The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

VoxPhantom said:
I haven't deliberately skewed anything. Mother makes her point, presenter offers a counterpoint. That's how I view it. Are presenters supposed to be robots that blithely indulge every single interviewee?

It would have been unprofessional of her to end the interview and then make her remark. However, she asked the question and gave the mother a chance to respond. Absolutely nothing wrong in my opinion.
It wasn't a question, did you actually watch the interview?

To paraphrase.
"It's not normal, is it?" Question.
"Why?"
<Presenter's opinion>

I wouldn't argue about this without watching the interview to start with.

"Is it?" when taken out of context on its own indeed qualifies as a question, well done. I am not slating her at all for her use of either the word "is" or "it", and would commend her for having the presence of mind to include the "?" in an attempt to cover her tracks.

When the mother turned it around to probe whether it was really a question or simply a veiled statement of the presenter's opinion, the presenter replied extremely unprofessionally, quite clearly admitting that she wasn't asking a question by giving an answer that she made it obvious she considered fact, as well as pointing out that she was "horrified" by the dress choices of a 15 year old girl.

Essentially this "question" you want to cling to was "It's not normal, and I'm horrified". I only wish she'd phrased it as frankly as that, because you could then at least make the argument that she was being so obviously Daily Mail-tastic that perhaps she had convinced herself she was a character being sent up in Brass Eye.

She was simply pandering to her audience, you are well aware of this, and every counter argument you have tried to make has been pretty disingenuous in one way or another.

You know who she really wants to interview next? G.I. Joe.

Dolls? Dressing like humans? I'm outraged!

My point is simply that the presenter was entitled to ask that question. If you want to discredit it me by labelling my arguments as disingenuous or skewed, then fair enough - but that's my honestly held view and I'm sticking to it.
I don't think there's any point continuing this, as it seems that negative opinions are unprofessional in this day and age.

I don't think anyone is arguing that there should be no bias or questioning of people in journalism. Aggressive point - counter point debate as you describe is great, when say Jeremy Paxman is probing a politician's integrity. That stuff is important for everybody because they make decisions which affect everyone.

However, taking this tack with a young woman whose fashion choices affect precisely no-one aside from herself (or *shouldn't* affect anyone else were it not for people who choose to be "horrified" by her) is little more than victimising someone for choices they are supposed to be free to make in our society.

I try to think of the entire company as the borglike entity, 'Jerome', as it helps me rationalise some of their peculiar marketing decisions. I've ditched Manga UK as one of my anime providers, so I guess I should broadcast that too?

R

To be fair, I have to agree with Jerome on TalkTalk. They are incredibly ****.

Probably should be left to a personal account, but what he's saying there is 100% true.

If someone did the same about a Manga UK customer experience, he'd completely lose it though, wouldn't he? I remember something similar happening when Tind tried to get them to improve their DVD releases a while back.

And TalkTalk are a horrible ISP, I agree. They are responsible for 100% of my mother-in-law's incessant technical support emergencies. The TalkTalk Twitter account however looks pretty good. Can they swap?

R

Edit: I will however take this back if TalkTalk reply by melodramatically freaking out back at Jerome, MangaUK-style, as that could be hilarious to watch.

Recently, Mum got so fed up with TalkTalk and gave them the finger. I made a tweet about it and how we were moving to Virgin and Virgin Media's Twitter responded to me, congratulating me xD

Also, I've been tweeting Jerome about K-ON!! (Season 2) a few times today and each time I haven't got a reply, but I've got one when I was talking to him about TalkTalk...perhaps that means there is something in the pipeline that he can't talk about yet?

Given his mood with TalkTalk, perhaps K-ON! isn't something Jerome wants to talk about at the moment, especially given the performance of the singles so far! :p

Mm maybe he'll become more talkative on the subject if the complete collection sells like hot cakes. I wouldn't be surprised if he does go for it eventually if it's not a complete flop, as there aren't a massive number of dubbed titles coming out compared to the old days and he'll want to pad out the release schedule. That and releasing part one without a part two when everyone knows it exists is not fantastic for dissuading importers.

R

Rui said:
Mm maybe he'll become more talkative on the subject if the complete collection sells like hot cakes. I wouldn't be surprised if he does go for it eventually if it's not a complete flop, as there aren't a massive number of dubbed titles coming out compared to the old days and he'll want to pad out the release schedule. That and releasing part one without a part two when everyone knows it exists is not fantastic for dissuading importers.

R
Yeah. I even asked him if the Complete Collection sales would be the decider on whether or not they license season 2, as I know that the season 1 singles sold poorly, but that could have been due to the nature of the singles release and the promise of a blu-ray boxset later on (>>).

Seeing as how they admitted in their recent blog that releasing it via singles was a mistake, I certainly hope they do decide to release Puella Magi Madoka Magica as a complete collection blu-ray here, as opposed to 3 DVD singles (Getting mine from AniplexUSA anyway, but still...).

VoxPhantom said:
Given his mood with TalkTalk, perhaps K-ON! isn't something Jerome wants to talk about at the moment, especially given the performance of the singles so far! :p
I actually asked him before the TalkTalk stuff (besides, anger with TalkTalk is perfectly natural =3).

I may have dreamt it but I have a strange sense of conviction that a Madoka release here would be as a complete set on three DVDs. I think I read it in an interview (before it was announced) as a hypothetical release plan but it sounds likely. The German release is a priced-down batch of single DVDs with no extras so I can't see why they couldn't negotiate the same thing but as a set for the UK.

I think expecting singles for K-On! to have sold well in the market Manga UK themselves created here was crazy. Since it was an infamously flawed release in the first place, with music substitution and dodgy blu-rays which we never got etc, even some of the hardcore collectors would have been put off if the singles format itself wasn't a problem. I'm also not sure why they think the massive success it enjoys in Japan would translate to the UK market even without all of the obstacles they created for it. Hopefully the cheap complete set will find its niche.

R

Even then, most websites are charging £29.99 for the K-ON! boxset, which is more than what they charge for their standard 12-14 episode releases. I wonder if that means they have quite a bit of money to recoup (considering the success it was in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them a fair bit).

mangaman74 said:
Joshawott said:
I actually asked him before the TalkTalk stuff (besides, anger with TalkTalk is perfectly natural =3).

We use TalkTalk at work (the phones work alright but the internet at times :roll: )
My condolences.

Joshawott said:
Even then, most websites are charging £29.99 for the K-ON! boxset, which is more than what they charge for their standard 12-14 episode releases. I wonder if that means they have quite a bit of money to recoup (considering the success it was in Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them a fair bit).

That definitely sounds plausible, £29.99 for a 12-14 episode release is astronomical by Manga's standards. Heck, even the Black Butler complete set is under that price on Amazon now.

Back