The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Professor Irony said:
I thought the first one was quite charming, but it didn't leave enough of an impression on me to back the kickstarter. Still, I'm glad that Trigger are tackling something less fanservicey for a change. Also nice to see something else from the Mirai Project make it to TV.

Less fan servicey for a change? Outside of Kill la Kill, they don't generally have a lot of fan service. See: Kiznaiver, InouBattle, Ninja Slayer and the mentioned LWA. I haven't seen it but Space Patrol Lulaco doesn't look like it does either...

I think I missed these disagreements most while the forum was dead.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about more LWA, even though I've resigned myself to accepting it won't be as good as the original short (though maybe that was more of a time/place thing).

The "Passing the baton" thing at the end of Luluco was an excellent way of announcing it.

Warners court Justin Lin of Fast & Furious fame to direct the live-action Akira movie, allegedly. I would hazard a guess that the intense online scrutiny of the live-action GitS has probably revived interest in the production.

Professor Irony said:
Warners court Justin Lin of Fast & Furious fame to direct the live-action Akira movie, allegedly. I would hazard a guess that the intense online scrutiny of the live-action GitS has probably revived interest in the production.

I wouldn't be fussed if he did end up directing Akira, the latest Fast & Furious film was pretty good imo.

The Fast and Furious films are enjoyable trash and I love the episodes of Community he did, so he can do variety. I don't know if he'd do Akira justice, but if you could forget about the fact it's Akira, it'd probably be an enjoyable film.

I'd love to see what Neill Blomkamp, David Fincher or Danny Boyle, but then, quite frankly, I'd like to see what they'd do with anything.

Rosencrantz said:
Some good news, just visited UP1 and they are saying no price changes.
Only on the UK site for now. The US site has seen prices rise between £2 - £5 depending on what publisher you're buying from.
Sentai standards are up to just over £42. Funi LEs are just over £57. Depending on how bad things get, I'll probably rule out buying Sentai/Funi/Viz releases (aside from some special titles like Blood Blockade and Haruhi).
Worst case scenario I just give up buying anime full stop.

Mangaranga said:
Rosencrantz said:
Only on the UK site for now. The US site has seen prices rise between £2 - £5 depending on what publisher you're buying from.
Sentai standards are up to just over £42. Funi LEs are just over £57. Depending on how bad things get, I'll probably rule out buying Sentai/Funi/Viz releases (aside from some special titles like Blood Blockade and Haruhi).

I checked Kabukimonogatari. £50 on the UK side vs ~£50 on the US side :lol: In theory the UK side will be cheaper thanks to the cheaper shipping and no bank charges.

UPDATE: For those interested the prices for AoA are just about the same if not cheaper on the UK side than the US. Fate/Stay Night and Your Lie in April are practically the only one cheaper on the US side.

NormanicGrav said:
Mangaranga said:
Rosencrantz said:

I checked Kabukimonogatari. £50 on the UK side vs ~£50 on the US side :lol: In theory the UK side will be cheaper thanks to the cheaper shipping and no bank charges.

UPDATE: For those interested the prices for AoA are just about the same if not cheaper on the UK side than the US. Fate/Stay Night and Your Lie in April are practically the only one cheaper on the US side.

Well the US site price rises are not rises, but currency fluctuations, but looking at it I do have to consider if I want to switch my orders over to the UK side. Right now paying in dollars is cheaper just about for Funimation & Sentai sets, but as you say the AoA sets don't look like a good deal in dollars. This seems to be primarily due to them not giving any increased discount on AoA stuff, Sentai & Funi stuff all has a % discount when buying from the USA side.

Also I've just noticed how much more expensive the HighSchool DxD LE is compared to the normal set, used to be ~£3 more for the chipboard box and now it's £14.50 more, unless there are some extra items in the LE not yet listed.

I email up1 yesterday before they put that up on the site because I was looking to order a certain magical index to check if the price is going to change , they told me that the prices will not change for at least 2 months . If they do they will give a warning .

Buzz201 said:
What was wrong with the Hidan No Aria light novels? (I don't think they're on the LN list yet, I need to add them, but I should add a disclaimer too if there's problems with them.)
The Kindle sample for the first volume was so bad (IIRC apart from just bad translation/writing there were lines missing and IIRC a line that was in entirely the wrong place) I was put off buying it, especially at over the going rate for light novels on Kindle (first volumes in particular).

kuuderes_shadow said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1527346

Japanese anime disc sales for first half of 2016

Not sure why Osomatsu-san DVDs aren't on the list...

edit: this has been fixed and Osomatsu-san's DVDs are now listed.

Lovely to see Aria on the list.

Back