The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Just Passing Through said:
with the first set also having the limited edition in the form of the hard chipboard box
YES. YES. YES! *hugs*

EDIT:
Free gift with purchase if you order them both at Right Stuf!

How much would customs screw over me for that? (Translates to just roughly over £60).

I had to spend ALL DAY looking after my sick brother....this made up for it.

Joshawott said:
Just Passing Through said:
with the first set also having the limited edition in the form of the hard chipboard box
YES. YES. YES! *hugs*

EDIT:
Free gift with purchase if you order them both at Right Stuf!

How much would customs screw over me for that? (Translates to just roughly over £60).

I had to spend ALL DAY looking after my sick brother....this made up for it.

Oh dear Lord....this is too much excitement for me in one day

I think it is KazeUK that are releasing Un-Go ...it rings a bell.

Anyone know anything about MangaUK's release of "King Of Thorn" ..seems like its been forever since it was announced. :/

Shiroi Hane said:
Kaze certainly streamed Un-Go, I can't specifically remember if they announced a physical license.

Ah, here we go: http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... ease-un-go
Licensed by Kaze, distributed by Manga.

King of Thorn is "next year". Actually, I'm guessing you already know that as I think it was you who asked.

Yes, i thought I'd ask him too, just in case he'd reply, but also post here as you guys i know for sure would respond :)

Joshawott said:
20% + £8 admin fee which might have gone up with all the other Royal mail price increases of last April. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Joshawott said:
20% + £8 admin fee which might have gone up with all the other Royal mail price increases of last April. :wink:
Wait...you mean there's an actual formula and it's not just monkeys randomly mashing at a random number generator? Weird.

So if I take 20% of £60, that should be £12. Then adding the £8 admin fee...about £20? That would make it just under £10 cheaper than UP1. Oh well, I get a pre-order gift.

Joshawott said:
Rui said:
Siren Visual has the Black Rock Shooter anime for Australia.

http://www.facebook.com/sirenvisual/pos ... 6521067922

Also, Un-Go has been delayed in order to add the dub, which implies the R1 is coming this autumn.

R
And hopefully KazéUK gives us Un-Go too?

And hey, I thought BRS was hard to license because it was made to sell figures...well...

I don't 100% get the hard to liscence becuase it was made to sell figures. Surely you just say you want to liscence it and then negotiate a price. Unless the production comitee has some kind of deal going on where if you liscence the Anime you must also buy X million figures to sell in that country.

Joshawott said:
Mohawk52 said:
Joshawott said:
Wait...you mean there's an actual formula and it's not just monkeys randomly mashing at a random number generator? Weird.

So if I take 20% of £60, that should be £12. Then adding the £8 admin fee...about £20? That would make it just under £10 cheaper than UP1. Oh well, I get a pre-order gift.

Hmm, I make the UP1 price for both £70.98, probably looking at £75 with P&P. That'd make it £5 cheaper than £60 rightstuf and £20 customs and handling (I checked it's still £8 )

The real lottery with customs is not how much they charge, the info is available if you can find it on HMRC/Royal Mail, but whether it'll get caught or not.

I wonder what the free gift is though, that could swing things.

Joshawott said:
Mohawk52 said:
Joshawott said:

It's simply VAT on anything imported above the threshold of I think £15.00, excuding postage from overseas source. e.g. imported DVD priced at £15.00, or under; no VAT. Imported DVD priced at £15.01, or over, VAT duty payable at 20% of full price plus £8 for standing in the post office que to pay the VAT and collect it. That's it. You'll get a notice in the post about it and where to pay and collect it.

Edit: corrected price.

The VAT threshold is now £15 rather than £18, it was lowered last year. And IIRC, should you be unlucky enough to have your parcel delivered by Parcelforce rather than RM, the "handling charge" is £11.

ayase said:
The VAT threshold is now £15 rather than £18, it was lowered last year. And IIRC, should you be unlucky enough to have your parcel delivered by Parcelforce rather than RM, the "handling charge" is £11.

Parcelforce charge £13.50 rather than £11 if they consider the delivery to be an express service, too. Even though, with their useless clearance processes, I've had standard airmail items arrive more quickly than their express packages in the past.

There's also an extra duty charge if your item is really expensive, though chances are that if it was you can probably afford the extra hit too. None of it hurts as much as the offensive handling charge does.

R

Rui said:
ayase said:

Parcelforce charge £13.50 rather than £11 if they consider the delivery to be an express service, too. Even though, with their useless clearance processes, I've had standard airmail items arrive more quickly than their express packages in the past.

There's also an extra duty charge if your item is really expensive, though chances are that if it was you can probably afford the extra hit too. None of it hurts as much as the offensive handling charge does.

R

I don't mind the VAT or duty but the ridiculous handling fee from the post/courier service is just offensive and the main reason I don't import directly much any more. The one and only time I had a big order delivered by UPS I nearly fainted as it had something like an £18 handling fee plus the VAT.

I think the the extra duty fees are about 5% on top of the VAT but only come in if the stated value is over £118 if I remember correctly. Also technically I believe the value should include the postage, which means with how much some places charge for postage if they declare the value correctly you could get caught without realising.

Be aware also that different things attract VAT and duty at different rates so it can be advantageous to get things like printed materials reported correctly as I think they are a lower rate although that could have changed.

Dracos said:
Be aware also that different things attract VAT and duty at different rates so it can be advantageous to get things like printed materials reported correctly as I think they are a lower rate although that could have changed.
Books are still zero rated for VAT, so if customs try to charge you for importing books you can tell them to sod off.

ayase said:
Dracos said:
Books are still zero rated for VAT, so if customs try to charge you for importing books you can tell them to sod off.

That is as long as they have been declared correctly. I have bought from places that sell books and DVDs and often they just put everything down as DVD. Of course then you open the package you have paid VAT on and find half is books and the post can't do anything about it.

Back