The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Just Passing Through said:
Joshawott said:
MangaUK hinting at Blue Exorcist release?

Well, it'd be more of a hint if the release wasn't sub only...unless Kaze are doing it.

Noted the follow up tweet as well...
Signs of Manga coming to terms with the possibility of a sub only market!

If they license and release it as such, will it be their first sub-only release?
Just saw that too (hehe reply to me!).

I'm guessing it's also now a case of a lot of U.S. companies going sub-only; they'd be excluding a lot of potential shows by staying dub-only.

I've decided to bait MangaUK, by saying that I was considering importing (which I am), but I might wait if there's a UK release on the cards xD

I wish I was in time to get NISA's Premium Edition for Toradora volume 1 T_T. My volume 2 Premium Edition is currently "On Order" :S.

Also, MangaUK don't have Blue Exorcist - was only speculation.

Kyaku said:
ilmaestro said:
Cathe said:
To those who did the survey, what did you put for 'which north american dvd or blu ray release is your favourite' and 'why is it your favourite?'

My answer was 'Maria Holic' and 'Why do you think?' :D
I'm not sure if the reason I think you would like Maria Holic is the same as the actual reason you like Maria Holic. ^^;

I put down NISA's premium releases of Toradora! and Katanagatari.

You liked Toradora?
I can't think of many shows I would more obviously like. There are one or two nitpicks you could have with the times where it stays too close to genre conventions, and I don't personally "like" Ami, but it is a hard show to imagine too many people disliking.

Joshawott said:
MangaUK hinting at Blue Exorcist release?

Well, it'd be more of a hint if the release wasn't sub only...unless Kaze are doing it.

Noted the follow up tweet as well...
Signs of Manga coming to terms with the possibility of a sub only market!

If they license and release it as such, will it be their first sub-only release?
If so, awesome. Welcome to the land of making money, Manga.

I wish that if they were doing sub-only, they picked a series that isn't already out in English somewhere so that they could see sales which hadn't been cannibalised already by imports (and also that would mean more choice for me). The series itself would surely do well though.

I know they can't ever admit this on the record themselves, but it would also be a nice little boost for them if other people in English-speaking territories started importing *our* releases for once.

R

Rui said:
I wish that if they were doing sub-only, they picked a series that isn't already out in English somewhere so that they could see sales which hadn't been cannibalised already by imports (and also that would mean more choice for me). The series itself would surely do well though.

Beez Entertainment did just that with House of Five Leaves and The Tatami Galaxy.

Durarara technically counts as well, but it was too close to the US release date ultimately to work with that criteria.

Hanners said:
Beez Entertainment did just that with House of Five Leaves and The Tatami Galaxy.

Durarara technically counts as well, but it was too close to the US release date ultimately to work with that criteria.

Yeah, though none ended up as complete exclusives in the end (unlike a lot of Siren's catalogue). They were all very niche titles too, compared to something like Blue Exorcist that the online FMA/Naruto crowd would probably eat up with the right push.

The Durarara thing was annoying, as the timing of the US announcement with dub really hampered the excitement here.

Edit: Ooh, it's a shame there's no confirmation of the Japanese dub too on those Pokemon discs (and I'd need to confirm which films are which as I already have a bunch of them). That would have made me run out and get a region B player...

R

Rui said:
Edit: Ooh, it's a shame there's no confirmation of the Japanese dub too on those Pokemon discs (and I'd need to confirm which films are which as I already have a bunch of them). That would have made me run out and get a region B player...

R
Pokémon 4Ever is known in Japan as "Celebi: a Timeless Encounter" and Pokémon Heroes is "The Guardians of Altomare".

However, someone on Bulbagarden's forum shown me this. Apparently region-free and includes movies 4-7 (Celebi: A Timeless Encounter, The Guardians of Altomare, Wishing Star of the Seven Nights and Deoxys the Visitor).

I agree it's a shame about the lack of Japanese audio. Only reason I can think of to keep things dub-only is because of reverse importing risk and having to translate all the Pokémon names and terminology xD

EDIT: Wait! Rights for the music! That's probably why we don't have the original Japanese audio. The dubbers don't always get the rights to the BGM. While with a fair few of the tracks, replacing them is a conscious decision, there are also occasions where they can't get the rights to the all of the original score.

Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe back together...

Sakamichi no Apollon

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LqOv72Ns0k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LqOv72Ns0k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yoko Kanno and Shinichiro Watanabe back together...

Sakamichi no Apollon

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LqOv72Ns0k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LqOv72Ns0k?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

BEST ANIME OF THE YEAR!! :twisted:

It looks like Kimi Ni Todoke... but not... plus watanabe and kanno 8)

Humbug to this 'popular' music. Such a percussive din should be restricted to insulated dive bars and discotheques, ideally those in the less-than-salubrious locations befitting it.

Back