The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

According to Amazon.com, Viz are releasing Berserk: Golden Age Arc II - Battle for Doldrey on August 6th in America.
If it's anything like last time we should get it sometime in September.

EDIT: God, I was just looking at the replies to Manga asking about GiTS:SAC on FB.
First, people don't seem to understand that SRP/RRP isn't the price you pay, and secondly so many people are bitching and whining over the thought of paying £25-30 for a half series despite the fact that they do it anyway. There's so many comments pretty much saying "£25 for Full seasons and I'll buy it" or "Hurr Durr I can get both sets for £40 on DVD". Some people are even comparing it to Code Geass's pricing. Never really venturing outside Twitter I didn't realise how ****** the UK fanbase can be to deal with. It's kind of depressing. I can't see this happening with the amount of negative feedback I've seen either now unless they somehow manage to massively lower their costs. Maybe partnering with Madman or Hanabee would make it more viable? I don't know.

Mangaranga said:
God, I was just looking at the replies to Manga asking about GiTS:SAC on FB.
First, people don't seem to understand that SRP/RRP isn't the price you pay, and secondly so many people are bitching and whining over the thought of paying £25-30 for a half series despite the fact that they do it anyway. There's so many comments pretty much saying "£25 for Full seasons and I'll buy it" or "Hurr Durr I can get both sets for £40 on DVD". Some people are even comparing it to Code Geass's pricing. Never really venturing outside Twitter I didn't realise how ****** the UK fanbase can be to deal with. It's kind of depressing. I can't see this happening with the amount of negative feedback I've seen either now unless they somehow manage to massively lower their costs. Maybe partnering with Madman or Hanabee would make it more viable? I don't know.o/quote]t/quote]
The vast majority of people are ignorant and unreasonable regardless of nationality or interests. Unfortunately Manga do seem a little more prone to taking offence and sulking over this basic fact of human nature than most companies. It's give and take - Consumers make ludicrous demands for a bar of solid gold for 10p, companies tell them they can only have a dog turd for £100, a bit of haggling is done and eventually customers end up with a lump of lead for £25 (except if we're talking about EA, in which case it's £100 turds or nothing).

I do wonder how many of the people on their Facebook translate to their actual marketplace too. They seem to put a lot of value on the opinions of people on social media when their business model is designed around pushing out cheap DVDs to every shop they can, which presumably attracts normal people rather than armchair anime market analysts.

I can't deal with reading their FB/Twitter stuff either. It makes me too depressed.

R

Yeah I was surprised how many people thought they'd actually be paying £35 for each set, even after me and several others kept pointing it out on the Facebook comments page. I hope it doesn't scupper it, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex would look beautiful on Blu-ray.

Ath said:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex would look beautiful on Blu-ray.

As far as I know it was originally animated in SD, so the BD is an upscale. It's better than the DVD, of course, but it's not native HD.

Teo

Mangaranga said:
EDIT: God, I was just looking at the replies to Manga asking about GiTS:SAC on FB.
First, people don't seem to understand that SRP/RRP isn't the price you pay, and secondly so many people are bitching and whining over the thought of paying £25-30 for a half series despite the fact that they do it anyway. There's so many comments pretty much saying "£25 for Full seasons and I'll buy it" or "Hurr Durr I can get both sets for £40 on DVD". Some people are even comparing it to Code Geass's pricing. Never really venturing outside Twitter I didn't realise how ****** the UK fanbase can be to deal with. It's kind of depressing. I can't see this happening with the amount of negative feedback I've seen either now unless they somehow manage to massively lower their costs. Maybe partnering with Madman or Hanabee would make it more viable? I don't know.o/quote]t/quote]

This probably wont make you feel better but you get the same thing on pretty much any website/social media. Fact of the matter is only a vocal minority are actively posting for any given topic, the fact that they don't respond to or even have a clue that the SRP/RRP will be dropped a good chunk by Amazon shows they are not there to discuss, they just wish to promote their agenda.

I see it all the time in Warcraft and it's got to the point where Blizz actively respond that the fact 90 ppl don't like something doesn't mean a change is needed when 9000 other people are happy/not fussed and simply aren't posting because of that. Manga should toughen up and keep faith in the model they know works, asking the fans for info sounds like a good idea but most of those that will respond are idiots

There's already a customer review on Amazon for the Street Fighter II blu-ray, and it's not all good news. He's basing this on the French release that he bought.

I found further corroboration on the Blu-ray.com forum, right here.

So by all counts, the UK will be getting the censored English track for this one. My reaction can only be this:

Last edited by a moderator:
People are seriously complaining about paying £25 for half a series of GitS on Blu-ray? That's the going rate for all of Manga's 12/13 episode series on the format. I despair.

