The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

manga_addicted95 said:
it's understandable that people would doubt an honest to budha uk uncut release, especially with past failed attempts at releasing it here, but i figure we finally got dragonball z and were finally getting one piece, perhaps toei are feeling generous, and i realise that both those were released by funimation in the US, whilst sailor moon has no US licensor i still think, no matter how faintly, that it is possible that the uk may eventually get it.........at least within the next 30 years or so :)
And if you don't think I want MVM to die a death most fowl for it's part in all this then you'd be sorely mistaken

Just Passing Through said:
If you were thinking of trying out Australia's Shana Blu-ray discs, you might want to wait a while...

It appears that Sony Universal have done a... Sony...

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2021694#post2021694

mistimed subs!

Jesus, a whole set with mis-timed subs? That should be a impossibility, there's no way QC did not spot that.

Though I am thinking why would anyone pick up the Aus set? I only looked to Aus for things not available in the US/UK, is it a cheaper release?

Sentai's August Releases:
Garden of Words (BD/DVD) - 6th August
Shining Hearts (BD/DVD) - 13th August
Tsuritama (BD/DVD) - 20th August
New Dominion Tank Police (DVD) - 20th August
Medaka Box (BD/DVD) - 27th August

That's a pretty damn fast turnaround for Garden of Words. Will be importing this time after being burned by Kaze with the Children who chase lost voices extras/commentary track. Was strongly considering getting the Japanese release but it hardly seems worth it when there's only a month delay. That's probably how long it would take to get to me :/
Out of the above titles I'm also considering picking up Tsuritama. Let's hope that there's none of this 1080i ******** with these titles.

Rosencrantz said:
Just Passing Through said:
If you were thinking of trying out Australia's Shana Blu-ray discs, you might want to wait a while...

It appears that Sony Universal have done a... Sony...

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=2021694#post2021694

mistimed subs!

Jesus, a whole set with mis-timed subs? That should be a impossibility, there's no way QC did not spot that.

Though I am thinking why would anyone pick up the Aus set? I only looked to Aus for things not available in the US/UK, is it a cheaper release?
I imagine that people without multi-region BD players might have been looking to order the Aussie release.

VoxPhantom said:
I imagine that people without multi-region BD players might have been looking to order the Aussie release.

Ah hadn't considered that, I think I'd just assumed they were not our BD region as they were DvD 4. Still a pretty shocking situation tbh, a major problem that would of taken just moments to notice.

Well the latest MangaUK Podcast confirms it, the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Collection will now be released in two parts on Blu-ray. Part 1 on May 27th, Part 2 on 14th October. Part 1 will have a box to fit both parts in.

This absolutely isn't Manga's fault though, it's Aniplex who threw a hissy fit (quelle surprise). I mean, sure there's no complete collection out in Japan yet, but I was under the impression that Brotherhood underperformed in Japan anyway so it's not like there's a huge demand for it. Even if there was, the discs are going to be locked to region B anyway so why on earth would a savvy Japanese importer pick the now non-existent complete UK set over the two-part US Region A Funimation release? Licensing contracts really must be a nightmare.

Anywho I have the US volumes already, but this is an annoyance to those who have been waiting for this for a long time. I'm still convinced that there's a curse with MangaUK and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on blu-ray :p

Region locking is a triviality, ultimately; it's only naive companies who think it actually stops grey importing. So it makes sense for them to want to keep things fair between foreign regions (for once). I wonder if the box will be nice?

If they'd known in advance that this was happening it would have been nice to have part one contain the first two sets' worth of episodes and part two the previously-unreleased (in the UK) BD episodes, then they'd have far fewer different combinations of FMA:B on BD floating around confusingly. Oops.

R

Madman Entertainment managed to get a complete Blu-ray collection out for Brotherhood (it also had Milos), that just collected the individual volumes into a gorgeous artbox. It was damned limited though, I wonder if Aniplex beat the crap out of them for releasing it as it vanished in a matter of weeks.

Other things to note from the podcast, Cat Planet Cuties has been delayed again to 8th July. They converted the video from NTSC -PAL, but forgot to retime the subtitles. I guess that confirms that Madman's release was NTSC or they would have just released that.

They've had to reauthor Horizon on/in the Middle of Nowhere because of the confusion over the on/in but. Which is it? Apparently it didn;t match up to licensor requirements and BBFC naming regulations so it's back to square one for that.

I know someone will accuse the Japanese side and paint the western companies as innocent, but if this happens a lot is there no sign-off process in place to agree on release formats before having to redo all that work at the last minute? :s

Screw-ups like that seem much less common in the US when the greater output is considered. There are only a few instances I can think of where the Japanese side obviously made a complaint relatively late in the production process and messed things up for the US release (lately these tend to relate to BDs...).

And the BBFC has naming regulations? I learn something new every day.

R

Rui said:
And the BBFC has naming regulations? I learn something new every day.

R

Basically the name on the cover has to be the same as the name on the discs, and the same as the actual name of the show/movie as presented in the opening credits, or something. Then again, I noted three mistakes on today's podcast so I could be wrong about Manga being right about that.

A box to fit both releases in? That however, is something new from Manga that I'd like to see happen more often *points to FUNimation*.

Ath said:
Well the latest MangaUK Podcast confirms it, the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Complete Collection will now be released in two parts on Blu-ray. Part 1 on May 27th, Part 2 on 14th October. Part 1 will have a box to fit both parts in.

This absolutely isn't Manga's fault though, it's Aniplex who threw a hissy fit (quelle surprise). I mean, sure there's no complete collection out in Japan yet, but I was under the impression that Brotherhood underperformed in Japan anyway so it's not like there's a huge demand for it. Even if there was, the discs are going to be locked to region B anyway so why on earth would a savvy Japanese importer pick the now non-existent complete UK set over the two-part US Region A Funimation release? Licensing contracts really must be a nightmare.

Anywho I have the US volumes already, but this is an annoyance to those who have been waiting for this for a long time. I'm still convinced that there's a curse with MangaUK and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on blu-ray :p
Because of course something has to go wrong with FMA Brohood.

Though Manga should have just released both SKUs in the one go (It's not a complete collection, there's not a court that would say otherwise) there and then and told Aniplex to wind their overpricing neck in in not so many words.

Gintama's all on them though.

What I wonder about the FMA:B situation is, was it MangaUK getting the go-ahead and then Aniplex changing their minds, or did MangaUK go ahead with plans before getting approval and were then told no? The podcast left that one pretty vague.

Joshawott said:
What I wonder about the FMA:B situation is, was it MangaUK getting the go-ahead and then Aniplex changing their minds, or did MangaUK go ahead with plans before getting approval and were then told no? The podcast left that one pretty vague.

If it's the latter, then I guess Manga were at fault after all for not reading the paperwork properly. Maybe they only noticed when Manga submitted the cover to them for approval?

Joshawott said:
Well of course, heaven forbid you upset the shogun of crazy land by insuating he's at fault!

In the podcast, it didn't really seem like MangaUK were pointing fingers at anyone for the situation of a planned boxset being split into two. Just that Aniplex said they were only allowed to do half-season sets. They didn't say whose fault it was for this current situation.

Joshawott said:
In the podcast, it didn't really seem like MangaUK were pointing fingers at anyone for the situation of a planned boxset being split into two. Just that Aniplex said they were only allowed to do half-season sets. They didn't say whose fault it was for this current situation.
Well let's use logic here;

Up until now, Manga were going to put it out in one Box set, now they're being told no.

The culprit is sitting there with a bloody knife and no one wants to finger 'm.

Back