The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Sad news form Japan. Yoshihiro Tatsumi has passed away, at the age of 79.

Tatsumi was a key figure in the development of manga as an art form, and the originator of the 'dramatic pictures' style that has informed so much of the stuff we see today. Truly a great loss.

I haven't read nearly enough of Tatsumi's output to consider myself anything like an authority on his work, but what I have read comprised some quite intense and bleak meditations on human nature (which I should probably clarify is a big plus in my book). I've certainly never read anything quite like his stories in other manga and I'd certainly urge others to check them out.

RIP Yoshihiro Tatsumi. 79's not a bad score though, really.

Siren Visual Planning ‘Monster’ Anime Complete Box Set
Siren Visual continues to be one of the few places where fans can pick up the anime series Monster, though it’s limited by region and format. The company has talked about doing a complete box set for awhile and now it looks like it’s getting closer to reality as they’ve abandoned one of the things that was holding it up. The intent was creating a new booklet with it but there’s been delays and issues in getting clearances from Japan on it, so they’re taking that out of the equation and setting things into motion to be able to provide the complete set – though it’ll only be available via their site.

SnowWolf said:
Siren Visual continues to be one of the few places where fans can pick up the anime series Monster, though it’s limited by region and format. The company has talked about doing a complete box set for awhile and now it looks like it’s getting closer to reality as they’ve abandoned one of the things that was holding it up. The intent was creating a new booklet with it but there’s been delays and issues in getting clearances from Japan on it, so they’re taking that out of the equation and setting things into motion to be able to provide the complete set – though it’ll only be available via their site.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! (if this happens)

PtTxw.gif

SnowWolf said:
Region B :mrgreen:

black1blade said:
SnowWolf said:
Region B :mrgreen:

Region 4... DVD remember.

SnowWolf said:

Cool. Kind of wish I hadn't imported the single volumes now. There was talk of creating an artbox to house them all in, but it looks like that hasn't come to fruition.

Just Passing Through said:
Australia's getting Madoka Magica Movie 3 in June...

DVD
Blu-ray

Darn! I don' know which to buy.

Madman's is cheaper, but each set is Blu ray or DVD only and it won't match the previous movies on my shelf.
I already bought Aniplex's release when it was released not knowing Madman would release theirs a few months later. I also like that it's Blu ray/DVD combo, but it's expensive to import from UP1.

Crunchyroll's Subscription service will be changing:
Hey guys,

A few weeks ago, we announced adding Manga premium access for all Anime members, with additional perks for Anime and All-Access members to be unveiled soon.

Today, I’m excited to announce an even better Crunchyroll experience for existing Anime and All-Access members!

Going forward, the Anime Membership will simply be called the Premium Membership, and will now have access to ALL Video and Manga content on Crunchyroll. This means all Premium Members (formerly Anime Members) will have access to the latest Anime, Manga, and now Drama simulcasts, with no ads, in HD, and discounts to the CR Store. There’s no change in the price.

The All-Access Membership will be called the Premium+ Membership going forward. The price will remain the same, and we are adding even more member benefits on top of the existing All-Access benefits. Some of the new added perks for Premium+ Members include:

• Free shipping! If you enjoy the discounts in our ecommerce store, Premium+ members will have even more reasons to keep buying. We are rolling out free shipping in the US on all eligible items. Look for the “http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spi...90359_full.jpg” icon on these items

• Faster Premium+ support. We are rolling out a new customer support system to improve response times for all members

• Premium+ members will now be able to obtain and collect special badges for their profile pages, as well as choose from exclusive icons, the first of which is our new Premium+ crown

• Exclusive contests and raffles! Each quarter, Premium+ members will be eligible for a chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip for two to Japan for one week! Our first contest will start this month, and we will be choosing a winner from Premium+ members who can best tell us in 140 characters or less, "What does Crunchyroll mean to you?" Be on the lookout for our official entry link as well as rules, coming next week!

• Even more stuff to be announced soon! For now, see below for more details.

a9e418662888e0ba32c766e54522bcf21426189932_full.png

We are continuing to make the Premium (formerly Anime Membership) and Premium+ (formerly All-Access) plans better and better, and I want to thank you for continuing to support Crunchyroll and our mission to bring the best of Anime and Japan to fans worldwide.

~ Shinji

Doesn't sound like you get *that* much more for being on the higher tier, but maybe that's just me. Seems like they're scrabbling to keep the higher monetary value tier in action - but hey, if they can add more stuff down the line it could be cool, I always thought the idea of a 'DVD club' style subscription would be cool where you got a pick of certain shows each week - but suppose it would be difficult to handle with different regions and would cost them too much in shipping costs.

I'm surprised they don't beef the manga offer up a bit more. At the moment, the only real top-tier titles on there off the top of my head is stuff like Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail and Arpeggio of Blue Steel - although I might have overlooked some stuff.

Yeah I'm stuck on the higher tier for a long while but when it's renewal time I don't see any real reason not to downgrade. The premium+ bonuses are too US-centric to be much use to me, so I guess I save money and keep all the drama and manga anyway!

R

I'm on the higher tier until June, but I'll be downgrading after that. There doesn't seem to be a way to downgrade from + to normal, so I just cancelled my auto renewal.

Back