The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

This is where them being so harsh on other companies which provide a shoddy service only a few hours ago starts to look iffy.

I'm not surprised at all though. It completely sucks for the ten faithful UK people who bought BD Freedom, but there's no way they were going to pay for a redone print run when they always complain about how much it costs to work with blu.

R

Was there a need to reprint Disappearance? I would have assumed they didn't print any BDs after they found out/assumed their master disc was faulty.

That said, they wouldn't even reprint Season 2 of Haruhi, which had a major flaw and was only on DVD! The re-release of those flawed discs was the biggest insult of the lot, in my opinion.

VoxPhantom said:
Was there a need to reprint Disappearance? I would have assumed they didn't print any BDs after they found out/assumed their master disc was faulty.
I'm not sure if it went to print before or after they realised the mistake, but they would have had to remaster it and everything. Wouldn't they have had to remaster Freedom to remove the mistake?

That said, they wouldn't even reprint Season 2 of Haruhi, which had a major flaw and was only on DVD! The re-release of those flawed discs was the biggest insult of the lot, in my opinion.
I haven't even purchased season 2 yet because of Endless Eight.

For all that Manga has to "suffer" (I legitimately wonder how much is their fault and how much they can avoid by taking five minutes to not act like asshats) that's still really ****** business.

Hell, I'd probably demand a straight refund right out of Manga's pocket if I got sold a dud like that.

Madoka Magica and Aniplex's Facebooks are being rather coy:

Madoka Magica Vol. 2 is Available Today! Order you copy today through Rightstuf.com or through Aniplex's Official Retailers.
Oh? xD

Good news I suppose about the Berserk movies? I'm not sure what it means entirely - if I can go along to my local Vue and watch them I will consider it a triumph, if I have to travel to London or Scotland anyway... well that has been the case for a number of movies so far, so I'd rather they worked on AoD than be 100% consumed by things like this for months at a time.

ayase said:
I don't think anyone is arguing that there should be no bias or questioning of people in journalism. Aggressive point - counter point debate as you describe is great, when say Jeremy Paxman is probing a politician's integrity. That stuff is important for everybody because they make decisions which affect everyone.

However, taking this tack with a young woman whose fashion choices affect precisely no-one aside from herself (or *shouldn't* affect anyone else were it not for people who choose to be "horrified" by her) is little more than victimising someone for choices they are supposed to be free to make in our society.
To some extent this is the problem, but the real thing that marks Paxman (he's a good example) out is that his "counter points" would not simply be based on "this is all a little unusual according to my own narrow, personal principles, so I am horrified by it", there has to be some substance there, and whilst it should be questioning to an unforgiving degree it should not be based around personal bias.

We finally have some information and a trailer for Fairy Tail The Movie: The Maiden of the Phoenix.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKp0okAo-fA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKp0okAo-fA?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Plot:
The film revolves around Éclair, a mysterious girl who appears before the Fairy Tail guild with no memories other than the need to deliver two Phoenix Stones somewhere. The stones have the potential to cause the collapse of the magic world and as you can probably guess, the Fairy Tail characters get mixed up in it.

Series creator Hiro Mashima is in charge of story planning and visual designs, as well as drafting the concept art of the new characters. Masashi Sogo (Fairy Tail, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin) is writing the screenplay while Masaya Fujimori (You are Umasou) is directing.

Joshawott said:
Series creator Hiro Mashima is in charge of story planning and visual designs, as well as drafting the concept art of the new characters.
I'm in!

edit: oh cool, I should be in Japan when it opens.

ilmaestro said:
ayase said:
I don't think anyone is arguing that there should be no bias or questioning of people in journalism. Aggressive point - counter point debate as you describe is great, when say Jeremy Paxman is probing a politician's integrity. That stuff is important for everybody because they make decisions which affect everyone.

However, taking this tack with a young woman whose fashion choices affect precisely no-one aside from herself (or *shouldn't* affect anyone else were it not for people who choose to be "horrified" by her) is little more than victimising someone for choices they are supposed to be free to make in our society.
To some extent this is the problem, but the real thing that marks Paxman (he's a good example) out is that his "counter points" would not simply be based on "this is all a little unusual according to my own narrow, personal principles, so I am horrified by it", there has to be some substance there, and whilst it should be questioning to an unforgiving degree it should not be based around personal bias.
While it would be excellent if every journalist also had integrity, some people are always going to exploit a public platform to further their own agendas. Watching Bill O'Reilly, for example, is little more than watching the political equivalent of that Daybreak interview.

This is going rather off topic now so I'll stop. Bias in journalism is an interesting (and difficult) subject though. Biased journalists on the whole tend to believe they're trying to make society better (in their eyes) by bringing things to public attention they see as being wrong. John Pilger, for example. An excellent journalist and has been recognised as such many times, but definitely biased.

Just Passing Through said:
Manga confirm that there will be no replacement programme for Freedom Blu-rays...

Tweet 1
Tweet 2

Not a shock.

What was the issue with Freedom's Blu-Ray release? I remember hearing something mentioned but don't recall exactly what.

ayase said:
::strokes original Beez/Bandai Freedom BD set::

Hanners said:
Still, it could be worse - they could have forgotten to put any subtitles on a release...
That is horrendous. And those are the people who are supposed to be bringing us 999 TV? Well, my enthusiasm for that release can be considered successfully converted into apprehension.

Glad I also got the Bandai release of Freedom blu-ray and I now have doubts about getting the 999 TV series after Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.

mangaman74 said:
ayase said:
::strokes original Beez/Bandai Freedom BD set::

Hanners said:
Still, it could be worse - they could have forgotten to put any subtitles on a release...
That is horrendous. And those are the people who are supposed to be bringing us 999 TV? Well, my enthusiasm for that release can be considered successfully converted into apprehension.

Glad I also got the Bandai release of Freedom blu-ray and I now have doubts about getting the 999 TV series after Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.

I'm beginning to wonder about importing the Madman release of Freedom. I know that Manga basically released the Madman disc, but they had to reauthor it for the UK just to put their logo on the front, and produce their own print run.

I know that the Australian anime buying public is a shy and retiring group, hardly vocal about that which offends them, but I can't believe after this much time on the market that no one in Australia has had a whinge about their Madman release of Freedom. It leads me to suspect that the AU Region B disc might not be as skitzed out as the UK disc.

It would be interesting to know for science whether it was Manga or Madman who failed to bother even checking their own release once through at all before pressing a batch of expensive glitched discs.

My Bobobo just arrived. I'm not going to send it back though; £20 for 38 episodes was a steal even if they are probably mediocre quality and unsubtitled. Never thought I'd get to watch the anime version!

R

Edit: And it's now been confirmed that the lack of subtitles is intentional (the packaging which mentions them was mistaken).

Back