The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

No one is a good character in that show. It's a Mamet play of the worst people being awful people and refusing to grow the **** up.

Actauly, no I lied, Dad who looks like Future Apollo Justice is awesome, mostly because he caves his idiot son's face in that one time.

Sentai Filmworks Confirms DVD/Blu-Ray Release for "Kids on the Slope"

Following its initial announcement at Anime Boston, Sentai Filmworks has confirmed that the noitaminA series Kids on the Slope will be getting a DVD and Blu-Ray release later this year. The series is currently being streamed on Crunchyroll under a month-long exclusivity window before being offered on multiple digital formats. The confirmation of a Blu-Ray release also leads to the possibility of the series receiving an English dub, though nothing specific has been confirmed on that front at this time

Woo!

Awesome, I want Thermae Romae and wasn't going to get the Patlabor, so the only news which affects me is good. I have already ordered Funimation's Shiki sets.

Hopefully the Patlabor issue will be resolved for its fans soon.

R

Just Passing Through said:
I'm beginning to wonder about importing the Madman release of Freedom. I know that Manga basically released the Madman disc, but they had to reauthor it for the UK just to put their logo on the front, and produce their own print run.
Manga does the replication here via Technicolor.
The way it seems to work is that Manga chips in on the costs and Madman runs them off a master with different menu assets, which is presumably a lot easier since they've already authored everything else and especially if they have the equipment in-house (which Manga definitely do not).

Just Passing Through said:
A Region 4 Good News and Bad News situation...

The Bad News...

The Patlabor OVA The Early Days Collectionhas been indefinitely delayed.

Circumstances outside Madman's control apparently.

The Good News...

Siren Visual have another AU exclusive

The noitaminA show THERMAE ROMAE is coming out on sub only DVD in July.
Oh, my teeth! Geting hit with the Patlabor thing hurt like a bastard but getting smashed in the face with the fact that the bad Rome in a Bathtub flash animation that somehow ended up on noitaminA somehow getting licensed anywhere just made my dentist a god-damned millionaire.

Guys, you do realise it's Madman who have shelved Patlabor and Siren Visual who have announced Thermae Romae, right? Two completely different companies.

Would have been better news if TR had been a better show, but as I am still yet to break my Region 4 importation duck anyway, perhaps I shouldn't be too upset.

ayase said:
Guys, you do realise it's Madman who have shelved Patlabor and Siren Visual who have announced Thermae Romae, right? Two completely different companies.
So? it's still two 2x4s of extreme face pain and good things happening to bad flash animation.

Madman have announced a few new acquisitions, including Aquarian Evol and Oreimo.

I suppose Madman's release of Oreimo could be easier (and possibly cheaper) for people to get hold of, rather than Anixplex USA's?

ConanThe3rd said:
ayase said:
So? it's still two 2x4s of extreme face pain and good things happening to bad flash animation.
It sounded as though you and Zin5ki were treating it as a decision made by the same people. Apologies if you weren't. Although it is a shame about Patlabor (though I'm not affected personally as I have the R1 DVDs) I'm not sure someone releasing a show you're not interested in is such a slap in the face. With the exception of those who like everyting, his happens to most of us quite often, surely?

VoxPhantom said:
Madman have announced a few new acquisitions, including Aquarian Evol and Oreimo.

I suppose Madman's release of Oreimo could be easier (and possibly cheaper) for people to get hold of, rather than Anixplex USA's?
I'll be picking up their Oreimo release if it's cheaper than Aniplex's one.

An editorial summing up Kadokawa and their stance on international Blu-ray releases (including Panty and Stocking)

Well if this is accurate, it pretty much confirms what I'm thinking. Japanese Licensors are so scared of reverse importation cutting into their domestic sales that they are refusing Blu-ray rights and forcing DVD only foreign releases. Either that or they're forcing hobbled releases (Forced subs on FMA:Brotherhood, lossy audio and singles on K-ON).

However this is all still speculation, maybe Kadokawa are just playing hardball with negotiations on Blu-ray rights? Or Funi decided the extra cost wasn't worth it based on previous blu-ray sales? Who knows, either way it's annoying.

Sigh...this is the problem when anime is so reliant on a small yet loyal domestic fanbase. I honestly cannot see a solution to this that will satisfy everyone. Maybe I should start watching Doctor Who instead. I know there'll be no fear of buying a substandard release for the purposes of not cannibalising the domestic market when we are the domestic market for it :wink:

Back