The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

i really liked the show, and i'll read the manga and watch the new anime, i don't mind sitting through 200 eps, if they did release it on dvd in the uk then i'm pretty sure they'd do an uncut version of it.

Uncut would be nice, but I have a fondness for the dub as it was one of my first anime.

I'm probably one of the only people who wants a boxset of the Cardcaptors dub as well.

animefreak17 said:
SnowWolf said:
Uncut would be nice, but I have a fondness for the dub as it was one of my first anime.

I'm probably one of the only people who wants a boxset of the Cardcaptors dub as well.

nope your not alone on that

Stateside Samurai Pizza Cats is getting separate dub and sub releases. That could happen with both Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

iv got the sub of card captor and if your right then im screwed. but if it does il just get it on dub,

as for Samurai Pizza Cats il wait til the price goes down and wait like the cheap basterd i am.

Manga are going to have a hard time convincing me not to import this...
lupinfujikomine.png

Great cover, i might go for that too probably unless that can do a box like that which lets say, its impossible here in the uk these days.

Rosencrantz said:
I'd only interested in a UK Sailormoon on the assumption we got it uncut and subbed, none of that butchered dub nonsense.
A company has already been burned by that one in the UK once (MVM), and wasn't it one of Jerome's "balls in drawer" titles?

teonzo said:
As far as I know [Stand Alone Complex] was originally animated in SD, so the BD is an upscale. It's better than the DVD, of course, but it's not native HD.
It's actually been quite hard to find out anything.. but then the BDs came out a few years ago in Japan.
What I do recall from the time that SAC was new is that there was talk about each episode having the budget of a feature film.

According to Muhootsaver it was animated in HD.

--edit--

Finally located a discussion thread on the JP DVDs (it must pre-date TFP as I couldn't fine anything there and Mania.com was playing up)
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.p ... ost1644360

Shiroi Hane said:
It's actually been quite hard to find out anything.. but then the BDs came out a few years ago in Japan.
What I do recall from the time that SAC was new is that there was talk about each episode having the budget of a feature film.

I've found a post by the guy that is in charge of mastering the Italian BDs and DVDs. He said it was originally animated at a resolution between SD and HD, most probably 720.

Teo

teonzo said:
Shiroi Hane said:

I've found a post by the guy that is in charge of mastering the Italian BDs and DVDs. He said it was originally animated at a resolution between SD and HD, most probably 720.

Teo
It was probably animated at around 540p. When they say 'HD', 99% of the time they mean 720p. Also looking at the source it looks more on the 540p side.

Ahhh yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood was animated at 540p too if I remember correctly. I compared Volume 2 of Brotherhood on both Blu-ray and DVD on my TV to see how much of a difference there was. I still thought the BD represented a significant enough upgrade in picture quality to justify importing the rest of the series on BD in that case.

The screens in the Mania thread (the ones that are still up) look pretty decent to me. I would like to see more of them though to get a clearer idea. I'd imagine the biggest benefit of a BD upgrade would be the lossless audio, I just wish I had a proper sound system to take advantage of it :(

Lot's of things are still animated at 540p now. Unless they've changed this season, anything from Studio Bones or J.C.Staff is.
What you have to consider when comparing BD vs DVD though is that you have a much higher bitrate for both Video and Audio, better colour, and there's no interlacing.

I have a decent set of speakers and the only time I ever really notice the difference in sound quality is when I'm watching one of Funi's DVDs in Japanese. The Japanese Audio for Index and Railgun is only 192kbps (I think) and it starts to sound distorted when turned up. The Engdub has a higher bitrate and isn't affected so much.

When it comes to music I can usually tell the difference up until 320kbps, anything after that sounds the same to me.

I liked NDTP a lot back in the day (enough to buy the OST even), but I've never really felt enough of an urge to replace my VHS tapes for it. I can't help wondering how much interest there's likely to be in a re-release at this point in time.

Doraemon666 said:
Was never a big fan of New Dominion Tank Police but i love the original OVA.

New/Crusher is kind of sterile compared to the original. I think the loss of the (almost?) post-apocalyptic setting made it less interesting.

Back