Yakumo said:
There's already a customer review on Amazon for the Street Fighter II blu-ray, and it's not all good news. He's basing this on the French release that he bought.

So by all counts, the UK will be getting the censored English track for this one. My reaction can only be this:

Typing of despair... good lord. You know, I really want to be positive but things like this keep happening. The Kaze version could the same as the second entry here (which still has minor video edits) but we'd need someone to check to be sure. Oh well. That was going to be my first UK purchase in 6 months but I think I'll stick with my crappy DVD instead ;_;

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be honest here, until the day something is served to you for absolutely free on a solid gold, diamond encrusted platter, served to you in a fancy mansion (that you now own) after a free ride in a limousine driven by a chauffeur (both of which you now own), people are going to bitch. In fact, some will still be bitching over wanting to choose whether it will be served to them by a fancy butler or a big breasted maid.

Joshawott said:
Let's be honest here, until the day something is served to you for absolutely free on a solid gold, diamond encrusted platter, served to you in a fancy mansion (that you now own) after a free ride in a limousine driven by a chauffeur (both of which you now own), people are going to bitch. In fact, some will still be bitching over wanting to choose whether it will be served to them by a fancy butler or a big breasted maid.
You might want to quote to indicate that you're talking about GiTS and not the SF2 release.

Yakumo said:

Good old Kaze strike again. Wish Manga would stop distributing for them, they are hopeless. I'm cancelling my pre-order. I'll stick with my DVD.

Dan said:
Yakumo said:

Good old Kaze strike again. Wish Manga would stop distributing for them, they are hopeless. I'm cancelling my pre-order. I'll stick with my DVD.
Oh yes, because I want MORE delays on my Viz stuff. That'd be awesome.

I get you're cheesed about Street Fighter but throwing the baby out with the bathwater ain't going to help.

fabricatedlunatic said:
People are seriously complaining about paying £25 for half a series of GitS on Blu-ray? That's the going rate for all of Manga's 12/13 episode series on the format. I despair../quote]

Well, I think there may be some understandable thinking behind those complaints.

Myself, I bought GITS for about £35, both series, all in, on DVD.

It's a FANTASTIC show, probably one of the few truly unmissable anime experiences out there... but the fact is, it's not shiny and new anymore.

The idea of paying four times that, for a show that has been around awhile, and that a lot of anime fans have probably already seen, truthfully isn't going to be very enticing. Which is a shame, really. Personally, I'd be happy to drop that kind fo money for it if I didn't already own it on DVD.

We can lament the mentality of the UK fan base (or sections of it, at least) all we want. But, alas, that's what the distros have got to work with.

ConanThe3rd said:
Oh yes, because I want MORE delays on my Viz stuff. That'd be awesome.

I get you're cheesed about Street Fighter but throwing the baby out with the bathwater ain't going to help.

Your right but do wish Manga would tell them to pull their finger out. Although they could be for all we know, hopefully they will improve.

ConanThe3rd said:
Joshawott said:
You might want to quote to indicate that you're talking about GiTS and not the SF2 release.
True. I totally agree with the anger about SF2 if the audio sounds as choppy as the reports make it seem.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... moon-anime

viz media europe has licensed the original sailor moon series, this is great news but i really hope the uk follows soon, what with the recent licences of dragonball z and one piece, maybe manga or kaze will get this. toei may be trying to market this in support of the new sailor moon anime.
hopefully a uk company will announce they have it.
this has just bought up an interesting question for me, manga and kaze seem to go for the longer series, most of mvm's shows are no longer than 26 episodes, so with that in mind, would anime limited think about licensing some longer series, ones with about 50 or more episodes

Going to put it out there, did not see this one coming.
So if Viz feel spunky and want to go for a two-fer a similar release over here would be awesome. Just make 'Stars sub only and bob is your metaphorical uncle. I mean, hey, at least they can't screw up any worse than MVM did, right?

the only problem i see is the length of the series, but the anime is so popular that it should be quite profitable for them, if there's no announcement by the end of the year, then i'll have to look into importing them (provided they have engllish subs, which i doubt)

manga_addicted95 said:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/04/19/viz-media-europe-acquires-sailor-moon-anime

viz media europe has licensed the original sailor moon series, this is great news but i really hope the uk follows soon, what with the recent licences of dragonball z and one piece, maybe manga or kaze will get this. toei may be trying to market this in support of the new sailor moon anime.
hopefully a uk company will announce they have it.
this has just bought up an interesting question for me, manga and kaze seem to go for the longer series, most of mvm's shows are no longer than 26 episodes, so with that in mind, would anime limited think about licensing some longer series, ones with about 50 or more episodes

I'd only interested in a UK Sailormoon on the assumption we got it uncut and subbed, none of that butchered dub nonsense.

I know for certain that the German dub version is totally uncut having had the opportunity many years ago to watch it via Satellite

Back