The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Just learned that Film4 are to broadcast "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" on 7th August at 15.50. Also being shown on 11th August at 13.15. No mention if it is sub or dub yet.

Ian Wolf said:
Just learned that Film4 are to broadcast "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" on 7th August at 15.50. Also being shown on 11th August at 13.15. No mention if it is sub or dub yet.

Their premiere of The Wind Rises, which was also a weekend afternoon was subtitled. I'd assume Kaguya will be the same.

Not a fan of that animation and not acquainted with the work of Yasuhiro Yoshiura but man hearing the Labor VS Labor track blaring through my headphones put a smile on my face at least, the soundtrack is so good. I love shorts but didn't really keep up with the Animator Expo stuff, didn't care for it at all.

He only has two major credits to his name (Time of Eve and Patema Inverted), but I think Yoshiura is one of the most interesting anime film directors to emerge in the last decade or so. He doesn't struggle to land a third act the way Hosoda seems to and he has a lightness of touch I don't see in Shinkai.

I'm guessing his take on Patlabor will be much closer to the TV series than Oshii's films (although saying that, I don't think he's involved with the script), but I'm hugely interested to see what he'll do with it.

I'm not a fan of Hosoda or Shinkai haha. Not seen Time of Eve or Patema Inverted although I have the latter on my shelf but have zero motivation to see it. I'm a huge HUGE Patlabor fan but I'm not really interested in this thing at all but since it's only a little 10 min short I might skip through it for posterity's sake.

He's a great fit for Patlabor - I just hope it can live up to the Patlabor name, the style looks pretty glossy - which is obviously a sign of the times - but when I think of Patlabor, I always have that nostalgia-tinged greyed out 90s feel in my mind.

Professor Irony said:
He doesn't struggle to land a third act the way Hosoda seems to
These are...
and he has a lightness of touch I don't see in Shinkai.
...fighting words!

tumblr_misgs4J4gs1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

Professor Irony said:
First trailer for a new Patlabor short directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (!) as part of the Animator Expo.

http://dai.ly/x4m7xr0

Imagine if Yoshiura made a full-length Patlabor feature. I would weep openly.
I don't really expect anything to come of this but it'd be pretty amazing if we did get a new film or even a TV series. One of the things I like about Patlabor is that it can cross genres, themes and tones while still feeling like Patlabor so it'd be interesting to see if they could capture that in a new show/film.

This whole affair is just reminding me of that time when I was downstairs and saw all of the US Patlabor BDs for sale on eBay for the god damn bargain price of £80, so I ran upstairs to my PC that has me logged into eBay to buy them and they sold in that small space of time it took me to get upstairs (about 10 seconds). :( haunts my dreams from time to time.

Buzzkillington said:
This whole affair is just reminding me of that time when I was downstairs and saw all of the US Patlabor BDs for sale on eBay for the god damn bargain price of £80, so I ran upstairs to my PC that has me logged into eBay to buy them and they sold in that small space of time it took me to get upstairs (about 10 seconds). :( haunts my dreams from time to time.

Harsh. I feel your pain.

I keep saying the Patlabor movies are ripe to be picked up by Anime Ltd given Beez did those sets a while back. I'd kill to have the second movie on Blu-Ray in particular - I always say the Manga dub of that is probably one of the finest English dubs of any anime, ever - an oddity given so many of the Manga dubs of that era are poor quality.

Lutga said:
I keep saying the Patlabor movies are ripe to be picked up by Anime Ltd given Beez did those sets a while back. I'd kill to have the second movie on Blu-Ray in particular - I always say the Manga dub of that is probably one of the finest English dubs of any anime, ever - an oddity given so many of the Manga dubs of that era are poor quality.
MVM did have that attempt at releasing the OVA series, which could potentially have led to the full set being released. Apparently it wasn't too likely they'd release the TV series due to the BBFC fees, although I guess if it had performed exceptionally well then it might have been worth it. It apparently did quite badly so that may have put them off releasing the movies. I suppose it's also possible that the UK rights for the movies are still tied up.

The MVM releases would have been copies of the Maiden Japan/Sentai releases and I don't think their movie releases include the Manga dub anyway. On the plus side, those are an option to import and they have the same region locking as Sentai releases (the Movies and New Files are "geo-locked", while the other releases have the title select option).

I do wonder if an Anime Limited release could work well, I could certainly see the movies being popular with collectors. I do wonder if their Gundam releases could have an impact too, though it's hard to say if it'd help or hinder. There might be more enthusiasm for giant robots but there could also be a risk of oversaturation. Patlabor is a bit different to Gundam too, so that could go either way. MVM having released bits of the show would probably make it more difficult if Anime Limited wanted to release the TV series, though I don't think that would affect the movies too much.

Back