The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

How much does a licence cost? Or why ADV went bust on one A4 sheet.

Part of the court records in the current back and forth between neo-ADV and Funimation include a list of the titles ADV licensed through Sojitz and ARM. Taken from a forum thread on The Fandom Post about ADV vs. Funi.

You can see where the $8million owed comes from...

Some of those prices for titles are absolutely insane, and could never have been recouped!

$960,000 for Kurau!
$780,000 for Air Gear
$746.665 for Guyver
$780,000 for Tokyo Maijin Gakuen
$660,000 for Red Garden (the title that sold like 20 copies in the UK!)
$780.000 for Pumpkin Scissors
$500,000 for Wallflower
$500,000 for AMG S2.

No wonder they went bust.

Just Passing Through said:
$960,000 for Kurau!
$780,000 for Air Gear
$746.665 for Guyver
$780,000 for Tokyo Maijin Gakuen
$660,000 for Red Garden (the title that sold like 20 copies in the UK!)
$780.000 for Pumpkin Scissors
$500,000 for Wallflower
$500,000 for AMG S2.

Just thought I translate these into pounds:

Kurau! - £612,000
Air Gear - £497,000
Guyver - £476,000
Tokyo Maijin Gakuen - £497,000
Red Garden - £421,000
Pumpkin Scissors - £497,000
Wallflower - £319,000
AMG S2 - £319,000

The surprise for me on the FUNi survey was seeing Omamori Himari and Seitokai.

ilmaestro said:
That would be... interesting. I didn't last more than an episode of AoEx myself, but I would be tempted to buy it just on principle.
I haven't seen any of it. I was convinced it was coming to AoD - there was even what appeared to be an accidentally leaked news article on the ANN UK site for a while.

Jerome did say like a year ago that he would consider sub-only "if it made sen$e" but he had trouble making the numbers work for the "Manga model".

Durarara Blu-ray with English dub and sub... in Japan.

Cue US fans waiting eagerly on Aniplex...

EDIT: Stupid exclamation marks in the link!
Fixed

Joshawott said:
Black Rock Shooter to be streamed worldwide...except not to the UK.

We are no longer a part of the world! Rejoice - we are aliens now!

Lol surprise surprise with the english revelation.
Much as people hate Funi, I think we'd honestly be much better with Kaze, MVM and Funi collectively looking after the UK, than Kaze, MVM and Manga...

Time and time again we're missed off these, because we're not important enough to be considered part of the EU enough as we speak different languages and are smaller, and time and time we're not included in the english speaking section, because we're not american and have to deal with stupid things like BBFC and being considered a different region...

/sigh

Ehh, I'm not yet ready to buy Durarara!! again. I saw Aniplex was tweeting about some exciting news coming up, but as fabulous as the show is, if this is it I'll wait for a cheaper release down the line.

And while I'm sure BRS will turn up somewhere else eventually, being overtly excluded like that is really, really aggravating.

R

$960,000 for Kurau!
Worth every penny. Just a shame they didn't last long enough to release all the singles in the UK; I still look at my lopsided collection with its two US volumes with a slightly pained expression.

And three hundred quid for Durarara on BD? Hahaha, no.

ayase said:
$960,000 for Kurau!
Worth every penny. Just a shame they didn't last long enough to release all the singles in the UK; I still look at my lopsided collection with its two US volumes with a slightly pained expression.
Do what I did with my mixed R1 and R4 RahXephon DVDs: buy the art box and hide the spines from sight. Right Stuf still have the Kurau box. It'll cost you ten quid with postage but trust me: you'll sleep better at night.

And as good a show as Kurau is, it was never in a bajillion years going to recoup that license fee. Insanity.

fabricatedlunatic said:
ayase said:
$960,000 for Kurau!
Do what I did with my mixed R1 and R4 RahXephon DVDs: buy the art box and hide the spines from sight. Right Stuf still have the Kurau box. It'll cost you ten quid with postage but trust me: you'll sleep better at night.

And as good a show as Kurau is, it was never in a bajillion years going to recoup that license fee. Insanity.

But he'll still know. HE'LL KNOW (O____O)

Speaking from experience, it's not something you can ever truly forget. The scars will never completely fade. But at least you're not reminded of the trauma with each and every glance at your shelves, and that has to be worth something.

DRRR!! BOUGHT. Seems like a bargain compared to some of those prices ADV paid!

Rui said:
Ooh, it's a shame there's no confirmation of the Japanese dub too on those Pokemon discs (and I'd need to confirm which films are which as I already have a bunch of them). That would have made me run out and get a region B player...
What is wrong with you... :D

Rui said:
Ehh, I'm not yet ready to buy Durarara!! again. I saw Aniplex was tweeting about some exciting news coming up, but as fabulous as the show is, if this is it I'll wait for a cheaper release down the line.
This seems like an odd criticism, to me (I appreciate you might not be "criticizing" them, as such) - If you just don't want to buy this BD collection at that price anyway then I can understand, but if that isn't the case then having just paid £45 or whatever for the DVDs has little bearing to me on a second £300 purchase that is still four months away. Just imagine the pound was worth only slightly less against the yen!

I think a far stronger argument is "look how relatively soon they turned around a cheaper BD set of Baccano! for the US", but I don't want to miss out on the drama CDs in particular. Slightly upsetting that they aren't including the mini LNs that were in the JP DVD LEs, but I suppose people who were silly enough to buy those have to feel like they got something.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...actually, I don't mind so much. Too much stuff I want coming out late Feb through March.
I don't care either, until all three movies are out.

Kyaku said:
Can I be one of those few then? Because I genuinely thought it was sub-par to the manga.
Of course you can, but it's still strange that you were surprised in the first place. I'd imagine the manga (never read it, tertiary adaptations - and most specifically manga adaptations of LNs - don't usually appeal to me) is sub-par compared to the LNs, but I wouldn't expect this to make you think less of the manga itself.

Back