The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

BlackStrat said:
You mean it's not like this gif?
[spoilerbutton]
RBuGftG.gif
[/spoilerbutton]

As truly brilliant as that gif is, no. :)

A press release has been sent out purportedly from a Chinese company, called Shanghai Minghuan Investment Co., Ltd., claiming to have secured the option for a live action Chinese film adaptation of One Piece. With Masataka Kubota cast as Monkey D. Luffy (he recently won a seperate online fan poll asking who should play the character) and Xie Leilei as Charlotte Purin (she is nicknamed "The Girl from One Piece" by some fans due to her resemblance to the character).

This is being treated with heavy scepticism, and rightfully so, a) because it sounds ridiculous and b) because Shanghai Minghuan Investment Co., Ltd. seems not to actually exist. I can find nothing acknowledging their existence that isn't reporting this story. c) The email on some versions of the press release comes from a Chinese equivalent of Yahoo!

I would assume this is complete nonsense, but it's interesting that Crunchyroll even covered it. The prospect of Chinese anime adaptations intrigues me, even though I shan't imagine the Chinese government would allow anything too exciting to get made.

Well in French Canal means Channel, and carries the same meaning as it does in English.
They do have a TV channel. I'm not sure that they have a studio however.

Buzz201 said:
I would assume this is complete nonsense, but it's interesting that Crunchyroll even covered it. The prospect of Chinese anime adaptations intrigues me, even though I shan't imagine the Chinese government would allow anything too exciting to get made.

Shueisha have confirmed that this is indeed, a load of the proverbial. Shame really, I also would have been interested to see what the Chinese filmmakers might have done with it.

Libre Publishing have ended their relationship with Digital Manga, Inc.. This means DMI will lose the rights to ongoing series Finder, and other popular series like Kizuna.

Also, Ken Akamatsu's UQ Holder manga will be getting an anime adaptation, and will be switching from the weekly Weekly Shōnen Magazine to the monthly Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine, following a break which starts after this Wednesday's chapter. It will return to Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine on October 9. It is published by Kodansha Comics in the West, and the full archive is available on Crunchyroll Manga.

I enjoyed it, but fell of the wheel quite some time ago, so I shall use the break to catch up. I'm looking forward to the anime, but I wonder who the animation studio would be. People are guessing SHAFT and Ufotable (perhaps jokingly), but I'd personally guess Pierrot and I wouldn't be too upset by that. I don't hate them as much as everyone else does.

Professor Irony said:
Shueisha have confirmed that this is indeed, a load of the proverbial. Shame really, I also would have been interested to see what the Chinese filmmakers might have done with it.

We all knew that was coming, but it would have been nice to see an anime adaptation with money.

I'm looking forward to seeing UQ Holder as an anime, it's a highlight of the weekly series Crunchyroll have. Sad to hear about it shifting magazines though as there'll be less UQ Holder overall now. :(

Good to see UQ Holder get an anime. The manga is mostly very good, though it hasn't quite hit the heights its predecessor did at its peak. Negima is right up there as one of the best shounen action manga I have read (until the awful ending). Always thought it was a shame that it never got the adaptation it deserved, with only the Ala Alba and Magical World OVAs doing the source material justice. Hoping for better this time.

It looks like somebody sent them an audience submission for this My Shop feature and they acted on it. It's not really their responsibility to check everything the shop sells is legal. A quick google doesn't reveal many complaints either. Neither does searching for "TokyoToys bootleg". The only reliable link I could find is a non-cached link to a thread on AUKN's main forum.

Lol at the BBC subtitling most of the video, even though it's in English. :p

There were some rather deep cuts about that place on Reddit earlier on, but no mention of their stock being bootleg. If I ever have any reason to go in, I'll look into it, but I can't even walk past it in the street without feeling faintly embarrassed.

Also "Pikachew". I'm dying.

Hentai manga site FAKKU and Toshio Maeda have teamed up to release The Legend of the Overfiend (Urotsukidoji) manga in uncut/uncensored form, and their kickstarter is now available.

The goal is to release Volume 1 and each stretch goal will cover other volumes. There are 4 in total.
  • $47,000 = Volume 1
  • $60,000 = Volume 2
  • $73,000 = Volume 3
  • $86,000 = Volume 4

FAKKU also plan to release La Blue Girl, Demon Beast Invasion, and Adventure Kid. Legend of the Overfiend's anime has seen a release here by Manga UK but received cuts as a result. La Blue Girl's anime adaptation got banned (Manga UK tried to release this one), and Adventure Kid had to be renamed Adventure Duo as well as receive some cuts.

Back