The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

• Best Supporting Character - Anya Forger, SPY x FAMILY
  • Best Fantasy - Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc
Clear signs that the judges watch a very limited number of anime and don't know much at all about the categories.
Anya is a main character and not a supporting character.
Demon Slayer isn't a fantasy anime, that should have gone to either Mushoku Tensei or Made in Abyss.

Ugh, yeah, the only shows I even watched out of that list of winners was Lycoris Recoil and Spy Family, and I thought Spy Family was kind of meh, it got a bit tedious a few times through the series. Lycoris Recoil was awesome, though.

I forgot to vote. Good to see my Anime of the Year winning that category. Probably wouldn't have if they had included Autumn as the overhyped crap that was Chainsaw Man would have won plenty, making it even more of a shounen fest. It normally is though, so not surprising.
Chikichiki Banban not winning Best SEQUENCE is shocking. Rumbling is a good tune, but the SEQUENCE was a bit bland IIRC. Nobody ever seems to recognise it called Best SEQUENCE, so you have to take into account the visuals!
Over on r/anime Bocchi the Rock actually got AotY from the public, not too sad about that as it was my second favourite, and Encouragement of Climb s4, somehow, got the judges vote. I mean I like the series, but s4 had a third of its run time taken up by recap!

Frieren details and PV: airing in Autumn, studio is Madhouse, director is Keiichiro Sato (Bocchi). looking good!

That's great news, although I was kinda expecting Frieren to have a higher pitched voice. I guess I'll get used to the more deeper tones. Can definitely tell they're putting effort into this one with the visuals and the music in the preview. If it turns out well made it could be contender for AOTY.

Frieren details and PV: airing in Autumn, studio is Madhouse, director is Keiichiro Sato (Bocchi). looking good!

Also worth noting is animation producer Yuichiro Fukushi and writer Tomohiro Suzuki. Including director Keiichiro Saito, all three are frequently collaborators of Shingo Natsume who people may know as the director of One Punch Man, Boogiepop and Others, ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. and Sonny Boy.

In addition to Violet Evergarden composer Evan Call and takt op. Destiny character designer Reiko Nagasawa the show has a really solid team behind it. Definitely one to watch this year.

This hurts. Takahiro Kimura has passed away. He's one of my favourite character designers in anime and it sucks that there won't be any more of his works in the future.

For context he's more known as the character designer for Code Geass, but he's also worked a number of other (overlooked) shows including The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar & its spin-off Betterman, Dirty Pair Flash, Gun x Sword, GODANNAR!! and the cult classic video game Variable Geo (which also has an OVA, but more importantly this game is available to download on the Japanese PlayStation 3 store if you're interested).

Frieren definitely looks like something I will get into - I know nothing about this, but I get a bit of a Lord of the Rings vibe seeing the dwarf in their group. Awesome to have Evan Call doing the music for this. :)

Even before Frieren airs in the Fall Season this year, Evan Call is doing the music for the "My Happy Marriage" anime airing this summer season, which also looks like it will be really good...

My Happy Marriage - Wikipedia

Udon is releasing a 488-page artbook of Gurren Lagann in June.

this feels like a surprisingly high budget PV for the anime about the girl who forgets her glasses?!?

Visuals aren't a good indicator of budget. It just shows they have a more talented team behind it. The anime industry is infamous for low pay regardless of talent.

This series in particular looks much better than GoHands' usual output. This is the same studio behind Hand Shakers. The compositing actually makes it look normal for once.

this feels like a surprisingly high budget PV for the anime about the girl who forgets her glasses?!?

Oh! I could go for for a good Meganekko anime right about now. I always was a big fan of glasses girls in anime, so smart and sexy! 🥰

Now if only her glasses would be red instead of brown. I have a fetish for red-glasses girls, Like Mari in Evangelion or Mirai in Beyond the boundary... 😍

1450423273-0763e722bd71cbfef47ae1c53aef455c.jpeg
1450422628-27d53a89e619044540102a69c775c8c7.jpeg

Last edited:

Late-ass response but I only just saw the trailer up on YouTube. I am SO happy for this. The Frieren manga is hands down the best fantasy series I have ever read, this adaptation is so hugely deserved. October is so far away god damn it,

Back