The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ayase said:
I think the real reason is that there's just not much chatter on here full stop at the moment.

Quite possible - I've mentioned the Harlock release to a few folks elsewhere online, and I'm pleased to report that the reaction has been enthusiastic.

I do wonder though - if Discotek have the license in North America, can we rule it out as being one of the shows Manga Entertainment could be looking to release as part of their new agreement with Toei?

ayase said:
I'm hyped for Harlock certainly, but this is based solely on name recognition (I've never seen an episode and it'll be a blind-buy) so there's little else I can say about it until I actually have it in my hands!

I've also seen about *this much* Harlock. Still, given the strong concept and the fact that it's got Leiji Matsumoto's name behind it, how can it possibly NOT be fantastic?

OH - I know! Toei could dictate that we all have to pay £150.00 per box set. That would comprehensively ruin it. 8)

HdE said:
I do wonder though - if Discotek have the license in North America, can we rule it out as being one of the shows Manga Entertainment could be looking to release as part of their new agreement with Toei?
Manga? Releasing Captain Harlock in the UK? What did I do to you to deserve having my sides split open like that?

Discotek's pricing has seemed reasonable so far, though they really could do to announce things like release dates and prices a little sooner on their website.

ayase said:
Manga? Releasing Captain Harlock in the UK? What did I do to you to deserve having my sides split open like that?

Unlike many, Ayase, I only hurt the ones I love. ;)

Take that comment as me being genuinely curious about the tie-up between Manga Entertainment and Toei. It's obviously very early in that particular game, but I'm itching to know what other shows might possibly be in the running for a release.

(And truthfully, while Harlock seems to have a pretty faithful following, I'd also be surprised if Manga DID put it out on DVD here.)

ayase said:
Discotek's pricing has seemed reasonable so far, though they really could do to announce things like release dates and prices a little sooner on their website.

Discotek are certainly showing themselves to be a Stateside distributor to watch. I was virtually unaware of them until a few weeks ago. But with them snapping up shows like Samurai Pizza Cats, Harlock and Fist Of The North Star, it seems clear that they're very much 'in the game'.

ayase said:
I'm hyped for Harlock certainly, but this is based solely on name recognition (I've never seen an episode and it'll be a blind-buy) so there's little else I can say about it until I actually have it in my hands!
Have you watched much of Matsumoto's stuff at all? You might as well watch OZMA on Crunchyroll atm if not.

vashdaman said:
I think the real reason is that there's just not much chatter on here full stop at the moment.

Not for long, if Ilmae gets around to posting the 922 replies I am fully expecting from him.
:p My catchup is done, bro, unless I read something really super interesting as I take a gander back at older threads.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
Have you watched much of Matsumoto's stuff at all? You might as well watch OZMA on Crunchyroll atm if not.
Only the two GE999 films (which I largely enjoyed) and a recent, rather disappointing 999 OVA I can't even remember the name of. I'm definately looking forward to seeing the oringinal 999 TV.

I don't actually know what OZMA is at the time of reading, but I shall go and find out.

I don't know, the doll look is pretty creepy. I'd take those face painted dudes over these doll people. Though, to be honest she just looks like a pasty skinned chubby girl with a silly dress and a bow on her head.

I thought it was extremely out of line of the female presenter to criticise them like that. The doll thing does absolutely nothing for me personally, but the presenter came off as a very closed-minded bully condemning a teenager's sense of style. Thank goodness that the girl has a strong mother of her own :s

(And 'chubby', Vash? She has a round face but she doesn't look chubby to me at all!)

R

Hold on a second, people WATCH Daybreak?!

according to the Daily Mail.
********. Got it.

Front page of the paper tomorrow: "MORAL OUTRAGE! Creepy Japanese cartoon craze demoralises family values and defiles the memory of Princess Diana's middle class swans!"?

It's not normal though is it?
Neither's the amount of time make up is applied to you backstage darlin'!

I have to say though, Venus' Mum is awesome. I agree so much with her points - it's innocent and is a lot better than her coming home pregnant or drunk.

(And 'chubby', Vash? She has a round face but she doesn't look chubby to me at all!)

Aye, maybe it did sound a lil harsh, anyway I'm sure it's only puppy fat! I agree that the presenters response of "I would be horrified if my daughter came home like that" was tactless.

Still if I'm honest, I would never let my 15 yr old daughter go out like that (though, it would never be the case that a daughter of mine would want to). The whole "little girl" thing and general obsession with youth in Japanese society are not really things I'm keen on. I would prefer her to dress like a complete nutter rather than pander to the weak, fragile, submissive 'little girl' role. Though in reality, I can't imagine the girl in the video will keep it up for long, so it might be better for her to just go through it and get over it.

"MORAL OUTRAGE! Creepy Japanese cartoon craze demoralises family values and defiles the memory of Princess Diana's middle class swans!

:lol:

Joshawott said:
It's not normal though is it?
Neither's the amount of time make up is applied to you backstage darlin'!
That's just what I was railing at her. I said "You should talk? You what has a team of makeup artists trying to make you look something under 25, but failing miserably every weekday morning? :lol:

Rui said:
I thought it was extremely out of line of the female presenter to criticise them like that.
It was pretty out-of-line for her as a human being, but for a supposedly professional presenter/interviewer it was borderline disgraceful. I'm also no massive fan of the specific look, but she's hardly the first teenager to dress herself in a somewhat non-conformist style.

The woman is welcome to her own views about how she would bring up her own children, which I'm sure more than a couple of people share, but surely you're meant to show a little less bias in her position.

Talk about a load of fuss about nothing. The presenter asked a question based upon her own opinion and the mother responded with her own opinion. Is there any need to act offended on behalf of the girl, and start insulting the presenter?

The woman is welcome to her own views about how she would bring up her own children, which I'm sure more than a couple of people share, but surely you're meant to show a little less bias in her position.
There were probably thousands of parents watching at home sharing the same opinion of the presenter, and her question was something that I expect many people would ask. I'd much rather see a presenter express their opinion on something than follow the seemingly universal trend of asking pithy questions that make for dull interviews. Regarding the bias - the mother is clearly in favour and the presenter is not. Sounds balanced enough to me.

She can ask questions all she likes, it was the opinion that she gave that was unseemly. I am offended on behalf of professional integrity, the same way I am when I read an IGN review, for example.

I think you have deliberately skewed how "bias" is supposed to work in journalism.

Yeah it was definitely a tad disrespectful. She clearly had a bone to pick and thought she'd make them feel uncomfortable on live TV too.

I haven't deliberately skewed anything. Mother makes her point, presenter offers a counterpoint. That's how I view it. Are presenters supposed to be robots that blithely indulge every single interviewee?

It would have been unprofessional of her to end the interview and then make her remark. However, she asked the question and gave the mother a chance to respond. Absolutely nothing wrong in my opinion.

Back