The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Sooooo, Manga are hypothetically asking about how many people would buy Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex on BD..
QUESTION: Hypothetically, if we could release Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-ray, and it would be over 4 half seasons sets at the SRP of £34.99 each, would you buy them? ^JG /quote]]/quote]
Keeping in mind that £34.99 RRP translates to about £25 on Amazon, I'd say hell yeah. Let em know!

Rui said:
A bit more info about Daisuki:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25532.html

Sounds great, though confirmation of ad-supported only is something I shall be exercising the offer to give feedback on.

R

Having now looked into it I quite like Cruncyrolls approach, flat fee like a lot of other Movie services gets you everything, and you could still watch for free if your happy to have ads, wait and not have top viewing resolution.

Perhaps they are not opting for a fee approach at the start as they will not have a back catalogue to justify it? Assuming they do a good job It'd be very easy after 1 -2 seasons to introduce a fee paying side, and being free to start with attracts people. Ads are annoying but if it's free and well done I could see most people that would rather pay sticking round.

bakum4tsu said:
reborn said:
Sentai has announced it's newest license: Devil Survivor 2 The Animation.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... n-tv-anime

wow that was fast, the serie just started this month.

I was just thinking that too, and if they can announce it surely that'd mean they've been negotiating even prior to release? I wonder if they somehow get things cheaper licencing up front like this? Surely they run the risk of licencing some duds?

Rosencrantz said:
I was just thinking that too, and if they can announce it surely that'd mean they've been negotiating even prior to release? I wonder if they somehow get things cheaper licencing up front like this? Surely they run the risk of licencing some duds?

It seems common now in the US for licenses to be acquired simultaneously for home video as well as streaming, now that Funi/Aniplex/Sentai are in the streaming game themselves. In a few cases they are more cautious and only pick up the streaming rights, but Sentai in particular have been very aggressive in grabbing whatever they can to reduce Funimation's future licensing power.

The way Sentai do it is take all the rights at the start for a series they think will sell, then if nobody watches the legal streams or it's a niche show they just do a barebones sub-only DVD when the time comes, guaranteeing that it won't lose them money. If it performs well, it gets a dub and possibly a BD release too.

I've never been convinced by the argument that non-legit streams 'create' a market for a title as you can usually tell from the first five minutes whether a show is going to be terrible or at least basically marketable to some kind of paying audience - if not from the staff, concept art and summary alone. There are plenty of stories about weird anomalies where a show 'bombed' online then reportedly sold like hot cakes once the DVDs were available because the general public has odd taste.

That and Sentai have licensed some pretty mediocre stuff in the past even after it's had a full run on television, which convinces me that they're playing by different rules :D

R

I wonder if Sentai will be allowed to keep the Japanese audio if they release a Blu-ray this time? Considering the shenanigans Atlus/Index seem to be pulling on a regular basis with anything Megaten related, they're gonna try something to cripple it :p

Ath said:
I wonder if Sentai will be allowed to keep the Japanese audio if they release a Blu-ray this time? Considering the shenanigans Atlus/Index seem to be pulling on a regular basis with anything Megaten related, they're gonna try something to cripple it :p
It's more likely to be Aniplex for the anime.

Index and Railgun are getting Bluray boxsets in Japan in June and July.
Maybe this is the reason why Funi aren't allowed to release it on Bluray?

Saying that, looking around Amazon JP there seems to be lots of full set re-releases lately. Maybe they're trying to stop people getting the US releases by offering a cheaper alternative.
Surely this would piss off those who buy the singles though.

Back