The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

I think part of that problem is accessibility - one could argue that it's semi-pointless to reference an older work if there's no means for the readership to ever view it - something that's compounded by the majority of these works being older than the audience likely viewing them. Not that that excuses it, but reading a piece full of 'It's like so and so from 1975' is kind of frustrating if none of the referenced material are actually available to view legally.

Lutga said:
I think part of that problem is accessibility - one could argue that it's semi-pointless to reference an older work if there's no means for the readership to ever view it - something that's compounded by the majority of these works being older than the audience likely viewing them. Not that that excuses it, but reading a piece full of 'It's like so and so from 1975' is kind of frustrating if none of the referenced material are actually available to view legally.

You've probably hit the nail on the head. But labels will only have an incentive to release something if they think it will sell. This is where those like Criterion stand out, because they influence their customers' tastes by releasing relatively obscure films as well as the customer influencing them with their wallets. Anime Limited, or another 'Criterion of anime', might find this difficult as while Criterion will easily get dozens of critics, review sites and publications salivating over something like Marketa Lazarova, the chances are that an anime won't get nearly as much press. Which is disappointing but there you go.

I should say that there are some great releases of classic anime out there - Viz's Ranma 1/2, Sentai's Nadia and Casshan, MVM's Patlabor OVAs. But I think the Viz and Sentai Blu-Rays are region locked. And of course there's been more on DVD in the past. I mention Blu-Ray, because with so many of the 00s anime having being made in only SD it feels like the time is right to release those that were made on film and can fully benefit from the format (which is more expensive to produce, and brings us back to the 'will it sell?' discussion!). I'm extremely envious of those Japanese Blu-Ray releases of the Miyazaki x Takahata series, Angel's Egg, Urusei Yatsura, Space Battleship Yamato, Record of Lodoss War and Macross to single some out.

That's part of the trouble, that a lot of the 'good stuff' is properly OOP - I mean, Gundam/Macross/Yamato/Sailor Moon - four of the biggest properties ever, and they're OOP in the UK. It's silly. But perhaps that's part of the problem - maybe the Japanese licensors want more money than anyone's willing to pay?

I'm not sure that they have the nostalgia appeal that they ought to over here since they weren't big hits on television in the past, and the long titles all need BBFC fees paying despite their narrow appeal (and Macross is likely unobtainable for other reasons). I'd imagine RoLW could do well enough though; it even had a VHS release here and it was highly praised back in the day. Shame that it would presumably need re-BBFCing.

It sounds as though one of our companies has big plans for Gundam if the first experiments do well...

R

GolGotha said:
Introducing AnimaxUK movie nights on Scuzz! Tune in every Thursday from 10pm this month for a new anime film straight from our friends at Animax - the biggest online streaming service for anime shows, direct from Japan!

This week we have the premiere of Mardock Scramble Part 1: The First Compression
Tune in. SKY 367!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H79BcXxkkRE

You know if parent's saw the uncensored version and found out that the girl is under 13 then I'm sure they would have a fit about it

NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:
For Free! - will definitely look into it ;)! We're huge fans of those dashing swimmers and have thrown some fun packaging ideas round the office unsolicited - bit complicated though all in so we'll see ;)!

AP

There is a chance that you'll probably end up being partnered with Crunchyroll to distribute a bunch of titles they own. I wouldn't say it was a bad thing as they have Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Strike the Blood also which I feel would be a good seller for the UK. But I wonder if Crunchyroll owns some of the rights to the Madhouse/NTV shows given a bunch of them have never been released on home video yet besides Death Parade which Funimation managed to grab before Crunchyroll did. If those titles were part of Crunchyroll's deal then that could mean you would have the rights to the likes of Hunter x Hunter, Kaiji, Parasyte and possibly My Love Story! (airing in April and is also part of Madhouse/NTV) if they also pick it up.

Hmm, I'd like to see AL snag some Cruncyroll Stuff for the UK, given their US release partner has limited themselves largely to DvD only.

Rosencrantz said:
NormanicGrav said:
anime_andrew said:
For Free! - will definitely look into it ;)! We're huge fans of those dashing swimmers and have thrown some fun packaging ideas round the office unsolicited - bit complicated though all in so we'll see ;)!

AP

There is a chance that you'll probably end up being partnered with Crunchyroll to distribute a bunch of titles they own. I wouldn't say it was a bad thing as they have Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Strike the Blood also which I feel would be a good seller for the UK. But I wonder if Crunchyroll owns some of the rights to the Madhouse/NTV shows given a bunch of them have never been released on home video yet besides Death Parade which Funimation managed to grab before Crunchyroll did. If those titles were part of Crunchyroll's deal then that could mean you would have the rights to the likes of Hunter x Hunter, Kaiji, Parasyte and possibly My Love Story! (airing in April and is also part of Madhouse/NTV) if they also pick it up.

Hmm, I'd like to see AL snag some Cruncyroll Stuff for the UK, given their US release partner has limited themselves largely to DvD only.

It would be cool if Anime Limited could co-operate with Discotek to share the costs for dub and authoring, that would help both markets (if that's possible).

Rosencrantz said:
I don't claim to know what's going on with the CR licensed stuff, but does nobody think that CR may only have DVD rights to the shows at the moment?
I assume CR also holds the home video rights in all streaming territories which means it'd have to be sub licensed from them.

Something special is being teased for the latest volume (13) of Blood Lad.

The anime adaptation was 10 episodes + 1 OVA long and covered at least 30 chapters of the manga (6 volumes or 3 '2-in-1' Yen Press volumes).

Mangaranga said:
Rosencrantz said:
I don't claim to know what's going on with the CR licensed stuff, but does nobody think that CR may only have DVD rights to the shows at the moment?
I assume CR also holds the home video rights in all streaming territories which means it'd have to be sub licensed from them.

That might actually be true given that Discotek did mention about the Blu-ray rights to Free!
Right now we are allowed to release DVD only with Japanese language and English subtitles. Someone else MAY do a dub. It might be CR, or it might be another company. Same thing with Blu Ray. Or we may do a dub and a Blu Ray one day. We are just getting this out on the market for people who don't mind DVD and Japanese w/subs now so fans can own if they want. Anything else will be announced in the future.

Dannielle said:
Cel said:
Suppose this should probably go in the Games new thread or whatever, but Steins;Gate is now available to pre-order on PS Vita for just under £24 at ShopTo.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/psvit ... steinsgate

Time to buy myself a Vita.

Looking at Vita games, there's tons of (forgive the lame explanation) Anime-looking ones aren't there? May need to actually look into this.

Yes, if you enjoy "Anime" games or just Japanese games in general, you are -really really- in luck with the PS Vita. About 90% of it's library is Anime games.

Back