The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

ConanThe3rd said:
Joshawott said:
In the podcast, it didn't really seem like MangaUK were pointing fingers at anyone for the situation of a planned boxset being split into two. Just that Aniplex said they were only allowed to do half-season sets. They didn't say whose fault it was for this current situation.
Well let's use logic here;

Up until now, Manga were going to put it out in one Box set, now they're being told no.

The culprit is sitting there with a bloody knife and no one wants to finger 'm.

You assume some kind of crime has been committed.

Sure we'd like a nice 10 disc set but 2x5 is fine and will still represent a saving over the half season sets. The time to get mad is when they force us to wait 2-3 years for a boxed set.

Joshawott said:
In the podcast, it didn't really seem like MangaUK were pointing fingers at anyone for the situation of a planned boxset being split into two. Just that Aniplex said they were only allowed to do half-season sets. They didn't say whose fault it was for this current situation.
And Aniplex made this demand after Manga had obtained the licence and announced a single boxed set? At what point are these things agreed, is there no such thing as a contract in the world of anime or what? I'd have thought things like release pattern restrictions would have been there in black and white when Manga signed - If they were, then someone should be reading more carefully before announcing a release which wasn't allowed. If they weren't, then surely Manga can do whatever the bloody hell they like.

I don't like the way that Manga UK's vagueness seems to encourage fans to blame the Japanese side for every single thing. While I don't doubt the illogic of most licensor requests and there's no easy way for Manga UK to explain them without compromising their own need for privacy, I would think that it's ultimately Manga UK's responsibility to solicit something they have a signed contract to sell. Funimation managed to get their sets out without masses of drama, so there's obviously a procedure that can be followed for this.

Perhaps I'm too used to the Japanese way of doing business where screw-ups result in deep personal apologies and acceptance of responsibility instead of drama. I received a personally-addressed letter of apology yesterday for some typos a company made in a magazine I'm subscribed to, along with a free reissued copy, even though I never reported the typos and didn't care. It's like a different world.

One thing I find especially strange is that in most other industries, blaming the people who provide the products you resell doesn't tend to have a good outcome in future negotiations.

R

There wasn't any vagueness, the podcast made it pretty clear that Manga assumed a BD box set would be fine based on their complete set DVD release, but Aniplex pointed out that it wasn't. Jerome accepted full responsibility and apologized for making a bad call.

The lesson for Manga is clearly 'don't assume, it makes an ass out of u and me'.

Yeah I already have the series in volumes which I hated doing since I do like complete boxsets and am a bit OCD with it therefore the news it being split in two would grate me haha but I'm nowhere near as OCD enough to buy the series again just to have it as a boxset, so I guess this news isn't too disappointing for me.

Rosencrantz said:
ConanThe3rd said:
Joshawott said:
Well let's use logic here;

Up until now, Manga were going to put it out in one Box set, now they're being told no.

The culprit is sitting there with a bloody knife and no one wants to finger 'm.

You assume some kind of crime has been committed.

Sure we'd like a nice 10 disc set but 2x5 is fine and will still represent a saving over the half season sets. The time to get mad is when they force us to wait 2-3 years for a boxed set.
And if Aniplex can levy this demand so short of the release date and get away with it, what makes you think they won't try such a plot?

If you want to just aimlessly rant about how evil Aniplex are with no real justification, please do so on some personal blog. It was already explained that Manga UK took responsibility for the mistake on their part, not checking whether the release format they planned was acceptable.

This is a news thread. I'm afraid the fact that Conan is always angry at Japanese companies isn't news to anyone.

R

manga_addicted95 said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2013-05-01/australia-madman-ent-to-release-fate/zero-dvds

.....................YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet, this is the news I've been waiting for, I guess it's to be expected that they can give no date given a US release will surely be first. At least we know region B BD's will be available.

Joshawott said:
Just Passing Through said:
Daisuki's official launch date. 16th May

Interview with more details
Yes!

Good to have a date, but that's a little light on specifics. I think it was a safe bet that there'd be some paid content, interesting to see them having a shop attached to the site.

The question now is how will this affect existing sites? Will they lose the ability to licence most big name series?

Maybe they are surprised as to how many units were sold as they thought most anime fans would of already owned it, considering it is a re-release?

Just Passing Through said:
Daisuki's official launch date. 16th May

Interview with more details
This is interesting, but as already pointing out still lacking a little in specifics. Having already missed their initial date of "April", I sincerely hope they do hit the May 16th date.

Rui said:
This is a news thread. I'm afraid the fact that Conan is always angry at Japanese companies isn't news to anyone.
I lolled pretty hard here.

Another AU exclusive noitaminA release from Siren Visual

Out July from Siren Visual - HAKABA KITARO!

Comic-book yōkai coolness from the wild Kenji Nakamura (C For Control, Mononoke), who we are nuts about here at Siren HQ. This is the series from 2008, which was based on the manga classic 'GeGeGe no Kitarō' from Shigeru Mizuki...it's something of a classic in Japan where it has been around in some animated or printed form since 1968.

It'll be sub-only, DVD-only and another exclusive Oz-first noitaminA release from Siren. More info as it comes to hand, so don't slam us with tech-spec-blech questions just yet!t/quote]

Also they make a positive but noncomittal noise about Tsuritama

Back