The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

The BFI have announced details of its revised Japan 2020 season

Of particular note:

• A major season on BFI Player, divided into thematic collections and released between May and October: Akira Kurosawa (11 May), Classics (11 May), Yasujiro Ozu (5 June), Cult (3 July), Anime (31 July), Independence (21 August), 21st Century (18 September) and J-Horror (30 October). All the collections will be available to BFI Player subscribers (£4.99 a month), with a 14 day free trial available to new customers.
  • Sight & Sound will celebrate anime this summer with a special issue out at the end of May.
  • A season dedicated to classic Japanese cinema will take place at BFI Southbank once the venue is able to reopen, featuring screenings of work from Kurosawa, Mizoguchi, Ozu and more, with special events, guests, and family screenings of Studio Ghibli classics. Additional seasons will follow in 2021 celebrating Anime and 21st Century filmmakers, with the latter co-presented by the Japan Foundation.
  • For audiences across the UK, the BFI has curated the BFI JAPAN TOUR, featuring classics from Yasujiro Ozu, Akira Kurosawa and more, so that regional cinemas can support BFI Japan. The BFI will also work closely with the BFI Film Audience Network (BFI FAN) to help venues book titles and host special events once they are able to consider reopening to the public.

Coming to Funimation on May 5
  • Toradora!
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Love Live! School Idol Project (2nd Season)
  • Love Live! The School Idol Project Movie
  • Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea

Coming soon to Funimation

• Arakawa Under the Bridge (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • bunny drop
  • Chronicles of the Going Home Club
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys
  • The Eccentric Family
  • Genshiken Second Generation
  • Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up
  • Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
  • Hanasaku Iroha ~ Blossoms for Tomorrow ~
  • Hanasaku Iroha ~ HOME SWEET HOME ~ (Movie)
  • If Her Flag Breaks
  • kimi ni todoke -From Me to You- (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • PandoraHearts
  • YURUYURI (Seasons 1 & 2)

Fantastic news!
As much as Funimation has got, barring the last few seasons, there's not a massive amount I'm interested in, so this is great news!
I'm REALLY hoping that we get all of this here in the UK, is there any reason to believe we wouldn't get any of those shows?

No Love Live season 1. It disappeared from Crunchyroll a while back, but S2, Toradora and A Lull in the Sea are still there. Not sure if they'll disappear from there now or is a separate deal.

Fantastic news!
As much as Funimation has got, barring the last few seasons, there's not a massive amount I'm interested in, so this is great news!
I'm REALLY hoping that we get all of this here in the UK, is there any reason to believe we wouldn't get any of those shows?
I believe we will get most of them if we're lucky. I expect Cardcaptor Sakura will be US/CA only since Anime Limited have the UK/IE rights (and shoved the Animax dub version on All4, which I understand but it would be better if the whole series was made available in its original language on other platforms).

AT&T’s WarnerMedia has had discussions about selling Crunchyroll, a streaming service that specializes in Japanese anime, according to people familiar with the matter.

Possible buyers include Sony, which owns a rival anime service called Funimation and which has had discussions with WarnerMedia in recent months. There are no active negotiations at the moment, however, according to people familiar with the situation. It is possible the Covid-19 pandemic has slowed WarnerMedia’s sale efforts.

From that list (and following the link), it looks like only a few of the shows are coming to the UK.

Bolded titles are listed in the blog post:

Available Today
  • Toradora!
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Love Live! School Idol Project (2nd Season)
  • Love Live! The School Idol Project Movie
  • Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea

Coming Soon
  • Arakawa Under the Bridge (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • bunny drop
  • Chronicles of the Going Home Club
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys
  • The Eccentric Family
  • Genshiken Second Generation
  • Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up
  • Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
  • Hanasaku Iroha ~ Blossoms for Tomorrow ~
  • Hanasaku Iroha ~ HOME SWEET HOME ~ (Movie)
  • If Her Flag Breaks
  • kimi ni todoke -From Me to You- (Seasons 1 & 2)
  • PandoraHearts
  • YURUYURI (Seasons 1 & 2)

If that is indeed all that are coming, I'm very disappointed.
A Lull in the Sea, bunny drop, Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl, Hanasaku Iroha and kimi ni todoke -From Me to You- are all on my watchlist. :(

I believe we will get most of them if we're lucky. I expect Cardcaptor Sakura will be US/CA only since Anime Limited have the UK/IE rights (and shoved the Animax dub version on All4, which I understand but it would be better if the whole series was made available in its original language on other platforms).
Something tells me that, if their streams aren't dub only, Funimation will be using NISA's subtitle translation with the horrendous localisation, something which Anime Limited should hopefully be able to fix for their upcoming BD release.

Back