The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Heh, good luck with that. Seems like it’s be a challenge indeed!
I re-read TG recently so most of it is fresh in my mind, the thing is that the current manga chapters are even telling readers to catch up on the original TG before watching the anime

I re-read TG recently so most of it is fresh in my mind, the thing is that the current manga chapters are even telling readers to catch up on the original TG before watching the anime
That’s quite telling, fortunately I like to rewatch previous instalments before continuing onto a new season so that one won’t be an issue on my end!

That’s quite telling, fortunately I like to rewatch previous instalments before continuing onto a new season so that one won’t be an issue on my end!
Well they're referring to reading the manga, not watching TG/Root A

I haven't read it at all but I know that root a didn't really follow the plot instead following supporting cast alot of the time. Isn't the next one going to follow RE while forgetting root A existed? Seems like a good idea, would probably sell some manga to fill in the gaps root A left in the story

I haven't read it at all but I know that root a didn't really follow the plot instead following supporting cast alot of the time. Isn't the next one going to follow RE while forgetting root A existed? Seems like a good idea, would probably sell some manga to fill in the gaps root A left in the story
That's exactly what's happening from what we know, it's seems that they're just ignoring the Root A continuity which based on what happens in re is for the best, especially with certain characters.

MAL are launching a Manga Store: MAL forum post
No downloads sounds a bit backwards, but they've only just launched their own app for the site (still in public beta). So maybe they might expand that at some point to include the Manga Store.

NoitaminA announcements:
  • Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress gets a new movie (I presume this will replace the planned TV series). 2019.
  • Psycho Pass gets another new project, subtitled Sinners of the System. Three movies. January 2019.
In addition we have new titles under a brand new programming block called +Ultra:
  • Carol & Tuesday. From director Shinichiro Watanabe. April 2019.
  • Ingress. October 2018.
  • Revisions. January 2019.
Just to clarify, the NoitaminA block usually fills up 1 show per season and as you know Banana Fish is 2-cour which will cover the second half of 2018. It's unknown whether the +Ultra block will be part of Amazon's exclusive partnership with NoitaminA.

Surprised no one mentioned this, studio Madhouse will be adapting a new anime series for Boogiepop and Others (Boogiepop wa Warawanai) light novels. The series is also known as Boogiepop Phantom. The anime will be celebrating the novel's 20th anniversary.

UPDATE: Madhouse apparently animated the first anime series back in 2000. The name Boogiepop Phantom is from a later part in the series, whereas the new anime series will adapt the first novel.

Surprised no one mentioned this, studio Madhouse will be adapting a new anime series for Boogiepop and Others (Boogiepop wa Warawanai) light novels. The series is also known as Boogiepop Phantom. The anime will be celebrating the novel's 20th anniversary.

UPDATE: Madhouse apparently animated the first anime series back in 2000. The name Boogiepop Phantom is from a later part in the series, whereas the new anime series will adapt the first novel.

I was so surprised to wake up to this news this morning, I absolutely loved Boogiepop Phantom even if I was a little confused at times, I just found it really unique. After seeing the PV it's definitely my most anticipated upcoming series.

News of a new Boogiepop Phantom anime... bemuses me, frankly. Having watched the previous Madhouse animated series after folks nagged me to, I can't help but feel like there's an air of 'Emperor's New Clothes' about it. There are MASSIVE storytelling issues, loaded with heaps of stuff dolloped on top just to make it seem cleverer than it really is. And yet lots of people seem to love it.

I wish I could understand why. I feel like I'm missing something about the show.

(I do like the funky intro tune, though!)

The Rising of the Shield Hero has apparently sold over 80k physical (so not including digital sales) volumes in total in English (the press release says in the US but I imagine it covers sales in other countries too as they don't know where the books end up).

Last edited:
https://anitay.kinja.com/the-last-chapter-of-dragon-ball-super-will-be-streamed-1823685870
Don't know if anyone has already spied this but It's pretty cool that they are doing this as a sporting event. Unfortunatly I don't think they'd do this for other "sporting" events in other anime nor would they do this for the UK, other series just aren't dragon ball in terms of popularity and anime communities in the UK are only sizable as a collective, not by area, so it wouldn't really get ratings compared to how much it costs to pull off

Gunsmith Cats to get a 'reboot short', premiering at Anime Central in Chicago in May.

Gunsmith Cats Reboot Anime Short to Premiere at Anime Central

"director and producer Shuzilow.HA (Shujirou Hamakawa)"? That's not how you spell Sayo Yamamoto...
Hmm (that's a "hmm" of interest and slight trepidation, rather than a "hmm" of disinterest or doubt). Very intrigued to see how Sonoda's character designs make the leap to the 2010s. Hopefully largely faithfully, given that GSC is his own manga, so we shouldn't be seeing any BGC 2040 style changes...

Were the original GSC OVAs really the last thing he worked on as a character designer? Bloody Hell, we're definitely overdue some Sonoda goodness.

Very intrigued to see how Sonoda's character designs make the leap to the 2010s. Hopefully largely faithfully, given that GSC is his own manga, so we shouldn't be seeing any BGC 2040 style changes...

I have similar misgivings, but I'm also a bit concerned as to whether the new anime is likely to use Sonoda's style as it is now - his female characters often seem to have taller eyes and a shorter jaw than used to be the case. It's not a huge change, but I think it makes them look younger or more loli-esque, and I do not like it.

Back