as strong as the original game too.
Splatoon 2 - what is there to say, but i'm a Squid, I'm a Kid. Give me dat game and give me my squiddy fix.

Only downsides, if you count them as such, no Smash and Mario Kart wasn't shown during the actual presentation, but it's good to see the Inklings become staple Ninty characters. No Earthbound 3 and such, but that's all fine.

All in all i'd give the presentation an A - sure the line-up isn't great, but tell me which console in the last generation or so has actually had a superb Launch line-up, excluding more ports?

All in all i'd give the presentation an A - sure the line-up isn't great, but tell me which console in the last generation or so has actually had a superb Launch line-up, excluding more ports?

Excluding ports isn't fair imo if we're counting things like Mario Kart, Zelda etc

List of video game console launch games - Wikipedia

Just look at the last 3 consoles to launch and the breadth of variety of the titles each had. Yes, none may have been as good as Zelda may potentially be, but there's literally every genre in there and enough to satisfy all kinds of gamers. I find it really hard to see any positives outside of Zelda in the current switch line up for the first 3-4 months, let alone what we believe to be launch day (5 titles at least) the droughts are already apparent. Splatoon 2 is "summer" that could be as late as August.

I'm pinning my hopes on to Arms tbh, hope there's a lot of content in there, and depth. Could be a blast.

Last edited:
Back