The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

No surprises to see Fairy Tail so low either, given the well publicised problems.

I gather that Garden of Sinners did reasonably well, considering the price point, but I'd need to check to be sure.

black1blade said:
I wonder how many garden of sinners box sets have sold.

Between 400 - 600 units within the UK anyway. Unfair to give specific numbers for titles that aren't mine though :).

Edit: To quantify given it came out barely a month or two ago really over a tough retail period, I'd say for that price it's doing well :).

AP

All bow down to Miyazaki!

It would be interesting to see the split in sales numbers between anime DVD and Blu-Ray - not necessarily even on individual titles (the Ghiblis are dual format anyway) but just on anime as a whole. Not sure if that's possible though.

anime_andrew said:
black1blade said:
I wonder how many garden of sinners box sets have sold.

Between 400 - 600 units within the UK anyway. Unfair to give specific numbers for titles that aren't mine though :).

Edit: To quantify given it came out barely a month or two ago really over a tough retail period, I'd say for that price it's doing well :).

AP
Cool-peps got to love GOS.

Fairy Tail 9 did come out at the end of the month, so it's only had a week to get where it is. MVM's middle position is as much down to Manga Entertainment's vacating the slots as it is to increased sales I suspect...

Its not really what I’d fit the definition of anime, which is animation made in Japan, so I don’t think it does. I’m not the biggest fan of it, but I do admit its well made.

I wouldn't call RWBY anime, but it's so heavily inspired by it, it might as well be. Personally I really enjoyed it, and think the characterisation, action and music is very well done it it. Hopefully it'll be a strong seller for them.

Wouldn’t that mean that Avatar, Winx Club and Teen Titans count? Just asking.
I remember seeing this one YT reviewer call Scott Pilgrim a manga, even though its a Western made comic that makes references to manga. Hell, I noticed several references to Porco Rosso, Akira, FLCL and even Utena. Now thats a show I’d love to see Animatsu get, considering we have Penguindrum released over here, though i doubt it would be as glorious in terms of extras as the Nozomi sets are.

I imagine Utena would be more up Anime Ltd's street. Although didn't MVM say they were trying to relicense it as they used to have the movie?

I don't regard RWBY and its ilk as anime. They're definitely of interest to a subset of anime fans, but so are Japanese live action movies and J-pop concert DVDs and other similar projects.

(I don't like RWBY personally but I like things like Avatar, and however good I think they are I don't consider them anime :D)

R

Okay, I won't put it up. I don't know much about RWBY but I've seen arguments regarding it counting as Anime or not so wanted to put it to the test here. Ta guys! :3

Lutga said:
I imagine Utena would be more up Anime Ltd's street. Although didn't MVM say they were trying to relicense it as they used to have the movie?

I don't remember them saying so? Not hearing anything being on the UK horizon is one of the reasons I took the plunge and imported last month. Knowing my luck someone will get the rights by May Expo...ha.

They could always go down the newer route and give us (me) some Yuri Kuma Arashi, do we have a Shoujo Ai out in the UK? if not, don't you companies reading this think its time? ;)

FRQEny.gif

gao gao

(I don't ever see Arashi ever getting released in the UK, it's far too niche)

Speaking of shows that are far too niche, as awesome as the series is, I don’t think Rose of Versailles or Princess Tutu would ever get a release in a shounen dominated UK market…. We need more fab shoujo sparkles god dammit!

Would anyone here count the Transformers movie from 1986 as anime? It had many Japanese animators work on the designs and it was animated by TMS, so to me it is anime. I’d love that film to get a re-release over here.

LtDiscotek said:
Speaking of shows that are far too niche, as awesome as the series is, I don’t think Rose of Versailles or Princess Tutu would ever get a release in a shounen dominated UK market…. We need more fab shoujo sparkles god dammit!

Agreed, I don't see it happening for either of those, which is a shame. I can see why companies wouldn't take the risk on them even though I would very much like them over here.
MVM seem to be at least trying, hopefully Kamisama Kiss sold well enough for them to look more into Shoujo and it's sparkly goodness.

Well didn't this come out of nowhere - Aniplex of America have announced Durarara!!x2 will be getting an English dub - very soon on Crunchyroll (UK maybe?) and Hulu (US only) every Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Aniplex do quick turnarounds for their shows, but I never expected that they would "simuldub" a series at all. Durarara!! must have done pretty well for them - and I'm not one to complain considering the solid dub for season 1.

Can not wait for the durarara dub, when the dub comes out on crunchyroll (Dosen't matter if its UK or US can still watch using proxmate) will it be dubbed to the current episode thats out or be coming out weekly starting from episode 1?

I wouldn't count the Transformers movie as anime though it's more borderline given the series' history in Japan. It's a darn fine cartoon though and I've watched it dozens of times without ever getting tired of it.

Dannielle said:
LtDiscotek said:

Agreed, I don't see it happening for either of those, which is a shame. I can see why companies wouldn't take the risk on them even though I would very much like them over here.
MVM seem to be at least trying, hopefully Kamisama Kiss sold well enough for them to look more into Shoujo and it's sparkly goodness.

Female-orientated shows have always suffered here because Manga UK don't know how to sell them; they get no marketing or consideration for their target audience and many of the biggest shows have had severely glitched releases. If it wasn't for MVM's efforts to have a diverse catalogue, fans of stuff aimed at the fairer sex would never get anything :(

I think Yuri Kuma Arashi could have a good chance of coming over on DVD one day but it's a crying shame there's no legal stream here. RoV and Princess Tutu are probably impossible ^^;

R

Back