The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I'm pondering Crunchy Roll for when I eventually get the internet at mine. I'm not sure if it will suit me more so than say Netflix seeing as we all know I prefer dub.

Do they release dubbed anime on there? If so, how do you tell if it's dub please? For example I was looking on their store as they had some good looking animes however it had no description whatsoever whether it was sub only or not so I couldn't go ahead and purchase anything. Just wondering if their available animes are listed/detailed just as bad too?

To be honest, if you're specifically into dubs then Crunchyroll is terrible value since their dubs are generally acquired from US companies and they're completely locked down. For a sample of one show which is available in both formats in the UK, check Toradora http://www.crunchyroll.com/toradora

Since the main draw is simulcasting and simuldubs are quite rare, you'd be better off petitioning FUNimation or Viz to open up their borders than waiting on Crunchyroll to pick up more dubs. Or you could just do the 14 day trial and easily watch every dubbed episode without ever having to take on an ongoing subscription.

The manga is a good bonus though if you are interested in any 'simulpubs'.

R

-Danielle- said:
I'm pondering Crunchy Roll for when I eventually get the internet at mine. I'm not sure if it will suit me more so than say Netflix seeing as we all know I prefer dub.

Do they release dubbed anime on there? If so, how do you tell if it's dub please? For example I was looking on their store as they had some good looking animes however it had no description whatsoever whether it was sub only or not so I couldn't go ahead and purchase anything. Just wondering if their available animes are listed/detailed just as bad too?

If it's dubbed, it will specifically say so in the title of the series - ie. Toradora > http://www.crunchyroll.com/toradora

To be fair, it's mainly subbed on there, but if you want to be up to date with new shows, it really is the best place, and the subscription is very much worth it in my opinion. Their player is arguably the best amongst similar sites and the amount of content on there will keep you busy for years.

I'd say give it a go - it gets very addictive following series as they're airing. You can't beat that excitement of finding a new show you love and looking forward to new eps each week. Remind me of a kid and running home from school to watch Digimon/Cardcaptors.

It's definitely worth having a decent internet connection before you subscribe though.

Maybe I'll try the free trial first. Sadly even though it has SO many animes that look brilliant, I really won't be watching unless it's dubbed so during the trial if I don't find lots I may venture to find somewhere else. Toradora is on my to buy list so that would be a good watch on there if I don't get around to buying it yet :)

Cheers for the info and opinion guys :)

(My Mum lives around the corner so I go and use her internet, just in case anyone was wondering how the hell I survive :p hehehe.)

I've always just been a regular Premium member, so all they're doing is giving me extra content with no extra cost... works for me, I guess, though I signed up for the simucasts and the general back catalogue, the new stuff doesn't really interest me.

-Danielle- said:
Sadly even though it has SO many animes that look brilliant, I really won't be watching unless it's dubbed

Im in the same boat and that's why I haven't bothered with Crunchyroll. Seems for streaming dubbed anime your better off with Netflix at the moment. I tend to rent (if not buying) from Amazon Lovefilm as you can get Blu-Ray Discs = best quality picture and sound. Only down size is it has to have been released in the UK on DVD or Blu-Ray and sometimes things don't appear on there. Especially with the recnt situation at Manga.

One thing I would recommend streaming though is Irresponsible Captain Tylor and it's actually on Youtube via Manga Entertainment. You can find the link in the streaming topic for it or just type it in to Youtube, pretty sure it shows you the playlist on the search. It's fantastic and both seasons are there aswell.

Let me know if you find something your happy with streaming wise though as I'm quite interested in doing it sometime soon.

Dan said:
One thing I would recommend streaming though is Irresponsible Captain Tylor and it's actually on Youtube via Manga Entertainment. You can find the link in the streaming topic for it or just type it in to Youtube, pretty sure it shows you the playlist on the search. It's fantastic and both seasons are there aswell.

Better still, the whole shebang is available from Nozomi Entertainment in a couple of very reasonably priced DVD collections. I managed to bag these last month, and they're absolutely great. The extras (termed 'liner notes' in the menus) explain a lot of stuff about Japanese humour that makes the show that bit easier to appreciate.

I really, really dig what Nozomi are doing.

ayase said:
ADV were never really dead, they just disassembled into Sentai, Section 23 and Maiden Japan.
Good luck getting them to admit that...
(Sentai actually existed before ADV went under though)

NormanicGrav said:
I'm convinced they may still have the rights to RahXephon.
They do.

demonix said:
Actually all of ADV's remaining licenses were transferred to Aesir who have re-released some of the titles under their own name, and someone over on TFP sent an email to the old ADV email address which bounced but the bounceback came from Aesir media which means that it's likely that they own the ADV Films brand as well.
The 2013 re-release of Elfen Lied had the ADV logo on it and doesn't mention Aesir Holdings at all (it even says "Blu-ray produced by ADV Films" and "Released in North America by ADV Films" on the back).

HdE said:
Dan said:

Better still, the whole shebang is available from Nozomi Entertainment in a couple of very reasonably priced DVD collections. I managed to bag these last month, and they're absolutely great. The extras (termed 'liner notes' in the menus) explain a lot of stuff about Japanese humour that makes the show that bit easier to appreciate.

I really, really dig what Nozomi are doing.

Thanks, might have to invest. With regards to Japanese humour. I very rarely find anime funny except when there is sarcasm like Spike in Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star but in terms of out and out comedy I usually don't laugh, I tend to find it a bit daft but this I loved. I think it helped that I was casually watching it when in the bath. Started to like it and then love it.

Glad my ramblings were of some assistance, Dan.

I can't stress enough how excelent a job I think Nozomi do with their releases. I have a few queued up on my 'stuff to watch' shelf. Currently working through their Dirty Pair collections, which are superb, and I have Space Adventure Cobra and Nadesico as well.

Pretty serious, heavyweight retro licenses. Between them and Discotek, I love how they're keeping the physical release market buoyant.

HdE said:
Glad my ramblings were of some assistance, Dan.

I can't stress enough how excelent a job I think Nozomi do with their releases. I have a few queued up on my 'stuff to watch' shelf. Currently working through their Dirty Pair collections, which are superb, and I have Space Adventure Cobra and Nadesico as well.

Pretty serious, heavyweight retro licenses. Between them and Discotek, I love how they're keeping the physical release market buoyant.

Speaking of Discotek I've just received Violence Jack Uncut :Dt

Shiroi Hane said:
ayase said:
ADV were never really dead, they just disassembled into Sentai, Section 23 and Maiden Japan.
Good luck getting them to admit that...
I think lawyers already tried, didn't they?

It was perhaps a little morally grey at first (though doubtless many businesses would have done the same) but as soon as Funi bought ADV's debts off Sojitz in order to try and force a competitor out of business I was firmly rooting for Neo ADV. I''m very glad they came through it, given some of the stuff they've licensed and released since that Funi probably wouldn't have touched with a barge pole.

-Danielle- said:
Thanks Dan I'll note it down and look to watch it one day when I have more internets time at my Mums :)

No worries your welcome. Btw I was having a look on the anime network earlier and there's plenty of dubbed stuff on there for when you get the Internet sorted. Tbh though I either already had the series they had or wasn't interested with the exception of a few but you can watch some stuff as a guest. http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online

Back